Light-O-Rama Forums

Video is not full screen randomly.

BrownOut

This is going to be my first year using LOR and I am wanting to have video played to the light sequences. I have converted all my files to WMA 640x480 and saved them to the internal hard drive (not a slower USB drive). I have also tried other formats, but have the same issue.

My problem: When I have a show scheduled, randomly the full screen playback is not full screen and it plays a tiny version in the upper left corner. This happens about one in four times. The rest of the time video plays normal. It happens to any of the video files randomly, not just one. Here is the transition from one sequence to the next using "show on demand". There is a short part where the video is black and this is normal(part of the file has no image). I just left the recording go a little longer so you could see the small size.

Here is where that sequence ends and the next starts normal.

I have tried this on my MacBook pro running WinXP SP3 and my Lenovo desktop running Win7 Pro. Both have different video cards and drivers. I have also tried file types other than WMA and different programs to convert them. Full screen playback always works correctly from sequence editor. Just not when played in a "show".

I have tried using dual and single monitor modes. I am using the latest version of the S2 Advanced LOR software on both. CPU usage is about 10% while playing and I have 4GB RAM in both systems-(commit charge is 700MB or less)

Has anyone else had this issue? Thanks for the help. -logan

Caleb Linburg wrote:

Did you try different Resolutions for that monitor or a different monitor? It could also be a problem with the videos sizes.

I did. I have tried with my Lenovo monitors, Apple display and Epson projector. Resolution and monitor color profile in Windows have also been changed. I tried video file resolutions from 320x240 to 800x600

-logan

In WMP there is a setting for "Video Acceleration". You might try setting it to a lower setting and see if that helps.

Linda wrote:

In WMP there is a setting for "Video Acceleration". You might try setting it to a lower setting and see if that helps.

I forgot to mention this- I have tried different video acceleration settings in Windows media player. I also tried WMP9 and WMP11. The WindowsXP machine did have VLC- I have uninstalled it and rebooted- same issue.

I'm not sure I'm understanding what I'm supposed to be seeing in the videos, so I want to make sure:

The "all of the lights" video is supposed to take up a lot more of the screen than it does? Is that correct?

bob wrote:

I'm not sure I'm understanding what I'm supposed to be seeing in the videos, so I want to make sure:

The "all of the lights" video is supposed to take up a lot more of the screen than it does? Is that correct?

You are correct. I was waiting for the video size to come up incorrect and it happened to be the "All the Lights" video it occurred on this time around while I was recording. I let 7 more videos play correctly and put the video camera down just in time for the next video to play small again while I wasn't recording. Sorry for the bad example.

Hmmm... I'm not sure what would be causing this. It looks to me like it is playing full screen (i.e. not windowed), but only using the top quarter (or whatever) of the screen. I don't think we even have a way to tell it to do that - we can only tell it "play full screen" or "don't play full screen", not "play full screen but only use a little bit of the screen".

My guess would be something related to the graphics card or driver, or potentially an issue in Windows Media Player, but since you're using multiple machines with different graphics cards, and have tried multiple versions of WMP, those seem unlikely.

Perhaps it's something with WMP's interaction with the specific codec used to encode/decode these videos? Perhaps try re-encoding them using a different codec?

Also, is the size that it's displaying at the same size that it would naturally display at in windowed mode? At least approximately? Perhaps try altering the video so that it's larger, and seeing if that helps.

Also, could you please send me (bob@lightorama.com) a copy of a video that it happens on, and a copy of a sequence that uses that video, so that I can try it out here? Thanks.

bob wrote:

Also, could you please send me (bob@lightorama.com) a copy of a video that it happens on, and a copy of a sequence that uses that video, so that I can try it out here? Thanks.

I will have to try and upload it to my FTP site. The video files are larger than 25MB and GMail will not allow the file size- Thanks again for your help.

-logan

I have had these problems as well...and not sure why. It didn't do this prior to 2010's show using the same equipment/computer/projector. It wouldn't matter what video it was and would occur randomly. Most of the time, it would display everything correctly...and then it would take a video that has been playing fine a few times before and run it in a window.

I got the files uploaded finally! My DSL connection is very slow and kept dropping connection.

