Light-O-Rama Forums

How many songs and how long is your show?

jjdurrant

I have a question for you guys with 40+ songs.... are your displays the same each year, or do you actually re-edit that many songs each year for new/changing display features?

My display changes each year, and it's a killer just to get 5 songs prepared in time (960 LOR channels). I have no idea how you guys do it.

chuckd wrote:

I have a question for you guys with 40+ songs.... are your displays the same each year, or do you actually re-edit that many songs each year for new/changing display features?

This is only my third year and it is indeed getting unwieldy. Between year one (144 channels) and year two (300+ channels) I was able to update all the songs and add another 30 or so to the mix. This year (400+ channels plus 2 CCRs) I only added less than a dozen new songs and I've come to realize that not all existing songs will get a complete update this year. In fact many might not see any update at all. The viewing public won't notice but it will drive me nuts. But after having done a bunch of custom sequencing this year there just isn't enough time...

I just did the math for me.... averaging songs that are 3 minutes in length, 40 hours per song to sequence * 40 songs is 1600 hours of sequencing! I think I'd rather jump off my mega tree first......:)

chuckd wrote:

40 hours per song to sequence * 40 songs is 1600 hours of sequencing! I think I'd rather jump off my mega tree first......:)

I seriously doubt the people that have 40+ songs spend 40 hours per song. To do that in one year, they would need to not have kids or have kids that are grown up and they would have to be unemployed/retired and they must have an extremely forgiving significant other to be able to spend that kind of time on sequences in one year. Or, they compiled that collection of sequences over many years.

I have not tracked sequence development time over all of my sequences like I did for the first few but I would guess that my average is around 20 hours for a three minute sequence. With ten sequences totaling 32 minutes in length, I spent around 240 hours sequencing this year.

ryebred wrote:

chuckd wrote:
40 hours per song to sequence * 40 songs is 1600 hours of sequencing! I think I'd rather jump off my mega tree first......:)

I seriously doubt the people that have 40+ songs spend 40 hours per song. To do that in one year, they would need to not have kids or have kids that are grown up and they would have to be unemployed/retired and they must have an extremely forgiving significant other to be able to spend that kind of time on sequences in one year. Or, they compiled that collection of sequences over many years.

I have not tracked sequence development time over all of my sequences like I did for the first few but I would guess that my average is around 20 hours for a three minute sequence. With ten sequences totaling 32 minutes in length, I spent around 240 hours sequencing this year.

I have no kids, I work a 40 hour week, and my significant other spends about the same amount of time away from me working on listing items on eBay (to which I don't understand but I like the idea it helps fund my LOR purchases :D).

I found the fastest way to acquire music sequences is to modify the work of others that share their sequences. I learned how to sequence more that way than starting from scratch. I'm eternally gratefull for those here that share.

On the sequences I create myself, it takes me less than 2 hours collectively for each song. I've learned many organizational tricks from others here and some on my own. Some songs have taken me less time and I was pleasantly surprised with the results.

Each year, I skip random songs and add new songs so I hope its fresh.

Chuck

I was lucky (for my squencing) enough to be off on sick leave for most of last year.

This year although I went into the office there was no work for me so I brought in my laptop and squenced for 8 hours for a few weeks.

Now that I am better not sure how much squencing i will get done next year.

Might add a song or two and a few extra things like arches and/or mega and/or (insert the next big thing).

The feed back I have received is that people like to see/ hear somthing different each time they drive by. I have 20 titles that run about 48 min. People are already stopping to ask when the show will start when they see me working in the yard.

PaulXmas wrote:

This year although I went into the office there was no work for me so I brought in my laptop and squenced for 8 hours for a few weeks.

That's the kind of job I'm looking for!!!!!!!!!!! Where do I sign up?

FischLights wrote:

PaulXmas wrote:

That's the kind of job I'm looking for!!!!!!!!!!! Where do I sign up?

IT and get nerve damage! Not fun. I was worried about getting let go!

I have my songs broken down into days,

Monday is Modern Christmas (New Christmas)

TSO Tuesdays

Classic Christmas Wednesday

TSO Thursday (people like TSO)

and Friday Saturday and Sunday is anything goes

I have over 60+ songs and every year I upgrade my system, this year I have 13 CCR's and I haven't even took them out of the box yet.

I need to email Brian and do something about that

I have 25 - 30 songs, I break them up into about 20 - 25 minute shows. I play the first show on a repeat schedule the first two weeks of Dec. Then I switch shows for the last two weeks leading up to Christmas. After Christmas I put both shows together and play the long show throught the New Year. I try to keep the short shows to that 20 - 25 minute time frame.

Guest Don Gillespie

chuckd wrote:

My display changes each year, and it's a killer just to get 5 songs prepared in time (960 LOR channels). I have no idea how you guys do it.

I edit most of my sequences for the next year I am currently working on next years display as we speak

• 3 weeks later...

12 songs plus voiceovers and skits: about 30 minutes just looped. Opened the show last night (dec 3) and MOST of the cars stayed for minimum 30 minutes! What makes mine easy to sit and watch is that directly across from my home is a strip that about 10 cars can park all facing into my home, thus no one feels as though they are blocking traffic. I'm sure that helps alot. It was also nice to see that whenever someone left the cars behind would fill the space for easy access at the back of the line.... nice!

This is my third year using LOR controllers. I have increased my channels and songs each year. This year I have 48 channels and my show has 38 songs with 37 repeats (1 hr and 46 min). The show starts at 5pm and goes till 11:59pm.

right now i have 35-40 songs with a voice over every 4th-5th song.The show is right at 2 hours long.I have had a few people sit out there for the whole 2 hours.