Light-O-Rama Forums

Leaping Arches

kevinbrice

This is a great idea for arches, and while I'm sitting here thinking about my display next year, I have to ask a few questions that I haven't seen commented on in all the threads around the Harbs sleeves.

7 segments on 10' sounds fine. That gives us the 16" segments and some left over. My question is, do the 100ct CDI strings work on these 16" segments? Assume using the 1" segment diameter.

I'm trying to figure out what I will need to order for next year, besides a bunch of controllers.
:D

Guest Don Gillespie

PKingRoch wrote:

This is a great idea for arches, and while I'm sitting here thinking about my display next year, I have to ask a few questions that I haven't seen commented on in all the threads around the Harbs sleeves.

7 segments on 10' sounds fine. That gives us the 16" segments and some left over. My question is, do the 100ct CDI strings work on these 16" segments? Assume using the 1" segment diameter.

I'm trying to figure out what I will need to order for next year, besides a bunch of controllers.
:D

I am currently using 100 ct incadesants, not next year will be ordering the 100 Ct LEDS from Paul it seems to me that the incadesants go dark far to quickly, I to use the 7 sleeve method with 16 inch sleeves I spaced my rebar at 6 feet to give me a nice rounded look, works well for my display keep in mind every display is different, I am using one and half inch PVC for my sleeves and three quarter inch PVC for the main line that the sleeves slide over, I tried the one inch PVC and when I put everything up I noticed there was a bend in the arch that looked like garbage so after I made the switch my arch turned out perfect.

Hmmm, after some additional research, I might be looking at CCRs instead. It may actually be cheaper that arches with all those segments and controllers to run them.

Comments?

PKingRoch wrote:

Hmmm, after some additional research, I might be looking at CCRs instead. It may actually be cheaper that arches with all those segments and controllers to run them.

Comments?

Considering that you can make any color that you want, this is a thing I've been looking at as well. I'm planning 4 arches using 2 controllers either way.

:) I am right there with you guys. The list price is $250 for a CCR

If I am making a 12 foot arch and 9 segments with 70 LEDs on each segment. That is M6 at 16.50/ea $148.50 per arch for one color.. If you want two colors you are at $297... So.

Not to mention taking up 9 channels.

And there is my question. If I want to do 6 arches using CCRs What other equipment will I need. How many channels does a CCR take up on a LOR Controler. What other considerations are there.

Thanks

My understanding (limited) is that a CCR is 150 channels and it hooks right into your LOR network via CAT5. No additional controller needed. It looks like you are limited in the number of CCRs you can have on a network.

I assume adding a new network to an existing one and having the networks synced across the sequence is no big deal, but I would like some addditional feedback from those who have done this before if possible.

ill jump in here and comment... 3rd year LOR user here. have the old fashioned incandecent hand wound arches. (i have the large ones, like Mr. Holdmans display) so i have not found a "sleeve" method that works. so yes, it is a pain to deal with 20 foot 1" grey schedule 40. we do take them apart for storage, but still a pain to store.

as for ccr's for arches, nothing against them (or fireflys for that matter.) but they do offer a different look. and in my opinion, mini light wrapped arches are easier to program in the sequence editor.

re: ccr's and controllers, when you purchase the ccr ribbon, it does come with its own controller. I believe a single controller can run two ribbons, however they will do the same thing. they show up in the seq editor as 3 sets of 50 channels each, one for blue, one for red, and one for green.

hope that helps.

I made a couple of my own large arches this year, (my first year). Now I have two large and two small. It really wasn't that time consuming to do them by hand and not I have them it is just a matter of whether or not I want more for next year..

I made mine in two 9' sections and used a couple in the middle. Stacks are 11'3" apart and the arch is 5' high when done. I used 150 ct LED C7 strings I got at Sam's Club for $19.95 each.

They work great, they come apart so storage is easier.. Perhaps not anywhere near as easy as the sleeve method, but no sense going back and re-doing them.. at least not for me.. But it is a great idea!

I used the CCR's for my arches. They look great. Programming isn't all that hard.

I'll admit that I do like the LED spun arches better, but can't complain about all the options that the CCRs give you.

CCR's....one controller, one ribbon 16' in length, 150 channels. I am using 1 ribbon to make 2 arches each.

I personally do not like the macros, because I'm having problems with getting them to work consistantly. You program the channels on the CCRs the same as you program the channels on the regular controllers or you can use the macros.

David Rise wrote:

I used the CCR's for my arches. They look great. Programming isn't all that hard.

I'll admit that I do like the LED spun arches better, but can't complain about all the options that the CCRs give you.

CCR's....one controller, one ribbon 16' in length, 150 channels. I am using 1 ribbon to make 2 arches each.

I personally do not like the macros, because I'm having problems with getting them to work consistantly. You program the channels on the CCRs the same as you program the channels on the regular controllers or you can use the macros.
Nice...what size PVC did you strap your CCR's to? 1 inch....I have 4 CCR's that I bought during the sale but didn't add them to the show this year, and want to get a start on next years stuff so its not so overwhelming like it was this year...

I have 4 CCRs that I use for arches
I did weight the cost of going LED and 16 channel controllers and found the CCRs were a much better bang for the buck.
I use one CCR for each arch and each CCR is on its own network (you need a USB adapter for each network)I might have gotten away with just using 2 networks.

Programming was easy. But i only used the 4 basic colours this year, white red blue and green. Mainly chases or all on

I attached mine to 2 10 foot grey pvc pipe so it gives me 2 feet of snow before I start to lose them.

3/4" grey PVC. Cut to 99". 96" if you're using rebar.

I stuck the ends into some old 2x4's that I had around. Then drove in 2 12" lag bolts into the ground to hold the 2x4's upright.

Not sure I understand the 2x4 concept..PVC over rebar is how I do mine now, what is the purpose behind the 2x4?

I like the wrapped ones as well. But more bang for the buck with the CCR's.

The 2x4's was just something different to try.

I have 6 CCRs sitting here and I haven't done anything with them for this year.. still thinking..
They are a bugger to program.. at least for me.. I haven't go the fingers to snap in my head yet for SuperStar programming.