Light-O-Rama Forums

solder for circuit boards

jjd35

Im a newbie and Im just starting to put my controllers together. I want to radio shack to get solder and I got the guy who wants to be somewhere else but work. I just want a confirmation that I have the right one he gave me 60/40 rosen core with .062 diamater. I brought my lor book in but could not find anything that showed other than shiny wire for circuit boards thanks for the help in advance.

40/60 is standard for soldering on circuit boards. .065 is on the smaller side but good for putting in ICs and small resistors and diodes. I would bump up to .125 or there about for larger jobs like the QC to CB joint.

But in a nutshell, you can always use small solder by doubling or quad-tripling the wire. But you can not make large solder wire smaller.

There should have been solder included in your kit...two different gauges, one for most of the PCB work, heavier for the triacs. Both controllers I built I found it to be more than enough to get the job done.

Haven't bought anything from Radio Shaft in years, but I assume they still only sell 60/40 (tin/lead) solder for electronics work...you just need to choose the right gauge for what you want to do.

jjd35 wrote:

Im a newbie and Im just starting to put my controllers together. I want to radio shack to get solder and I got the guy who wants to be somewhere else but work. I just want a confirmation that I have the right one he gave me 60/40 rosen core with .062 diamater. I brought my lor book in but could not find anything that showed other than shiny wire for circuit boards thanks for the help in advance.

If you received a kit from LOR and it did not contain solder please let us know so we can send it to you rather than use messy rosen core solder.

Send and email to kits@lightorama.com explaining that you did not get solder. To date we have never missed placing the solder in the kit (that we know of).

Dan

thank you for the help I looked in my kit again and there is solder in there. I think i was so overwhelmed at all the parts I never even noticed the solder.