Light-O-Rama Forums

WowLights Controller Stand - PICS

jjdurrant

jjdurrant wrote:

Well worth the money IMO.

Worth the money? Did you buy this somewhere?

Just to share, here is one I built over the summer. I used an old steel bed frame and welded it together. I mounted two housings back to back. A little hard to make out the frame, but you get the idea.

100_8757.jpg

100_8760.jpg

One thing to note about supports that should "pound" into the ground. Make sure the mount is hammered into the ground first and them attach the controller. You do not want to hammer it with a controller attached.

Dan

LightORamaDan wrote:

One thing to note about supports that should "pound" into the ground. Make sure the mount is hammered into the ground first and them attach the controller. You do not want to hammer it with a controller attached.

Dan

Good tip! I plan to remove the controller first.

JJ, this is not a slight about weight, ok?

I would think you should be able to just push those heavy gauge wire frames into the ground. That is, unless you wait till the ground is frozen.

LightORamaDan wrote:

Dan

Good thing I read this post!

jjdurrant wrote:

I am thinking if I stake the stand before the ground freezes I should be able to easily push it with pounding or removing the controller.

What gauge steel is that frame? It looks pretty thin to support even just one 1602W by just pounding it into the ground, and the website says it will support 2.

Maybe the pictures are misleading, but I'd be nervous about it staying upright, especially when you have all kinds of extension cords connected and laid out in all different directions.

Guest Don Gillespie

Dan C wrote:

jjdurrant wrote:
Well worth the money IMO.

Worth the money? Did you buy this somewhere?

Just to share, here is one I built over the summer. I used an old steel bed frame and welded it together. I mounted two housings back to back. A little hard to make out the frame, but you get the idea.

100_8757.jpg

100_8760.jpg

I noticed you have painted your controllers black neat idea, anyone tried to make them look like a christmas decoration??

We were thinking about mounting them into a large plywood box with a hinged top, then wrapping it like a Christmas present.

LightORamaDan wrote:

Dan

Absolutely agreed! That's why I use these: http://store.3glightingcreations.com/products/Enclosure-Stakes.html

They come in several heights, and I like them because you don't have to pound them in (just step on the bottom "rung"), and the handle makes for easy removal at the end of the season.

Fabian

Don Gillespie wrote:

I noticed you have painted your controllers black neat idea, anyone tried to make them look like a christmas decoration??

Thrillrider7 wrote:
We were thinking about mounting them into a large plywood box with a hinged top, then wrapping it like a Christmas present.

My concern about that approach is that they will look more attractive for somebody to steal or vandalize. Particularly a vandal might see a cool present that would be "neat" to smash, not even realizing what is inside, or take it as a souvenir. I tend to try to keep mine as plain as possible and not draw attention to them -- most people won't have a clue what they are (or their worth). I also tend to try to place them out of sight as best as possible (behind bushes, trees, etc.) both for aesthetics and again to not tempt "curious" punks.

Surfing4Dough wrote:

Don Gillespie wrote:

Thrillrider7 wrote:

My concern about that approach is that they will look more attractive for somebody to steal or vandalize.  Particularly a vandal might see a cool present that would be "neat" to smash, not even realizing what is inside, or take it as a souvenir.  I tend to try to keep mine as plain as possible and not draw attention to them -- most people won't have a clue what they are (or their worth).  I also tend to try to place them out of sight as best as possible (behind bushes, trees, etc.) both for aesthetics and again to not tempt "curious" punks. 

I am with you. Mine will be off to the side of my house. Should blend in nicely with the natural gas equipment.