Light-O-Rama Forums

Can LOR run a water show system like the Bellagio water fountains

toddmoon

I have seen several do it...

In theory all it takes is connecting solenoid valves to channels instead of light strings.

One other consideration - In the BIG shows - I would guess they use some type of ball valve with an an actuator that can turn the vale from 0 to full open. This would allow precise controll of water pressur. Whereas a solenoid valve is only on or off.

Also, you dont want to fire a pump from a LOR board, (unless via a Realy)

But Yes, it can (and aparently has) been done.

I'd love to see that link, but the site is down, or he gave up the name

gizmomkr wrote:

In theory all it takes is connecting solenoid valves to channels instead of light strings.

One other consideration - In the BIG shows - I would guess they use some type of ball valve with an an actuator that can turn the vale from 0 to full open. This would allow precise controll of water pressur. Whereas a solenoid valve is only on or off.

From experience - there are a couple of methods for control of water flow - probably the most common is a VFD ( variable frequency drive) which will control the speed of the motor pumping the water. another comon method is using a Roll Seal (manufactured by ClaVal) which has a diaphram that regulates the flow against a back pressure.

I have also seen an asynchronous pump tried, seems to be fine using lor dimming.

http://www.constantlychristmas.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3772&highlight=fountain

• 2 weeks later...

Dr. Jones wrote:

gizmomkr wrote:

From experience - there are a couple of methods for control of water flow - probably the most common is a VFD ( variable frequency drive) which will control the speed of the motor pumping the water. another comon method is using a Roll Seal (manufactured by ClaVal) which has a diaphram that regulates the flow against a back pressure.

I have also seen an asynchronous pump tried, seems to be fine using lor dimming.

http://www.constantlychristmas.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3772&highlight=fountain

Have you seen what Disney did with water at California Adventure? It's in the lagoon at Paradise Pier, and took 2 years to build. Absolutely amazing. I don't think they're using LOR. :P

http://disneyland.disney.go.com/disneys-california-adventure/world-of-color/

--Mike