Light-O-Rama Forums

Visualizer exceeding maximum number of fixtures allowed

heystew

I am receiving different error messages when trying to add any more fixtures or props to my Visualization. It appears I've hit the maximum number of fixtures in the tool. I sure hope there is a way around this as I am only about 2/3 done drawing last years display and was planning on growing substantially this year.

Error messages and Error Log entry below:

When adding a large prop i receive:
"Error: Could Not load the prop's body"

When adding a small prop i receive
"You have created the maximum number (1024) of fixtures"

When pasting a small prop i receive the error message:
"You cannot paste this prop since it would exceed the maximum number (1024) fixtures allowed"

10/22/2011 9:37:42 PM:LORVisualizer.frmLVizFixtureProperties.DrawExampleLights-226 (Object variable or With block variable not set)

There is a 1024 fixture limit. You'll have to reduce the number of fixtures you use.

You shouldn't be getting an error in the log for that however. I'll have a look at that.

Mike,
thanks for confirmation of the limitation. I fully understand the need to place some limits on the tool, however I have several problems with it:

1. This, as far as I can tell, is an undocumented limitation. Had I known it was limited to 1024 fixtures I never would have started to create my display in the Visualizer as I could tell you it would be more than 1024.

2. This is a step backwards from what the animation window can do. I had last years display fully captured in the animation window and, if i understand how it is counting fixtures, my display would have been about 1400-1500 fixtures. And it would have grown to about 4300 fixtures this year.

3. With the introduction of support for up to 16 networks in S2 and now with up to 16 additional DMX universes in S3, this limitation seems to be in direct conflict with the ever expanding number of channels that the software supports.

As to simplifying my fixtures below 1024, that would require me to reduce my channel count significantly. My Visualization is not loaded up with lots of extra fixtures on each channel. It's basically one fixture per channel.

dave

BTW.. we appreciate that you are on here during the weekend answering questions!

Your 1 channel per fixture is probably the problem. String fixtures for instance are designed to carry 16 channels.

I see a lot of people that are going for photo realisim, and that simply isn't possible. I also see a lot of people who are trying to make their Visualizer into what the Animator was. They work completely different, and you'll need to learn how to work within the tool.

For example, I see a lot of people creating multiple fixtures for the same display element, because they want different colors. Instead, they should be looking at the string type and how they can mold their element into one. For example, if you have a wreath that can be 5 colors, don't create 5 single bulb fixtures all in the same spot. Create 1 string fixture with 5 channels. Not only will you save 4 fixtures, the performance will be better.

I'm sorry the 1024 fixture limit bit you. I'll change the documentation so it's clear.

• Like 1

Mike,
thanks for the reply. I actually have tried to do that. With the exception of some items. The reason i did that is from what i can tell the channel wizard will only detect 4 channels if you have 4 fixtures. Is there a way to make it know that a fixture is 4 channels?

that said, this will save me maybe 100 fixtures. And i am definitely not going for photo realism. I started using the Visualizer because i thought it would give me some flexibility to move elements that the animation window would not as well as a hope for easier creation of new elements.

thanks,
dave

The Channel wizard is fixture aware. If you are using it to assign channels to STRING fixtures, it will allow you to assign up to 16 channels. The screens shots here only show 4, but the wizard supports the full number of channels for a fixture type: http://www.lightorama.com/downloads/3.0.0/help/channel_assignment_wizard_non_.htm

... and don't forget you can manually assign them as well.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

2 solutions I have found:

1)  Instead of having a "dot" for every pixel just delete every 2nd or 3rd dot, it all still runs in time etc and looks OK.

2)  As per another post and taught to me by dougd just today..... Have 2 sequence files open.  One will have all your normal stuff in it, universes, controllers etc, just as you are now.  In the 2nd sequence create CCR's as a string of 50 pixels is only counted as 1 fixture as opposed to e.g 50pix prop using 50 fixtures.

You create a CCR ribbon, max is 50px but you can add a bit more to it by creating another ribbon afterwards and choosing the 2nd option when box pops up (cant think what it says right now).  Go into the configuration of it and pick an ID number, it doesnt matter what ID you choose as this is purely for visualizer, not showtime.  You will likely have leftover bits of lines as you HAVE to create 50px ribbons at a time, just put all your "bits of lines" on top of each other in a pile somewhere in the vis screen (bottom out of the way) and dont assign any ID to them.  So long as you havent assigned any ID to them they wont show when playing sequence/visualizer.

So you can run the CCR sequence and you will see how it will all really look in visualizer.  Then copy/paste the sequence over to your ACTUAL sequence (with set controllers).

Edited by ShellNZ

So this is what you and Doug were workin on last night during the comedy hour with eddy...great info, thanks!

• 2 months later...

Your 1 channel per fixture is probably the problem. String fixtures for instance are designed to carry 16 channels.

I see a lot of people that are going for photo realisim, and that simply isn't possible. I also see a lot of people who are trying to make their Visualizer into what the Animator was. They work completely different, and you'll need to learn how to work within the tool.

For example, I see a lot of people creating multiple fixtures for the same display element, because they want different colors. Instead, they should be looking at the string type and how they can mold their element into one. For example, if you have a wreath that can be 5 colors, don't create 5 single bulb fixtures all in the same spot. Create 1 string fixture with 5 channels. Not only will you save 4 fixtures, the performance will be better.

I'm sorry the 1024 fixture limit bit you. I'll change the documentation so it's clear.

So why is there a limit, with the addition of Pixels now you can chew that up pretty fast

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Is there anywhere that I can display the number of fixtures that I currently have in my Visualizer. Since there is a limit of 1024, it would be nice to know how close I am to the limit.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I am having the same problem with the 1024 limit.   I guess it was never an issue until pixel support.   My whole display is only 1600 fixtures and about 400 of it is just LOR controlled lights,  the rest is pixel strips.   It seams like just when one problem gets corrected another problem rears it's head.

One thing I did try from something I got from another post was to delete every other pixel and that dropped everything considerably.  It is a work around, but not quite satisfactory.

I'm running two visualizer windows.  One has the bulk of my display from last year and the other has the new group of pixel mini trees I'm adding this year.  It definitely puts a strain on the CPU!

LOR needs to support pixel strings as a single fixture.  Until this happens the visualizer is of no use to me.

LOR needs to support pixel strings as a single fixture.  Until this happens the visualizer is of no use to me.

Cosmic Color Pixels, Cosmic Color Bulbs, and Cosmic Color ribbons are supported in a single fixture.  Well, actually 1 fixture per string, so a full CCB/CCP takes 2 fixtures - 1 for each string.

Is LOR coming out with a variable length CCdevice?   Maybe something like that could be supported in software before the string comes out.. if ever.