Light-O-Rama Forums

My first Rainbow Flood build

CLD Kevin

Double RF in Lowes 500W work light. First time soldering too. I was going to paint it black....too much extra work.

1 down....5 more to go.

Attached files 254960=13974-P1010017.JPG

Close Up. I solder 2 RF together using 18awg wire. Tie-wrap it to the mounting board, then hot glue the corners.

Attached files 254961=13975-P1010019.JPG

4-core waterproof connector from RayWu. I had him make them 18" long, 18awg wire and black jacket instead of the standard 6", 20awg and white jacket.

Attached files 254962=13976-P1010018.JPG

Rear waterproof plastic housing where the wires from the RF connects to the 4-core waterproof connector. Both are 18awg. I used Molex Mini-Fit Jr connectors to connect the two. I guess I could of used reg wire nuts, but I have a bunch of these. Very small, very easy to make and can use 24 to 18awg wire.

Attached files 254963=13977-P1010020.JPG

Jeff Millard wrote:

That thing is just downright SEXY! :shock::D:cool::D

Jeff

If molex's turn you on, hate to see what CCR's are doing to ya...:P:D

cenote wrote:

Jeff Millard wrote:

Jeff

Can you imagine??

Dan Ancona wrote:

cenote wrote:
Jeff Millard wrote:

Jeff

Can you imagine??

Rather not since this was bad enough:

attachment.php?id=13927

Jeff Millard wrote:

That thing is just downright SEXY! :shock::P:cool::)

Jeff

Here some more Sexiness...

5 down...1 more left.

Attached files 255336=14009-P1010021.JPG

I know theres been a lot of debate about how bright these are compaired to floods but...

Really....

How do they compair as a wall wash against a 85watt red or green flood?

That's my biggest hold up agains going with these...

crackchecker wrote:

I know theres been a lot of debate about how bright these are compaired to floods but...

Really....

I bought a bunch of 100W Red and Greens a few years ago...no comparison to Minions LED floods I used for my 2010 shows. LEDs are bright and good wash. But I had problems...I couldn't get the LEDs to fade with the current firmware. And I had to use the x-larger size LED floods (120 LEDs per) for Red and Orange. Blue and Green I used the large size (72 LEDs per). They come in smaller sizes too. The cost of the Minions LEDS for just one color plus the fact they didn’t fade made me look at other options. I didn’t think the single RF was bright enough which is why I doubled them. But you bring up a good question I would like to know myself. How do the RF compare to the LED floods. I have both...maybe I’ll do a comparison.

Cracker wrote:

crackchecker wrote:

Really....

I bought a bunch of 100W Red and Greens a few years ago...no comparison to Minions LED floods I used for my 2010 shows. LEDs are bright and good wash. But I had problems...I couldn't get the LEDs to fade with the current firmware. And I had to use the x-larger size LED floods (120 LEDs per) for Red and Orange. Blue and Green I used the large size (72 LEDs per). They come in smaller sizes too. The cost of the Minions LEDS for just one color plus the fact they didn’t fade made me look at other options. I didn’t think the single RF was bright enough which is why I doubled them. But you bring up a good question I would like to know myself. How do the RF compare to the LED floods. I have both...maybe I’ll do a comparison.
post a video, i would like to see that!

Received a few messages if I had any pictures of the RF lit up. I did a comparison test a few months ago and posted the results. These were of just this year’s RF. I did not have any from last year. The comparison is between a single and double RF...not against any other product. However, my house color is dark brown and has brick...two of the worse scenarios you would want if you’re trying to wash your house.

Here is the link for the post and I’ve attach the pictures too in pdf format.

http://forums.lightorama.com/forum79/26544.html

Attached files Rainbow Flood V2.pdf

Double floods are way cool! Looks like another order to SE!:P
I also noticed that the boards were installed upside down of each other. Is that on purpose or for no reason at all?

Thanks Cracker for the test and pics!

Cracker wrote:

Received a few messages if I had any pictures of the RF lit up. I did a comparison test a few months ago and posted the results. These were of just this year’s RF. I did not have any from last year. The comparison is between a single and double RF...not against any other product. However, my house color is dark brown and has brick...two of the worse scenarios you would want if you’re trying to wash your house.

Here is the link for the post and I’ve attach the pictures too in pdf format.

http://forums.lightorama.com/forum79/26544.html
that was great and thanks!