Light-O-Rama Forums

Video Camera?

Jim Saul

After my 3rd unsuccessful attempt to record video my display, I’ve come to the conclusion that my Olympus camera cannot shoot Christmas lights videos. Can you guys tell me what you are working and if you like it? I'm thinking I am going to need to buy something tomorrow and shoot this video before we get more snow and the entire display is buried.

I'm in the same boat as you... I actually just sent a message to a friend of mine who does amateur movies asking if he'd be interested in coming over to shoot a few videos of my display... would like to know what everyone else uses though.

I just picked up a Flip ultra last night and shot my first video with it. The color stauration is a bit too much for my liking but the colors themselves are nice. I think I need to shoot early in the evening when it isn't completely dark yet. I'm going to try that tonight. Here's the link to one I got done last night.

http://www.vimeo.com/17484818

George Simmons wrote:

I just picked up a Flip ultra last night and shot my first video with it. The color stauration is a bit too much for my liking but the colors themselves are nice. I think I need to shoot early in the evening when it isn't completely dark yet. I'm going to try that tonight. Here's the link to one I got done last night.

http://www.vimeo.com/17484818

looks like you were burning the midnight oil when you loaded this vid George like the surfer music feel

wallleyes wrote:

I have a canon T1i camera and set it on manual focus.Heres a link to a couple of my videos.

http://www.fairmontlights.com/Video.php

Heres a link to another post of video shot with a flip

http://lightorama.mywowbb.com/forum82/24184.html

that camera seems to do a pretty good job like the shows too

wallleyes wrote:

I have a canon T1i camera and set it on manual focus.Heres a link to a couple of my videos.

http://www.fairmontlights.com/Video.php

Heres a link to another post of video shot with a flip

http://lightorama.mywowbb.com/forum82/24184.html

that camera seems to do a pretty good job like the shows too

both of those are amazing.
I borrowed my friends JVC GZ-HM300 HD camcorder. I'm installing the software now to get the files out of it, if it it came out decent, I will have it uploaded tonight.

After returning 2 recorders, I settled on the Canon Vixia F10. It was onsale @ Bestbuy for $399. Plus I had BB rewards to apply to it. It records in 1080. Christmas lights I found are tough to shoot/record b/c of the white balance. The camera is trying to adjust for all the colors out there. I was able to get a good vid by slowing down the shutter speed to 1/4th (Thanks TJ) ... Tripod is a must when using such a slow shutter speed. It certainly helped with the colors. Also and this is huge > If you can shoot it at dusk OR sunrise the colors pop with the natural lighting. When its pitch black is the hardest time to shoot.

I did a vid @ 525pm and it was outstanding (sorry haven't uploaded it yet). Problem with that time is the cars coming home from work! ARGH! I am going to try this same set up at around 6:am or so.

Check and see if your camcorder has a "Fireworks" setting...Christmas Lights have the same effect (bright lights against a dark background)

and NEVER use the Auto Focus..it will go crazy trying to find a focus point with all the different lights going on and off...

pokrplr wrote:

After returning 2 recorders, I settled on the Canon Vixia F10. It was onsale @ Bestbuy for $399. Plus I had BB rewards to apply to it. It records in 1080. Christmas lights I found are tough to shoot/record b/c of the white balance. The camera is trying to adjust for all the colors out there. I was able to get a good vid by slowing down the shutter speed to 1/4th (Thanks TJ) ... Tripod is a must when using such a slow shutter speed. It certainly helped with the colors. Also and this is huge > If you can shoot it at dusk OR sunrise the colors pop with the natural lighting. When its pitch black is the hardest time to shoot.

I did a vid @ 525pm and it was outstanding (sorry haven't uploaded it yet). Problem with that time is the cars coming home from work! ARGH! I am going to try this same set up at around 6:am or so.

I couldn't agree more with pokrplr. I have the Canon Vixia HF11. I thought my Halloween video's in 1080 came out great.

