Light-O-Rama Forums

Dripping Icicles

Fred1969

DonFL wrote:

Fred1969 wrote:
paul sessel wrote:
Here is a video of the 24 & 48 inch tubes:

http://www.youtube.com/user/creativedisplays#p/u/8/uKh7UJn_Ot8

Thank you for taking the time to jump in. I wasn't sure when I saw the video if these were the ones. Don't really like the looks of them. I think I am going to spend the extra money and get the set of five. How are they packaged for the presale. Is it one set of 5 for the price listed?

I can answer that, as I was hoping Paul would give me a different answer when I emailed him a couple weeks ago, but no such luck...it is, as I understand it, per set of 5..so for a set of 5 of the 10 inch tubes, 90 bucks.
Thanks for the info Don. I don't like the effect with the retro's so my only option now is the 5 tube set. I think their effect is 100 times better.

We added two sets of Paul's icicles last year (one 20" set and one 40" set spread out across the front of our house). Almost everyone we talked to commented on them.

BTW, I started the sets a half a second apart to break them up a little.

lrwertz wrote:

We added two sets of Paul's icicles last year (one 20" set and one 40" set spread out across the front of our house). Almost everyone we talked to commented on them.

BTW, I started the sets a half a second apart to break them up a little.

As I look at all 3 types, the set of 5 tubes (DITUBECW10 or similar) are still my favorites...but a huge investment at 16 dollars, or more, per tube...not sure I could get away with just one or two sets, and hence, the cost issue..

With 2 feet between tubes, not sure I could stretch them that far and still have them really have an effect..seems like they'd need to be closer together to really appreciate them...

DonFL wrote:

As I look at all 3 types, the set of 5 tubes (DITUBECW10 or similar) are still my favorites...but a huge investment at 16 dollars, or more, per tube...not sure I could get away with just one or two sets, and hence, the cost issue..

With 2 feet between tubes, not sure I could stretch them that far and still have them really have an effect..seems like they'd need to be closer together to really appreciate them...

The two foot spacing was an issue for me also. I scrapped the original harness (and connectors) that they came with and made a new harness out of SPT1, bullet connectors, and scotch lock connectors.

Here's what they looked like: Nutrocker

DonFL wrote:

My wife loves the CDI dripping icicles, as a local outdoor mall has them up year 'round, but I just couldn't justify the price...16 dollars a tube..ugh..:?

Still debating on the retrofits..obviously cheaper, but just not sure they will be what we want..

Uh?

I am getting the 10" tubes 10 sets for $90. that is $9 a set of 5 less than $2 a tube

Even if you went with the 40" 5 sets are $165 that is $33 a set of 5 less than $7 a tube

Am I missing something?

PaulXmas wrote:

DonFL wrote:
My wife loves the CDI dripping icicles, as a local outdoor mall has them up year 'round, but I just couldn't justify the price...16 dollars a tube..ugh..:?

Still debating on the retrofits..obviously cheaper, but just not sure they will be what we want..

Uh?

I am getting the 10" tubes 10 sets for $90. that is $9 a set of 5 less than $2 a tube

Even if you went with the 40" 5 sets are $165 that is $33 a set of 5 less than $7 a tube

Am I missing something?

One "set" for $90 is 5 tubes or $18 a tube.

Ok, so just to make sure we're talking the same item:

http://www.creativedisplays.com/siteresources/modules/webstore/scripts/prodList.asp

Paul's sale price is 90.

My email to Paul:

Saw a post on LOR, and got me wondering..

Re these dripping icicles.. http://www.creativedisplays.com/siteresources/modules/webstore/scripts/prodView.asp?idProduct=921

I saw a comment that said "each set has 5 tubes"..I've been assuming it is 115 bucks for 5 tubes..or sale price of 90 bucks.

So what does 90 bucks get me? 5 tubes, meaning one string, or 10 sets, meaning 50 tubes? I'm assuming the former..but please let me know.

If 10 sets for 90 bucks, I'll definitely place an order...my wife is hooked on those tubes..:)

Paul's reply:

One string with 5 tubes on it.

Would anyone know if it would be possible to "splice" different sizes into a string?

Such as, if I bought a string of 10", 20" and 40", could I replace two 10" tubes with a 20" and a 40", so the string had random lengths?

Or is it set up like an LED string, where it needs a certain amount of lights to work properly?

You can mix and match them. The power supply just drops the voltage down to 12VAC. All the "timing" for the drip is controlled by the circuitry at the tube. But keep in mind, if you don't mix-and-match correctly, you could end up with a string that has 5 icicles triggering at the same time and then nothing for several seconds.

Also remember, even though others have connected more than 5 to a power supply, the official answer Paul had gotten is that 5 is the limit.

rwertz wrote:

DonFL wrote:

The two foot spacing was an issue for me also. I scrapped the original harness (and connectors) that they came with and made a new harness out of SPT1, bullet connectors, and scotch lock connectors.

Did you make them shorter or longer?

PaulXmas wrote:

rwertz wrote:
DonFL wrote:

I made them longer. Each string runs the full length of our house (44') with about a 10' lead in to get down to the transformer at the floor of the porch.

I kept the 20" and 40" on separate strings and randomized the firing order of each string by changing which tube was connected where (firing order is controlled by circuitry at the tube). When I start them I always start the 20" string a half a second before the 40" string.

rwertz wrote:

PaulXmas wrote:
rwertz wrote:
DonFL wrote:

I made them longer. Each string runs the full length of our house (44') with about a 10' lead in to get down to the transformer at the floor of the porch.

I kept the 20" and 40" on separate strings and randomized the firing order of each string by changing which tube was connected where (firing order is controlled by circuitry at the tube). When I start them I always start the 20" string a half a second before the 40" string.

I was wondering if you could cut them and extend them and group them with other tubes to give them a more randomized look.

Thanks for the info!

I was perfectly happy with my 9" tubes from Home Depot until this thread. I now have a case of 48" retro fit tubes on order with CDI.

Why do you guys do this to me?? Making me want more...

BrownOut wrote:

I was perfectly happy with my 9" tubes from Home Depot until this thread. I now have a case of 48" retro fit tubes on order with CDI.

Why do you guys do this to me?? Making me want more...

Just making sure you live up to your user name ;)

(I'm assuming BrownOut implies a strain on your electric utility).

rwertz wrote:

(I'm assuming BrownOut implies a strain on your electric utility).

What..you have some LED underwear...Electric Utilities?

and there is no "r" in stain... ;)