Light-O-Rama Forums

Tomato Cage Mini Trees

jbitzer

This topic may have been discussed before however I could not find anything using the search function.

I'm putting together some mini trees using tomato cages bought at my local Home Depot. Several different site/instructional guides show using 2 cages per tree. One thing that has me puzzled is every photograph of the tree (without lights) the two cages look symmetrical where all 6 vertical wires are evenly spaced around the base.

For some reason these cages aren't built this way. The large ring at the bottom measures 49" around. The spacing of the 3 vertical supports is 12" between the 1st & 2nd, 16.5" between 2nd & 3rd, and 20.5 between 3rd & 1st. Not that I'm anal and the spacing has to be exactly 16.33" apart however because they are not evenly spaced it give the structure an uneven look.

Has anyone else found this with the tomato cages they are using and would it make a difference if I snapped off the supports and soldered/welded/zip tied/epoxy them on at even intervals? My finished structure before lights looks nothing like any of the photos.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jeff

jbitzer wrote:

This topic may have been discussed before however I could not find anything using the search function.

I'm putting together some mini trees using tomato cages bought at my local Home Depot. Several different site/instructional guides show using 2 cages per tree. One thing that has me puzzled is every photograph of the tree (without lights) the two cages look symmetrical where all 6 vertical wires are evenly spaced around the base.

For some reason these cages aren't built this way. The large ring at the bottom measures 49" around. The spacing of the 3 vertical supports is 12" between the 1st & 2nd, 16.5" between 2nd & 3rd, and 20.5 between 3rd & 1st. Not that I'm anal and the spacing has to be exactly 16.33" apart however because they are not evenly spaced it give the structure an uneven look.

Has anyone else found this with the tomato cages they are using and would it make a difference if I snapped off the supports and soldered/welded/zip tied/epoxy them on at even intervals? My finished structure before lights looks nothing like any of the photos.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jeff
Others may think different but my spacing was off and I just got it as close to be round as it will allow then used zip ties to lock it in place. The main purpose of the two cage method is that if you used one your mini tree would have sort of a triangle appearance, using two rounds it off a bit. Once you wrap it with 150 to 300 mini lights or LED's you won't notice the spacing.

here is a pic of MY first mini I built. I left the biggest ring alone and cut each other ring beetween the uprights... then I shrunk the cage down to create what I felt to be a more symetrical tree.

Attached files 275152=15202-IMG_3123.JPG

I used tomato cages and added straightened wire hangers to them (vertically) to get the same effect.

I also wrapped one (maybe 2) in chicken wire, but that was nothing more than a waste of time with a side of aggravation.

Used fishing line from top to bottom. Not really sure why this is an issue though after all. They really just blink on and off for a few seconds. If you have them on for any length of time I really don't see someone in the car going "look at that blob over there!!"

Dan Ancona wrote:

I really don't see someone in the car going "look at that blob over there!!"

and all this time I thought they were making a comment about ME!!!

:P

jimswinder wrote:

Dan Ancona wrote:

You're hilarious. :D I can identify with that comment for sure.

jimswinder wrote:

Dan Ancona wrote:

Who said they weren't??:cool:

I used 2 cages. I cut the tips so they were all the same length, then bent the tips over about an inch. Used a zip tie to tie the tips together. I used 4 colors, probably and inch space between.

I'll get pictures posted when I can.

wallleyes wrote:

I wrapped my tomato cages with chicken wire.

I wrapped mine with tomatoes...

Attached files 275411=15215-spr2007_tomato_cages_and_stakes.jpg

jimswinder wrote:

wallleyes wrote:

do the tomato's fall over?;):D

jimswinder wrote:

wallleyes wrote:

Now that's funny right thar. Don't care who ya R.

How do ya see them at night?

David Rise wrote:

jimswinder wrote:
wallleyes wrote:

Now that's funny right thar. Don't care who ya R.

How do ya see them at night?
LED modified tomatoes!