Light-O-Rama Forums

What would you do?

scubado

I've been planning my Halloween display and have some ideas in the works. BUT, my daughter works with a haunt locally thats put together by highschool students and they do a great job. This will be their last year, seniors going to college, so they are going bigger and better. I just found out that they have secured the use of a semi-old church that will be destroyed, so they can do anything they want.
I'm thinking about cancelling my own display so I can add my resources to the project. This is too cool an idea to not be a part of. What would you do?
The building is a basic white rectangular building on a wooded one acre lot with huge trees on Main street near the center of town.

If I had such an opportunity I'd probably go for it, but it would really depend.

Is this an all month affair or just one night?

Since I operate my Halloween Display from 10/1 through Halloween night, 10/31 being my last night, and if the endevor was going to be all month or even for a couple weeks I'd do it.

Now if it were only a one night deal, then I'd stick with keeping my display in my own yard.

Just my .05¢ worth.

sounds like a great opportunity to work with your daughter and do a nice display for the community!!!

will you get to use your lor system and talents at the old church?

Go for it. You can do your own Halloween display next year. You'll never get this opportunity back again and you don't want to regret it later.

They run their haunt at least two weekends. I stopped at the church tonight to get some pics and quick servey the grounds. The original church is your basic country church. There was an addition added to one side for office and sunday school. There is a second building in back for a small school. Quite a few broken windows, half are boarded up.
Here is a link to some pics of the church and grounds.
http://s329.photobucket.com/albums/l376/scubado65/Old%20Church/

Guest Don Gillespie

Take the leap and do the display if you are concerned about people coming to your house to see your display put a sign up promoting the church display that way people will not be disappointed when they come your house good luck and post some photos when its all done

I'm hoping to have a meeting with those in charge to discuss what theme or themes to work on, find out how soon we can get into the place to get a good look around and when we can actually start on the interior. Will we have electric, is the place still safe enough, insurance, need a permit? Questions that need answers yet.

It would also be a great location to do Christmas too, but security would be a bigger concern to me.

scubado wrote:

It would also be a great location to do Christmas too, but security would be a bigger concern to me.

This has been posted here before...but since you mentioned "security".. lol

shfr26 wrote:

Am I crazy??? What is the glow on the wall in photo #9??????

looks like an alien head to me...

you saying it SHOULDN'T be there???

Let's see, abandoned church to be destroyed, wanting to do a Halloween setup there. You do the math! Makes ya wonder.

What does your daughter intend to do here? You could do the mad scientist, zombies, demons, or something entirely innocuous. But you'll have to work with them

Definitely something to do. I'd come out if it were anywhere near me. It'd be cool to have a massive LOR project.

I would so go the Church building.

Just my suggestions, keep things simple, use your daughters friends and let them dream up what roles they want to play and put together. People are in the mood to get scared and you do not need elaborate props to scare people. Simple things, lights, sound, touch will give the needed effect.

That would be blast and I would not pass it up.

I just had a quick talk with the leader of the haunt. He's excited for the help and resources. Last years haunted maze was about 1500sqft. This year will be about 3500 sqft. He plans to meet with the owner soon to go through the buildings. One of the buildings doesn't have power, not a huge concern to me, I think I have maybe a few extension cords laying around somewhere. :D He plans to have a big meeting with everyone to discuss plans and assign duties and such around the end of the month.

I totally agree, it's a great opportunity! Both to work with your daughter, and be able to expand. Not having elec local to that one building shouldnt be a prob either if you've got the normal miles of cords we all do..