Light-O-Rama Forums

Can We Please Get A Better Shimmer?

George Simmons

Ok try this, When you want a shimmer effect. I put half of the channels on shimmer and the other half on twinkle. It works pretty good, that is what I didi this year. Good Luck

George,

I'm with you! I used the shimmer function last year, and was very happy with it. But, this year it seems to be more of a very fast and low "flutter". You can see it if nothing you're standing right on top of the lights, but from the road it looks more like a half intensity. If there's a work around I'd like to find it.

I know this sounds crazy but I've been watching my sequences play in the yard for almost three weeks now (No, that's not the crazy part... or is it? But I digress.) and there definitely seems to be a difference in the shimmer from sequence to sequence. My brain can't wrap itself around this, but it seems to me that the sequences from 2008 and 2009 have a better-looking shimmer than those that I sequenced in 2010. I've even played a few back to back and the difference is very noticeable. Why/how could this be?

Dan, Bob, anyone?

as a new guy just starting out, i have to agree with you (my wife too) that there should be a speed control for shimmer (and twinkle). it should be free to control like the rest of your lights (to a beat). add me to your list! have a good one!

George Simmons wrote:

I know this sounds crazy but I've been watching my sequences play in the yard for almost three weeks now (No, that's not the crazy part... or is it? But I digress.) and there definitely seems to be a difference in the shimmer from sequence to sequence. My brain can't wrap itself around this, but it seems to me that the sequences from 2008 and 2009 have a better-looking shimmer than those that I sequenced in 2010. I've even played a few back to back and the difference is very noticeable. Why/how could this be?

Dan, Bob, anyone?

It would be interesting to know if you opened your 08 or 09 sequence with the same version of S2 that you sequenced your 2010 sequences with then did a 'save as' with them, if the shimmer would then be the same.

Paul Roberson wrote:

It would be interesting to know if you opened your 08 or 09 sequence with the same version of S2 that you sequenced your 2010 sequences with then did a 'save as' with them, if the shimmer would then be the same.

I have opened all sequences in 2.8.? up to 2.8.10 (I haven't upgraded since setup began in November and won't until after the season) this year and imported new config files and sequenced new display elements. That's what has me puzzled between previous shimmers and today's shimmer. I would have thought the command in older sequences would default to whatever the current shimmer does. One of the things I'm going to try is copying the shimmer from an old sequence and paste it into a 2010 sequence to see if it looks like the old shimmer or what it is today.

Still waiting for a LOR expert to chime in...

Was just made aware of this thread...

We WILL improve the shimmer next year and give more options for speed, etc.. This goes for twinkle as well.

As far as acting different in different sequences that is unlikely. It could be that a shimmer at a different intensity looks different but as far as the speed of the shimmer that is locked in by the hardware and cannot be adjusted.

Dan

Was just made aware of this thread...

We WILL improve the shimmer next year and give more options for speed, etc.. This goes for twinkle as well.

As far as acting different in different sequences that is unlikely. It could be that a shimmer at a different intensity looks different but as far as the speed of the shimmer that is locked in by the hardware and cannot be adjusted.

Dan

Thanks Dan. Your reply was like getting a little Christmas gift a week early. I'll be looking forward to it.

I'm laughing as I read this thinking about how with LOR, we can complain about a software/hardware/feature issue, and it gets a response from the CEO himself saying "we hear you, we'll fix it asap.."

Now envision that ever happening on a microsoft message board...:(:D

George Simmons wrote:

Is there anyone else who's not completely happy with the shimmer function? I like it just fine when I see it on the visualizer but I think it sucks when I see it in the yard. I feel it's too fast, especially for incandescents. Unlless you're a foot away from the lights it's almost unnoticeable. I'd like to see it a bit slower, or better yet, have a speed control. If anyone else feels the same way please sign on below and also send it to the wishlist. Thanks.

agreed on the speed control