Light-O-Rama Forums

Controller Mount

jjdurrant

How are you guys mounting or storing your controllers? Stand? Garage? Plastic enclosure?

I have the 1602W which I believe has a metal case. But I do not want to leave it just sitting on the ground.

Thanks!

Guest wbottomley

This topic has been beaten to death.

Follow the instructions in your manual on how to mount it. This way, the warranty stays valid.

And, there's not a standard way of mounting them. Each person has different ideas to accomplish this. Make sure it's in an upright position.

wood, plastic, medal, pizza boxes, I think it has all been done. Only important factor is not to damage your board with mounting hardware, and not to allow water to enter and or sit in your enclosure.

I hope this is better information for you than beating a dead horse but I will give you some ideas or direction that can help you make a better decision on how to mount your controllers.

There are endless ways to mount controllers, I use 30 controllers and have them mounted in different ways.

Here is what you need to think about

Where will the controller be located, out in the elements you will need to protect the controller from rain, snow and other things mother nature throws at you.

If the controller is located close to the lights you can make custom length dongles and have the cords placed where you need them.

How many controllers you have in an enclosure will determine the overall size of the enclosure and or the location.

I am one to place 3 or more controllers in a larger enclosure and make the dongles the length i need to go to the lights. I use controllers with high power heat sinks and controllers with the low power heat sinks.

High power heat sinks can be surface mounted to the heat sink. Low power heat sinks can be mounted using standoffs usually 5/8 to 3/4 inches tall depending on the enclosure you will be using. The screw size is a #4X40 thread and the same for the standoff for direct board mounting. You can use the same screw to mount the boards with heat sinks just a little longer.

As for the actual enclosure I have used the plastic junction boxes and custom made wooden boxes. When using the wood boxes be sure to use exterior grade or marine grade plywood. I have several wood boxes that have seen 4 years use with no problems. I did apply 3 coats of primer and about the same for the final color. Be sure and check the paint each year.

I am toying with custom polypropylene enclosures this year and making them a slide in/out for the board I think they will be very good when you have a gang of controllers in the same place.

If you would like more information I will be more than happy to help you feel free to PM me I always like to beat dead horses a little more. I like helping others thats what this is all about.

Anthony

I have mine out in the weather just in their LOR enclosure (which is weatherproof), which I attach to two U-shaped fence posts (4'). The bolts go through the heatsink, and through the case to attach to the posts. I put the nut on the inside of the case so you have to open the case in order to remove them (theft deterrent), especially since the case is screwed shut, and can put a lock on the case too. I silicone where the bolts go through the case. With this method, the cases are upright and can be 18-24" off the ground. Never any water in them. Once the two fence posts are in the ground, it is nearly impossible to remove them both together (since they will be tied together about 6" apart by the controller). Therefore in order to remove them I have to remove the controller and pull each post out individually. No worries about somebody taking them since it is too difficult. By having them closer to your lights, you will save a lot of money on extension cords.

jjdurrant wrote:

How are you guys mounting or storing your controllers? Stand? Garage? Plastic enclosure?

I have the 1602W which I believe has a metal case. But I do not want to leave it just sitting on the ground.

Thanks!
Check out this link I posted. I have 2 of these sheds.
http://www.hearthelights.com/html/command_central.html

redsea300 wrote:

jjdurrant wrote:

Thanks!
Check out this link I posted. I have 2 of these sheds.
http://www.hearthelights.com/html/command_central.html

Wow that is way too kewl!....{honey I NEED something else}

In contrast to the overkill posted above :), here's my cheap entry:
IMG_3221.JPG
(Click to zoom.)

It's a Rubbermaid box from the dollar store, 8 electrical sockets @ $.39 each and a box of crimp-on 1/4" connectors from Lowe's, cords that were lying around, and a sandbag to put on top in case the wind picks up.

Here it is in operation:
IMG_1997.JPG

That black thing on the right is a case from a spa ozone generator that failed. It now has a 24v transformer to power an LED tree on the roof. The first transformer failed because I accidentally had a sequence that set its intensity to 50%, which is often fatal for transformers.

And yes, it's sitting on top of a camper van that doesn't move from October through January. Yes, those are mini trees on top of the van. The van also holds an ELL that links to the neighbor across the street.

redsea300 wrote:

jjdurrant wrote:
Anyone using the controller stand being sold over at CLS?

http://christmaslightshow.com/product.php?productid=301&cat=26&page=1
YOu can just drive 2 1x2 wood stakes into the Gounod and secure the box to that.

It must be nice to live in the mild winter weather of California. :) Here in NE Ohio that doesn't work so well when the ground starts to harden--they often crack as you are trying to pound them in. I am sure it is much worse in MN. U-shaped fence posts work pretty well though.

cenote wrote:

To beat the horse some more....

Keep It Simple Stupid

When I finally win powerball, quit my day job, retire to the islands, and open my chain of tiki bars, THAT is how I will do my LOR enclosures....:P