Light-O-Rama Forums

Mr Grinch mp3

jeff bush

Yes, it's nuts. I try to get permission, and I think most here do, but there are just times we say to heck with it and use the music anyway.

Checking out that site where you got that info, looking at the "Christmas Music" in the Public Domain, so how the heck is the music industry laying claim to that? Seems a lot of the music used is actually Public Domain, so how the heck are the recording industries getting away with that? Sure sounds like a huge double standard to me, recording companies can sue us for using Christmas music that has been in the PD since 1998! Now how is that legal??? Because if you're using those songs, doesn't matter who sings them, the music/song is PD, so how are the music moguls skirting this issue and holding folks like us hostage with music that really isn't theirs either?!

So many double standards and legaleez gobbledeegook it makes me sick!

And heres another great question, like Halloween CD's that state right on them, great for use at parties, haunted houses or other events. Well that's publicly using the music on them, so how can they state that and then state "can not be used publicly"? Another double whammy!

I have a lot (at least 50 or more) Halloween CD's that have music from horror movies(Psycho, Halloween), TV show themes(Outer Limits, Twilight Zone), specialized sounds and stories, etc. All state use at your party or event (my light display is an event), but some do state just the opposite on the back of the CD, "not for public performance", okay, so which takes precedence here? On the front it says use in haunted houses, parties, etc, but on the back says not for public performance.

Now who is confused?

This is one of my biggest complaints and annoyances with the music industry, even they can't keep it straight, so then how are we supposed too?

I will play it safe and just stand outside next to my display wearing my black cowboy hat, black trench coat, and wielding my smith and wesson. always wanted to combine cowboy's and Christmas.

just need to figure out how to get a horse to stand still for a month and a half.

caniac wrote:

I will play it safe and just stand outside next to my display wearing my black cowboy hat, black trench coat, and wielding my smith and wesson. always wanted to combine cowboy's and Christmas.

just need to figure out how to get a horse to stand still for a month and a half.

Maybe I'll just have all my CD's ready and then when the music company comes to shut me down, bring out all the CD's and demand a refund on all of them saying they are violating my fair use rights.:P

lol now even that contradicts itself you CANNOT play a recording of the music or lyrics in public--even if you own the CD soooooo we can't play our favorite radio station or our own cds come on now that means the whole world should be fined lololol

Ultamitking73 wrote:

lol ........ we can't play our favorite radio station

That is a completely different scenario. Radio stations have the proper license to run their shows.

That person playing CD music in the back yard loudly or the car stereo playing a CD loudly will more than likely get a warning for being to loud than for breaking any public performance laws.

However in my opinion the biggest issue is not the playing of the music in our display but the issue comes when a video is made of the Christmas display with a copyrighted song in it and it is posted on one of those uploading sites.

That is the 1 question record companies ask me. Are you making a video & posting it on YouTube and is there a charge.

When you seek permission be honest & choose your words wisely.

I do not know who seeks permission and who does not when it comes to Christmas displays, but I play it safe and ask permission.

lightzilla wrote:

That is the 1 question record companies ask me. Are you making a video & posting it on YouTube and is there a charge.

When you seek permission be honest & choose your words wisely.

I do not know who seeks permission and who does not when it comes to Christmas displays, but I play it safe and ask permission.

Hi Lightzilla,

What is the letter, or statement you use when you ask for permission? How successful have you been at getting permission?

Also, do you ever edit your songs to make them shorter? Do the record companies have any objection to that? Or have you ever asked that?

Have you ever gotten permission to post your video on YouTube?

Thanks,Lori

This is what I do...

“When I was a kid, I used to pray for a new bicycle every night. Then I realized the Lord doesn’t work that way, so I stole a bicycle, and prayed for forgiveness”
“Emo Philips”

rstately wrote:

This is what I do...

“When I was a kid, I used to pray for a new bicycle every night. Then I realized the Lord doesn’t work that way, so I stole a bicycle, and prayed for forgiveness”
“Emo Philips”
roflmao!!!!

lightzilla wrote:

Ultamitking73 wrote:
lol ........ we can't play our favorite radio station

That is a completely different scenario. Radio stations have the proper license to run their shows.

That person playing CD music in the back yard loudly or the car stereo playing a CD loudly will more than likely get a warning for being to loud than for breaking any public performance laws.

I never play anything "loudly" in my vehicle, but when I stop or I'm sitting in a parking lot, waiting for my wife to finish whatever shopping she's doing, I'm sitting in my car playing CD's, but even at soft volume, they can be heard by others. Also never played music that loud at any place I've ever lived either! So I've never been subjected to "disturbing the peace" warnings or violations.

I even had to shut my Christmas display down one night because one of our neighbors had a LIVE BAND playing at their house, you could hear them all over the subdivision and they were two houses down from me. It was so loud I pulled the plug on my display for that night, you couldn't even hear yourself think inside your house, let alone watch tv or do much of anything else. Did they get any violations or warnings?, Nope, not a one, and I know several of my neighbors had registered complaints!

Now why can a LIVE BAND replay someone elses music and lyrics and NOT be in these same violations?

After all, THAT IS STILL A PUBLIC PERFORMANCE!

Yet, I don't see bands, other musicians or Kareoke places getting fined or sued for these same type violations that seem to be imposed on John Q Public!

Still say this is a HUGE Double-Standard!

I will just live the life of an outlaw!!

Now to search the web for a gun holster/man thong for my six shooters! If I am gonna be an outlaw might as well do it in style.