Light-O-Rama Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Caleb Linburg

Win 97

Caleb Linburg wrote:

Would there be a way to get a lor software version to run on windows 97. I would like to run the display on an older computer.

S2 supports Windows 98SE and higher.
S3 supports Windows XP and higher.

See this post from Bob. http://forums.lightorama.com/forum55/28469.html

Caleb Linburg wrote:

So there would be no way to run the show on a wn 97 computer?

I highly doubt it.

There is no Win97.. there is Windows 3.0, Windows 3.1, Windows95, 98, Windows 98 SecondEdition, Windows 2000, Millennium, XP, Vista and Win 7.

There was version of Windows around that said Windows 97 on the boot up screen.

This was early editions of Windows 98 before it was released publically.

It wasn't officially called Windows 97 anywhere except in the boot screen image.

To the best of my knowledge its pretty much identical to Windows 98 (not 98SE)

He could be taking about Office 97.

Tell your friend to right click "My Computer" and select properties.

BillyTRichVa wrote:

I still have my floppys from windows 2.1! Nothing ran on that thing!

I suggest sending an email to wishlist@lightorama.com about this.

bob wrote:

BillyTRichVa wrote:
I still have my floppys from windows 2.1! Nothing ran on that thing!

I suggest sending an email to wishlist@lightorama.com about this.

Post of the day!

Win 97 did exist, it was a trivial mod of Win95.

PaulXmas wrote:

He could be taking about Office 97.

If you've figured out a way to run LOR under Office 97 I want in! I'd love to be able to use Excel run the lights! I've written so much VBA and SQL code at work it's starting to give me some ideas.

Hey! it could be worse... He might have wanted to run it on Apple !!e or TRS-80!

You are probably going to need to run it on a newer computer with at least Win 2000 on it.

Richard Hamilton wrote:

Hey!  it could be worse... He might have wanted to run it on Apple !!e or TRS-80!

You are probably going to need to run it on a newer computer with at least Win 2000 on it.

S3 needs Win XP or newer

JBullard wrote:

Richard Hamilton wrote:
Hey! it could be worse... He might have wanted to run it on Apple !!e or TRS-80!

S3 needs Win XP or newer

Hmmm, that is interesting. I am running it on an old computer in the garage with Win 2K. Is there functionality I am missing? It seems to work fine!

That's great!

Just stated the official minimum specs for S3.

If it indeed does say Win97, then it has to be an Alpha/Beta/Dogfood build.....much more curious about the hardware on which it runs, is it from '97 too?

well... I am using windows 2063

which remindes me did anybody hear any update on the supposed Windows 8

Richard Hamilton wrote:

JBullard wrote:
Richard Hamilton wrote:
Hey!  it could be worse... He might have wanted to run it on Apple !!e or TRS-80!

S3 needs Win XP or newer

Hmmm, that is interesting.  I am running it on an old computer in the garage with Win 2K.  Is there functionality I am missing?  It seems to work fine!

Some of the programs in the suite need functions from Windows that were only available starting with XP. For example, you may have problems starting or running the Visualizer.

You are more than welcome to install and try to run the suite on unsupported platforms. Unfortunately, if you have a support issue with one, we won't be able to help you.

DevMike wrote:

Richard Hamilton wrote:
JBullard wrote:
Richard Hamilton wrote:

S3 needs Win XP or newer

Hmmm, that is interesting. I am running it on an old computer in the garage with Win 2K. Is there functionality I am missing? It seems to work fine!

Some of the programs in the suite need functions from Windows that were only available starting with XP. For example, you may have problems starting or running the Visualizer.

You are more than welcome to install and try to run the suite on unsupported platforms. Unfortunately, if you have a support issue with one, we won't be able to help you.

Hmmm... My show machine for the past few years has been running Win2k. One of my projects since upgrading has been to do some swapping to get an XP machine to run the show. I definately will not run the visualizer on the show box though. I'm now wondering if it's worth a little effort to see if the shows will run on it or not.

It's your decision if you want to test it or not. Me personally? If the company is telling me it's not supported then I would be testing it heavily for sure.

To clarify what I am doing...

I do all of my show development work on Win7... creating sequences, etc.

I only RUN the shows from an older Win2K computer and all has run fine. Just for giggles, I tried running the visualizer on the W2K computer and it ran fine... I understand about minimum supported computers. If I have trouble, I will upgrade to Win 7 at that time, yet as long as everything is working on the OS, you know the ole adage, "If it ain't broke....

:-)