Light-O-Rama Forums

Double dipping (channels)

Gina Burns

So I asked this at PC and I wanted to come here to ask this as well....does anyone know of or have video of two display items on the same channel that I can see. I am wanting to combine my arches with maybe my mini trees but I wanted to see how this would look before I commit to it...so any videos with combining two items would be great! Thanks

I don't know if any of my videos specifically show it, but I combine a number of like-elements in both yards quite often - mini trees, spinners, and poles specifically. Ties both yards together and looks fine, although not exactly the question you asked. I also use similar patterns in different elements of the display from time to time (in the same parts of the music) and it works out just fine.

If youi want to see an example, last year I did Time by Pink Floyd and during the middle part of the song I used the same VU effects in many different elements in the yard and I thought it looked pretty good. But that was/is an effect I use sparingly, as opposed to constantly.

Personally, I think if the items that share channels aren't in the same line of sight they'll probably be okay. A lot depends on what else you have going in your display that would distract the eyes so that the sameness of the arches and mini trees wouldn't be easily noticed. If they're close to each other I think it might have a tendancy to become boring very easily. But I'm just one guy with one opinion. (Well, that's not exactly true - I have a lot of opinions but you only asked for one.)

Why not give it a try now while you've still got plenty of time and see how you like it? You're probably a harsher critic than the people who view your display. If it passes your smell test then go with it.

George is giving you good advice by saying try it and see what you think.

My first year I had 12 mini trees sharing my mega tree channels.
Since the mega spins around and the minis are in a straight line it worked out pretty well.
Sorry I guess this doesn't really answer your question about videos since I don't have any 2006 videos posted, but go ahead and dream it up in the LOR animation window and see what you think

GinaB wrote:

So I asked this at PC and I wanted to come here to ask this as well....does anyone know of or have video of two display items on the same channel that I can see. I am wanting to combine my arches with maybe my mini trees but I wanted to see how this would look before I commit to it...so any videos with combining two items would be great! Thanks

1st year upcoming so no videos yet, but i did combine my arches w/ mini trees. I tried to keep the moving objects together (if possible). Some songs require just the arches to be moving, other parts its nice to see arches rolling and mini's swaying. Not sure if this helps but use your imagination, use your visual (house layout) watch it over & over. Then change it with other effects. Your the artist so whatever works for you is the goal. People will still be pleased...