Light-O-Rama Forums

Winter and Rain.

Guy Dreger

Being in Canada and having the very end of my Halloween show rained out, I've been thinking about Christmas and the many feet of snow that will be out there. So I have a few questions.

Does anyone know what would happen to the LOR controlers if something shorts out?
How do people generally deal with snow/rain. I could electrical tape the extention cores to make the water proff but that would be a pain to undo and it doesn't help the actual displays. What are other people doing to prevent these kinds of problems?

#1 You can not make this stuff waterproof, all you will do is trap water.

The controllers as shipped will work just fine in the snow, rain, sleet and ice. No need to di anything to them.

Just keep your extension cord connections slightly off the ground so the water can run right through and not puddle.

Hey JBullard your in Chattanooga still? I just ordered my first LOR package last week for a display in Soddy Daisy. Would be cool to come check out your setup some time.

Guest Don Gillespie

Guy Dreger wrote:

Being in Canada and having the very end of my Halloween show rained out, I've been thinking about Christmas and the many feet of snow that will be out there. So I have a few questions.

Does anyone know what would happen to the LOR controlers if something shorts out?
How do people generally deal with snow/rain. I could electrical tape the extention cores to make the water proff but that would be a pain to undo and it doesn't help the actual displays. What are other people doing to prevent these kinds of problems?

Welcome aboard the more you are on the forum the more you will learn, being originally from Winipeg, I know about the snow you guys get, I keep all my plugs about 8 inches off the ground so no water or snow gets in, this will be my third year with LOR and no problems with the LOR gear, only problems on my end all user problems LOL :)

Don Gillespie wrote:

being originally from Winipeg

Well, I can't imagine why you left this weather. :D

Anyway. Great to hear from someone from Winnipeg.

Sounds like the consensuses is that the little bit of water that will get into the wiring (if it's off the ground) will not be enough to cause a short.

Still, For my own curiosity. Does anyone know if the controllers will freak out or fry if something shorts out?

I fried a triac on a DC controller from a short on that channel. LOR sent me a new triac and I was able to repair it.

Guy Dreger wrote:

Still, For my own curiosity.  Does anyone know if the controllers will freak out or fry if something shorts out?

Well, like anything electronic, the controllers would "protest" if you shorted across an output channel.

But weather usually will not cause that. With your concerns about shorts, be sure you use GFCIs

There are LOTS of threads on here about weather protection. Even the old threads still have good info, so search for them.

Bottom line, all the comments above are great.
Keep female plug pointing downward. That's the easiest thing to do to prevent water collecting inside the plug and tripping your GFCI

Guy Dreger wrote:

Does anyone know what would happen to the LOR controllers if something shorts out?
How do people generally deal with snow/rain. I could electrical tape the extension cords to make them water proof but that would be a pain to undo and it doesn't help the actual displays. What are other people doing to prevent these kinds of problems?

Well there is always the 1st time for me, but I have been doing this musical shows since 2007 & I had no problems with shorting out.

I have wrapped electrical tape around plug in in the past & the way I wrap them nothing has gotten in including me after I was ready for take down.

Lor claims that these controllers are good to -40F & most of us Canadians that live up here in the Edmonton area can verify that that is true. We have had -40F temps this past 3 years & on 1 year we had -51F (twice) on back to back days.

Besides are you prepared to cover 200+ cords?

Also some of my controller lay flat (above the ground about 6") and I do cover them in a green plastic garbage bag, however that just me, there might be others but that how I do it. Even with the 4ft of snow we had last year everything works just find and even with the cords buried under that snow everything still worked.

However if there is a malfunction at the junction with 1 of the controllers I have a spare card.......(actually two this year).....because I changed my display somewhat this year by removing a display item & adding a matrix instead.

I certainly wish you all the best.

Guy Dreger wrote:

Yes.

I once forgot to completely close the plastic enclosure. (This was a few years ago when you had to use a screwdriver to close the boxes.) It rained, the box flooded, and the controller stopped working. It wouldn't respond, and I can't remember what the status light was doing, but it didn't work.

I swapped the board with a spare, and took the flooded board inside to test. It still wouldn't work.

Then I let it dry for a couple of days and it started working again.

I live in Edmonton and it can get to minus cold here.
3rd year for me and no problems (with the controllers)!