Jump to content
Light-O-Rama Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tim

Street Lights

Recommended Posts

I'm not sure if this topic has been discussed in the past, but this year our city put in a really bright bulb in the street light across the street from my display. I called the city to see if they could do something, and once they stopped laughing, they said their is nothing they can do. Since I really don't want to pay for it, shooting it out is NOT an option. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to "Dim" this thing (somewhat legally)? I hope everyone's show is going well so far. Thanks!



Tim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hear a green laser pen pointed at the sensor will "dim" it quite nicely...

get one that you can plug into an empty LOR channel and then you can control when it turns off and on..

legal??

only if you don't get caught...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

jimswinder wrote:

I hear a green laser pen pointed at the sensor will "dim" it quite nicely...

get one that you can plug into an empty LOR channel and then you can control when it turns off and on..

legal??

only if you don't get caught...





The disadvantage of a green laser is that you can see the beam (meaning authorities might see it). Red might not be strong enough though. Probably once the lamp is out, it will stay off for a 1-5 minutes. You could program a LOR channel with the laser on it to turn on for 1 second every 3-4 minutes to keep the bulb off, and that way it would be very obvious to the audience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just purchased a green laser pointer to see if that helps. I'm not sure when/how to make it last all through the show, but I'll figure that out once I get it. Thanks for all the advice and help. Merry Christmas to all!!



Tim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure how high your lights are, but one year, I just put a big box over the thing. Wrap it up like a present, and it'll fit in just fine...

We're in a new neighborhood now, and our lights are more old fashioned looking, and I can access the top of the light with probably a 12-15 foot ladder. I plan to climb up there on Friday to see if I can open the housing and temporarily remove the bulb. I only want it off for a huge party we're having on Saturday...If that doesn't work, then it's back to the big box idea...

Greg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Knocking the light off with a laser will depend on what direction the sensor is facing. If it happens to be facing your house it may work. They usually face west to the sunset. I simply called on the one across from my house and explained the situation and told them I didn't want the light polution in my yard. She said she would need to check and get back to me since it was an odd request. Not 5 minutes later she called and said "OK, I guess it isn't so odd after all. The first guy I ran it buy said it was an easy fix. and we'll take care of it." They sent a crew over a couple nights later to scope it out and two days after another to put in some kind of shading that knocks out about 90% of the light on my yard while keeping everybody elses unnoticeably changed.

Lenny

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tim wrote:

I just purchased a green laser pointer to see if that helps. I'm not sure when/how to make it last all through the show, but I'll figure that out once I get it. Thanks for all the advice and help. Merry Christmas to all!!



Tim

Just curious, how many milliwatts your green laser is that you purchased and if you have tried it yet? I too have a problem with a street light and am looking for someway to temporarily disable it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LENNY RUEL wrote:

They sent a crew over a couple nights later to scope it out and two days after another to put in some kind of shading that knocks out about 90% of the light on my yard while keeping everybody elses unnoticeably changed.

Just called my Light Department...they said the lights are there for a reason...safety, so diminishing the light would diminish safety...

big city vs small town I guess...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest guest

jimswinder wrote:

LENNY RUEL wrote:
They sent a crew over a couple nights later to scope it out and two days after another to put in some kind of shading that knocks out about 90% of the light on my yard while keeping everybody elses unnoticeably changed.

Just called my Light Department...they said the lights are there for a reason...safety, so diminishing the light would diminish safety...

big city vs small town I guess...


Did you mention all the extra lumens you are contributing to safety?..:cool:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a street lamp on my property line in my cul-de-sac and at the bottom of it was a small panel. I unscrewed it and cut the black wire, then placed a wire nut on each end. When the show is over on New Years Day, I will open it back up and reconnect it. You may not have this option on the really large commercial lights.

Corey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you cut it BEFORE the sensor... you are dealing with a always hot wire under one of the nuts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nova5 wrote:

If you cut it BEFORE the sensor... you are dealing with a always hot wire under one of the nuts.

And potentially, 480V... At least that is what I have repeatedly heard was used for the parking lot lights at one facility.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

jimswinder wrote:

LENNY RUEL wrote:
They sent a crew over a couple nights later to scope it out and two days after another to put in some kind of shading that knocks out about 90% of the light on my yard while keeping everybody elses unnoticeably changed.

Just called my Light Department...they said the lights are there for a reason...safety, so diminishing the light would diminish safety...

big city vs small town I guess...


One keyword is "fugitive" light. Safety is putting light on the road. Casting light on your property does not make the road safer. In some areas it may be much easier to get some shades set up so that the light is mostly on the road, not the adjoining properties, as some places take light pollution more seriously than others.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey any body have any idea how can i decorate ma house using some lights.
What type of lights use in ma bed room to look more cool and romantic.

if some body have any suggestion den plz share wid me.......
I m waiting for ur response..................

