Light-O-Rama Forums

1St Year Setup DONE!

testraub

Today I am no longer a newbie! (Well, maybe) I started on Nov 1st with my setup and should be done tomorrow (9 days) Just gotta fix the Mega tree (12 ft). Finish a sequence or two and I should be ready to rock on Thanksgiving Night. The Boss is going outta town so I had to get as much done as possible before he left. I'll hopefully post some pics / video once things are up and running. The neighbors are really looking forward to it. Oh And the Truck is the last thing to be done.... The sleigh on it should turn out GREAT!

Tom Straub

Arlington, VA

1St Year user

This is my First year also, I have everything setup as of Yesterday except for a sign for the FM station. From what the neighbors are saying I think I might get a few visitors just from word of mouth.

They say your first year is your slowest - last year was my first and by the time December 15th came I had a 4 block backup in front of my house. Local News Channel called for an interview and 2 newspapers came to do stories.... you never know.

What also helped was that we partnered up with our local food pantry to collect non perishable food donations in a bin out front. They helped get the word around.

testraub wrote:

Today I am no longer a newbie! (Well, maybe) I started on Nov 1st with my setup and should be done tomorrow (9 days) Just gotta fix the Mega tree (12 ft). Finish a sequence or two and I should be ready to rock on Thanksgiving Night. The Boss is going outta town so I had to get as much done as possible before he left. I'll hopefully post some pics / video once things are up and running. The neighbors are really looking forward to it. Oh And the Truck is the last thing to be done.... The sleigh on it should turn out GREAT!

Tom Straub

Arlington, VA

1St Year user

Congrats I am also a newbie this year.I have worked on setting up my display the past 3 weekends.This last weekend friday and saturday were all day..non stop.I really enjoy watching videos of everyones displays so hopefully everyone will post videos.I should get some video this coming weekend.Last friday i spent 6 hours alone putting up my 20 foot mega tree.It was well worth the time as it makes you go wow.My tune to sign was to hard to read from a distance so i am redoing that.Some of my mini tree`s are already on the neighbors yard.Next year i may have his front yard full of decorations.I`ll just blow the snow off his side walk again this winter.

Congrats to everyone getting your stuff set up and shows going, I envy all those that are home to be able to do/build after they get home from work everyday.. best I can do is sequence and come up with ideas until I get home 3 or 4 days later :D

2010 is my second year with LOR and I'll consider myself a newbie until they throw dirt on my face.. between now and then I'll just keep adding to my display and finding easier ways to do something..

Ran my show tonight A few "bugs". Fixed. Also found 1/2 a string of lights out on my megatree :X Fixed after pulling out 65 bulbs in a 100 set :( The show looks good. Did a run thru tonight and it should be fine for a Thanksgiving night kickoff. Just wish I could say the same for my Cowboys :shock:

Tom Straub

testraub wrote:

Ran my show tonight A few "bugs". Fixed. Also found 1/2 a string of lights out on my megatree :X Fixed after pulling out 65 bulbs in a 100 set :) The show looks good. Did a run thru tonight and it should be fine for a Thanksgiving night kickoff. Just wish I could say the same for my Cowboys :shock:

Tom Straub

You had 65 burnt out lights?

I suspect there was just one and you checked 65. Get a Light Keeper Pro! Only works for mini incandescence (NOT LED).

Congrats to those who are done or close to done. This is my first year and I started late. I have one of four leaping arches done. I only have one of what should be five or six songs sequenced. Luckily I have two open weekends before Thanksgiving and the targeted "Lights On" night. I think I'll just make it.

good luck mark. I thought I was done 2 weeks ago. I am now scrambling to finish 2 more songs (5 total). I spent a whole day on my borrowed FM transmitter. There was a lot more to be done than what I thought. You might want to take the week off.
BTW, how many channels are you doing?

Thanks Mike. I have 32 channels. 16 for the mega tree, 3 for the star, 7 for the leaping arches, 5 for the mini trees and one left over for everything on the house. Like I said, I should finish if I don't have any major delays. The FM transmitter should be here next week and the LOR software is getting easier to use.

Congrats to everyone that's done already! I am also a newbie, but I broke out the LOR for Halloween first. I've been working more on getting the infrastructure (wiring, circuit breakers, outlets) run to all their permanent locations. I think my display this year will be very modest, with sequences cribbed from generous persons sharing their programming expertise. Tom, if you could send me your address, I'd like to drive by sometime and look at your display. My email is kleuenberger@aim.com.

Kevin

Aussie newbie here. We have a purchased the 16 channel starter pack. We are waiting for the US Postal Service to find our USB adaptor, the last item we require to get our system cranking. We cant wait to try out this system as I have completed three songs from scratch and we are looking forward to seeing them all work in real life and not just on the computer screen.