Light-O-Rama Forums

Year ONe

Mark Showalter

The MEGA (Weber) Tree is up! I cannot feel my face. Tonight I finish sequencing my fourth tune... Wizards in Winter and test the FM transmitter. Tomorrow install leaping arches, mini trees, house lights, buy a few extension cords, mount control panels and "tune to 89.5 fm sign. With a little luck and warmer weather... I may be able to test them out. Thanks for all the helpful advice I've found on these pages. I will start much earlier for year two.

I thought about buying one of those igloo shaped dog houses to hide the controllers. I didn't know if the wireless would still work through the walls of the dog house.

Attached files 224270=12413-Extension cords.jpg

kzaas wrote:

Becareful, I have heard those ELL's are not waterproof. I don't think I would leave them in the open like that.

Yes, the ELL's are waterproof. They are designed to be used exactly as they are in his photo.

I've been using them since 2007 in all kinds of weather with no problems

Plastic is a fairly easy material to penetrate with 2.4 (I think ELL's run at 2.4) but that asside, plastic in general is easy.

An igloo would be fine, and not have much impact on the signal (Im gesssing 1db loss if that. If I recall all my figures from wifi surveys : Drywall is about 2 db, wood 4 db, cinderblock 6db, poured concrete 8db. Concrete with rebar - you might as well get a hard wire.

gizmomkr wrote:

Plastic is a fairly easy material to penetrate with 2.4 (I think ELL's run at 2.4) but that asside, plastic in general is easy.

An igloo would be fine, and not have much impact on the signal

The ELLs operate in the 900 mHz band.

The plastic or fiberglass igloos should present no problems