I receved an email this morning from B&H. They are having a sale on the cameras...and what do you know. Mine is more that half the price I piad for it. What's better is that the upgrade model from mine is now $499 (32G int flash mem) or $399 (8G int flash mem). Both also takes SD card if you want more memory.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/671645-REG/Canon_4355B001_VIXIA_HF_M30_Dual.html

I received an email this morning from B&H. They are having a sale on the cameras...and what do you know. Mine is more that half the price I piad for it. What's better is that the upgrade model from mine is now $499 (32G int flash mem) or $399 (8G int flash mem). Both also takes SD card if you want more memory.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/671645-REG/Canon_4355B001_VIXIA_HF_M30_Dual.html

Hmmm...that tells me that Canon is set to release an even better camera and they need to sell these QUICK!!!

On eBay for $384.00

http://compare.ebay.com/like/120655634149?ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&rvr_id=180256651026&crlp=1_263602_304662&UA=WXF%3F&GUID=97ea076b12c0a0aa1267fb87fd9c8ac3&itemid=120655634149&ff4=263602_304662

Probably right after Xmas too!

$399 on B&H...$384 on ebay. Nothing against ebay as I buy on it all the time, but I'd pay the extra $15 from B&H for this item.

I use a Kodak iZ8, I bought mine from B&H for about $80, which is refurbished, but it worked great! It takes full 1080p video and it takes good pictures too. I would strongly suggested it, it cannot be beat, especially for the price.

jem5136 wrote:

I use a Kodak iZ8, I bought mine from B&H for about $80, which is refurbished, but it worked great! It takes full 1080p video and it takes good pictures too. I would strongly suggested it, it cannot be beat, especially for the price.

Not to argue with you Jem but that was one of the one's I did return. I'm glad its working for you. There stupid software was more of an issue w/ me vs. quality. Arcsoft right? I kept getting error after error. Those started a week or so after I purchased. When looking on their forums too, lots of people stated the same. You did get a good price on that. Mine was $149 sale price from Target. Target does have a 90 day return (which I liked) w/ no restock fee (unlike BB)

pokrplr wrote:

Christmas lights I found are tough to shoot/record b/c of the white balance. The camera is trying to adjust for all the colors out there. I was able to get a good vid by slowing down the shutter speed to 1/4th

Instead of adjusting your shutter speed look for your "gain" setting... Lower this down to -2 or -3... It is not a white balance problem.... It is all the blackness and a few lights.... The camera is trying to balance the extream black with the bright lights... The lights are washed out from over exposure... By turning the gain down you will compinsate for the auto exposure failures.... You get the same effect when you are inside a house and there is an open window... The window will be washed out... If you turn the gain down the window will become visable but inside will be dark.... That is what you want.... Your focus is the window the same is true with Christmas lights....

I have been taking videos of fireworks for almost 40 years now...

I use a Kodak Zi8, at 720P/60; pretty good video

I like it because it has a line input, I cannot connect the output of a small fm radio to it, so the sound much better than using a mic input.

I also have a Canon T1i, love the video, sound-not so much

I use a Panasonic Lumix TZ7 (ZS3 in the USA I think). When set to candlelight mod, the videos are nice and bright. Fireworks mode seems to be a tad sharper but looses some brightness.

I'm sure there is plenty of better quality videos from dedicated video cameras, but for a point and shoot still camera, it takes awesome video.

pokrplr wrote:

jem5136 wrote:

Not to argue with you Jem but that was one of the one's I did return. I'm glad its working for you. There stupid software was more of an issue w/ me vs. quality. Arcsoft right? I kept getting error after error. Those started a week or so after I purchased. When looking on their forums too, lots of people stated the same. You did get a good price on that. Mine was $149 sale price from Target. Target does have a 90 day return (which I liked) w/ no restock fee (unlike BB)

I don't use the software they have with it, usually I just use Windows Movie Maker or if I feel fancy, I'll use something from Adobe, depending on what I need for it. But the software it comes with is crappy, so I didn't even bother installing it on my computer. I can get the videos and photos straight from the camera without it.