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is what we do to block the street light from our yard, but still have it glowing for the neighbours.

Hesion bag clipped on the shade. After Christmas I go up the ladder and remove.


Attached files 227145=12526-light 1.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

-klb- wrote:

Nova5 wrote:
If you cut it BEFORE the sensor... you are dealing with a always hot wire under one of the nuts.

And potentially, 480V... At least that is what I have repeatedly heard was used for the parking lot lights at one facility.



possible. sarium-krellied lighting is pretty intense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

jimswinder wrote:

LENNY RUEL wrote:
They sent a crew over a couple nights later to scope it out and two days after another to put in some kind of shading that knocks out about 90% of the light on my yard while keeping everybody elses unnoticeably changed.

Just called my Light Department...they said the lights are there for a reason...safety, so diminishing the light would diminish safety...

big city vs small town I guess...



Jim: there is STILL plenty of light on the road as well as surrounding yards, sounds like a cop out on their part as I got this idea from many others. As someone else commented on the fugitive light here I used the word light pollution. I heard MANY suggestions but the one most common was the shading they CAN put inside the cover. I'm not in a town the size of Seattle but Appleton and it's burbs is decent at over 100,000. I pointed the filter out to a couple of the neighbors and they said they never even noticed, but thought the lights in my display had 10 times the pop this year. Some of that has to be the LED's but surely a decent part is also not having all the wash from the street light. Now that we finally have snow we'll see though. Main reason I wanted to do it was all of the pictures and video last year looked like they where done in broad daylight and pretty crappy. I shot 60 or 70 pictures the other night and at about a 3 to 5 second exposure they came out 100 times better. Need to do the video yet and see how that looks.

Lenny

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Getting the laser pointer today. I think it's a 50mW green laser. I'm still not sure how/when to use it, but I'll play with it and see what happens. In talking with someone last night (who happens to work for the local sheriffs office) she said the "Feds" are big fans of lasers and to watch out. I told her then to shut this light off and she told me she will contact somone from the city today and try to get it off! Otherwise, I'll be out there with my laser shutting it down myself. Then I'm thinking...."all this for Christmas lights?" YOU KNOW IT!!!



Tim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tim:

That was THE reason I shyed away from Lasers. Was going to mount on my Chimney. Problem is it would have to have been green and it's much more visable, plus IF the sensor is facing away it wouldn't have worked. Then I had pointed out the reflection possibility and hitting someone the wrong way. Others mentiond a C7 on a PVC shaft straped to the side of the light pole and on a timer. But it's across the street and again would invlove the neighbor and would also shut it off completely which I felt would cause questions. Only option was going to the public works with the light pollution issue. It worked.

Lenny

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lenny,

That's a good point. In reality, there probably is more harm than good out of it, but I would love to see the lights "pop" more without the background lighting. Plus, I would feel bad if something happened to any of my neighbors if the light were out. So we'll see what I decide to do. I just may try it once so I can see the lights at their best, then put it away. The people that come by to watch, I'm sure, never notice the light. Like all of us on this forum, we want it to be the best it can. Thanks for the advice!



Tim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to chime in on this one.. as a pilot who's been blinded by a green laser, DONT DO IT!! Call your city, tell them the lamp is keeping your kids awake by lighting up their rooms at night. Tell them you want a shade installed or you'll have to resort to other means to block the light.. leave that open-ended, they can draw any conclusion they want.

You want to see what we see? http://www.pangolin.com/faa/laser-aircraft-animation-and-explanation.htm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TJ Hvasta wrote:

I have to chime in on this one.. as a pilot who's been blinded by a green laser, DONT DO IT!! Call your city, tell them the lamp is keeping your kids awake by lighting up their rooms at night. Tell them you want a shade installed or you'll have to resort to other means to block the light.. leave that open-ended, they can draw any conclusion they want.

You want to see what we see? http://www.pangolin.com/faa/laser-aircraft-animation-and-explanation.htm


thats if you're aimed at. If its aimed at a street lights sensor the beam is no where near hitting you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nova5 wrote:

TJ Hvasta wrote:
I have to chime in on this one.. as a pilot who's been blinded by a green laser, DONT DO IT!! Call your city, tell them the lamp is keeping your kids awake by lighting up their rooms at night. Tell them you want a shade installed or you'll have to resort to other means to block the light.. leave that open-ended, they can draw any conclusion they want.

You want to see what we see? http://www.pangolin.com/faa/laser-aircraft-animation-and-explanation.htm


thats if you're aimed at. If its aimed at a street lights sensor the beam is no where near hitting you.

I've flown with TJ...he likes to fly with the tree tops... :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...