Here is a sequence and video file that I am using. I can upload more if needed. This is not a finished sequence by the way... just one that intermittently gives me trouble along with all the others.

http://kittycat.net/download/Last%20Christmas%20(Crazy%20Frog%20Remix)%20-%20Wham.wmv

http://kittycat.net/download/Crazy%20Frog%20Last%20Christmas.lms

-logan

MikeH wrote:

I got your video to d/l but can't get the .lms file. All I get is a web page full of code.

MikeH
Try right clicking the link for the sequence and "save link as"... Works both on my Mac and in Windows.

BrownOut wrote:

MikeH wrote:
I got your video to d/l but can't get the .lms file. All I get is a web page full of code.

MikeH
Try right clicking the link for the sequence and "save link as"... Works both on my Mac and in Windows.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but when I try "save target as" ( I don't have "save link as"), I get a Safari xml. I do have Safari but I'm using IE.

MikeH

BrownOut wrote:

MikeH wrote:
I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but when I try "save target as" ( I don't have "save link as"), I get a Safari xml. I do have Safari but I'm using IE.

MikeH

Try this http://kittycat.net/download/Crazy%20Frog%20Last%20Christmas.lms.zip

This one worked. I will run this with a couple of other videos that I have and see if I can duplicate the problem.

MikeH

BrownOut wrote:

This is going to be my first year using LOR and I am wanting to have video played to the light sequences. I have converted all my files to WMA 640x480 and saved them to the internal hard drive (not a slower USB drive). I have also tried other formats, but have the same issue.

My problem: When I have a show scheduled, randomly the full screen playback is not full screen and it plays a tiny version in the upper left corner. This happens about one in four times. The rest of the time video plays normal. It happens to any of the video files randomly, not just one. Has anyone else had this issue? Thanks for the help. -logan

I've been running your video and a couple of mine together. I'm actually having a different problem. If I run the videos back to back, I find that the previous video will minimize to a window on the top left of my screen. It will stay on top of the current playing video. Now, if I seperate the videos by playing a regular musical sequence in between, I see the video window minimize then disappear after about 1.5 seconds. I don't know if there are any other adjustments I need to make on the S2 software or in WMP, as this is the first time I've done a video.

My guess is that WMP needs a couple of seconds in between videos to change over? I don't know, I'm just trying to take a stab at it.

MikeH

If you are trying to run it through the software, you need to go to view, then show video, then full screen.

But it may come down to the video card. You can have an expensive Sony desktop that has a dual monitor video card. However, the software running it is cranky. It depends on which monitor is hooked up when the computer is turned on, etc. However, the Nvidea video card’s software allows you to designate the monitor that will play video “full screen”. This is a simple method of overcoming a recurring problem. By using the Nvidea brand of video cards, you take the guess work out of the computer you use. Almost any old or even rebuilt computer will suffice now and all you have to do is replace the video card. But if you are using a lap top, you may want to check your video software and see if there are any issues within the software. This is why I use a desktop for my show. I seem to have better control on the hardware and software, and my videos work great, especially the video card.

Actionp wrote:

If you are trying to run it through the software, you need to go to view, then show video, then full screen.

But it may come down to the video card. You can have an expensive Sony desktop that has a dual monitor video card. However, the software running it is cranky. It depends on which monitor is hooked up when the computer is turned on, etc. However, the Nvidea video card’s software allows you to designate the monitor that will play video “full screen”. This is a simple method of overcoming a recurring problem. By using the Nvidea brand of video cards, you take the guess work out of the computer you use. Almost any old or even rebuilt computer will suffice now and all you have to do is replace the video card. But if you are using a lap top, you may want to check your video software and see if there are any issues within the software. This is why I use a desktop for my show. I seem to have better control on the hardware and software, and my videos work great, especially the video card.
The software settings are set to "show video" and "full screen". Both of my computers have NVIDIA graphic adapters. My Lenovo is a ThinkStation S20 with a NVIDIA Quadro NVS290 card. I have tried many video driver settings and multiple driver versions. I have also tried different codecs and settings in Windows Media Player.

I think I am going to wait for the latest release of the LOR software and hope for the best.

-logan