Light-O-Rama Forums

QR Code for your web site

Richard Hamilton

You all have lots of spare time, right? Well here is something else to waste time doing.

I've seen a couple of clever users on here using QR code for their avatars. That's cute. Whether you realize it or not, you gave me an idea. Some other users are likely doing this already, but I didn't see a posting during a forum search.

It looks like America might finally be coming around to do what Japan has been doing for more than a decade... using QR codes. You probably see them at Best Buy, newspaper ads, on TV, etc for the last year or so.

So I decided to put one on my web site, such that when people scan it with their smart mobile device (phone, iPad, etc.) they will get the address, email, and other info into their phone and can save as a contact if they want. Obviously, they can then call it up on a map, etc.

http://magiclightshow.com/location.htm

A lot of you are familiar with this already, but to make a general comment for the people who don't know, the QR is just a simple way to automatically import text information, email addresses, phone, URL links, etc into a smart mobile device so they don't have type it all in manually.

Take a look at this one on my site. There are a gillion free QR code generators online. The one I used to generate a "Contact" code was the Maestro SparQ software...

http://www.sparqcode.com/static/maestro

Have you found your favorite QR code generator or smart phone app? Then post it for us.

Yea, I didn't know it was so simple either. Actually I stole the idea from William after seeing his avatar QR code and seeing one from some other person. I guess I owe royalties :shock:

I just did a little Googling around and found lots of free stuff to use online.

Display brochures? Hmmm, yup another good place to put it.

The only thing I will add here is keep in mind that you can do a bunch of different types of QR content.

The two that seem right for Xmas displays is to have either a "me" card (contain contact info like address, email, and URL), or simply have an Address so it will come up in their browser map. It might seem redundant to also but the web site URL in the QR code, but I wanted a way for them to easily access the web site from their mobile device while in front of the house (to get updated show info, etc)

Where did yoiu guys put your QR code? I'd like to take a look at it.