Light-O-Rama Forums

Where I can buy online some cheapest LED Christmas lights...

jonjon_dm

Good day to all, I would like to ask if where I can find and buy online some cheapest LED Christmas lights but good quality.
Thank you and have a nice day to all.

Hello sir, need some advise. I just bought regular Christmas lights in the hardware store here in my city to fully test and run some sequence in LOR unit, upon checking and reading the specification below:
Rated input voltage: 230 VAC
Rated wattage: 15.5 watts
Bulb used 2.5V, 0.175 Watts
#S100-A
100 micro rice bulbs.
When I tried to compute the ampere: A=watts / Voltage; 15.5 / 230 = 0.0673913 Amp.
But when I open the Christmas lights box I found on the power cord socket indicated 220VAC – 3A.
So which is correct ampere that I should follow for my calculation to my LOR unit Channel? Please need you expert advise.
Thank you.

jon

jonjon_dm wrote:

Hello sir, need some advise. I just bought regular Christmas lights in the hardware store here in my city to fully test and run some sequence in LOR unit, upon checking and reading the specification below:
Rated input voltage: 230 VAC
Rated wattage: 15.5 watts
Bulb used 2.5V, 0.175 Watts
#S100-A
100 micro rice bulbs.
When I tried to compute the ampere: A=watts / Voltage; 15.5 / 230 = 0.0673913 Amp.
But when I open the Christmas lights box I found on the power cord socket indicated 220VAC – 3A.
So which is correct ampere that I should follow for my calculation to my LOR unit Channel? Please need you expert advise.
Thank you.

jon

My guess is that the string is about 0.1Amp... Most likely the 220VAC-3A is the fuse used in the plug. There is a fuse in the plug correct?

Dan

jonjon_dm wrote:

where I can find and buy online some cheapest LED Christmas lights
but good quality.

I have never heard of cheap and good quality used together when talking about LED lights, There are cheap ones, and there are good quality ones but not cheap and good quality in my opinion.

Perhaps since you are in the Phillipines and may need 230 volt strings, you might check with some of the Asian suppliers in Hong Kong or mainland China

Good day Sir, there is no fuse on the power cord. Sir please see the attached picture for regular Christmas lights. And please give me advise if I can continue using this kind of lights to my 16-channels LOR unit.

thank you.
jon

Attached files 212492=11854-Regular christmas lights 2.

The picture of the christmas lights looks like a 120v string. I have never seen a 240v stringer like that.

In any case, the amperage of those strings would be 0.3 amps or less.

Dan

Electrically if all 100 2.5 volt bulbs were connected in series, you could run them on 240 volts. The current would be exactly half of what the 120 volt one’s are. A typical current is .340 amps and the .175 amps you listed (even though you have it labels as Watts) are pretty close to what I would expect.

Because the plug on that string is a 120 volt type, the close-up picture shows three wires and the 3 amp rating on the outlet , it does not appear to be a 240 volt string.

It could very well be a 240 volt string but that is not a standard way to make such a string.

Good day to all, Sir I want to ask if my new power cord extension can use to LOR unit to plug both power cords OR do I need to buy another power cord extension to plug the other power cord of LOR? Please advise me. See the specification below for my power cord extension and attached picture.

Multi-Outlets
Surge Suppressor

Electrical Rating : 220VAC, 15Amps, 3300Watts
Maximum Surge Dissipation : 125 Joules
Maximum Clamping Voltage : 775V (8 x 20 micro sec)
Max Spike Current : 3300 AMP
Impulse Response Time : Less than 50 nanoseconds
Operating Temperature : -40 Degree to +85 Degree

Thank you.
jon

Attached files 212647=11863-22092010694.jpg

Note: I had to look this up in Wikipedia and apparently in the Philippines, the sockets and switches are built to USA dimensions and fit USA sized wall boxes but they run 230 VAC through them.

Jon, you could plug both cords in ONLY if the total current for the controller was no more than the 15 amp rating for the outlet. The general rule that we recommend is to de-rate everything to 80% so I would recommend no more than 12 amps.

If you need more than this amount, you would need to run separate power cords to two different outlets on different circuits.

Sir Ernie thank you for the reply. I will only use 30 string Christmas lights for now and expected rating each string will be 0.3 (0.3 x 30 = 9 amps) So as your advise I will plug both power cords of LOR unit to my power cord extension. as of now I will use only regular Christmas lights.
Again thank you Sir and please let me know if you have some advise to me before I start my small light show.

have a nice day.

jon

jonjon_dm wrote:

Sir Ernie thank you for the reply. I will only use 30 string Christmas lights for now and expected rating each string will be 0.3 (0.3 x 30 = 9 amps) So as your advise I will plug both power cords of LOR unit to my power cord extension. as of now I will use only regular Christmas lights.
Again thank you Sir and please let me know if you have some advise to me before I start my small light show.

have a nice day.

jon

And remember that you are only at 9amps IF all the lights are on at the same time (which most of the time they won't be). Just make sure that your 0.3Amps per line is correct (that is what they are here in the USA, but not sure there).

I would suggest getting something like the Kill-a-watt so you can accurately measure what your exact power load is on each channel. That will help prevent you from accidentally overloading a channel/circuit (maybe not as big of an issue this year, but it will be as your display grows).

http://www.meritline.com/p3-international-p4400-kill-a-watt-the-electricity-detector---p-22980.aspx

(obviously have to get something similar that operates on your voltage in the Philippines).