Light-O-Rama Forums

Z Tree Design?

jem5136

Hey Guys,
Alright, this year is my first year for my first computerized display, and I wanted to do a Mega Tree. I wanted something that will take few channels, but still look really cool, so I decided to go with a Z Tree. (I know I put this in the Mega Tree forum, oh well) But I was looking around and I couldn't find much on how to build one. Has anyone made a tutorial, or have pictures of one they have made. I just need something basic, nothing to fancy.
The tree is going to have 16 channels; 4 red, 4 green, 4 blue, and 4 white. It would be great if it was somewhere around 15-20 feet tall. If anyone has any ideas on how to make one, please let me know.

Thanks,
Jesse

Jesse

I've started some smaller "Z" Trees, 5-6 ft high to conceal my floods and spots. They are rather simple in design, and split in half in lieu of horizontal sections. They are constructed from 3/4 PVC.

I still have a 10-12ft "Z" Tree to complete for this season (hopefully). Since I do not have a welder nor the experience my first reaction is total PVC. However, I am considering the first layer to be constructed out of 3/4 x 3/16 angle to provide a rigid base to build up from.

I know on the other forums you will hear the horor stories of constructing anything over 10ft out of PVC. This has a lot to do with the brittleness of PVC in below 30 deg temps.

What part of the country do you reside ??

I live in Northern Indiana. It can get down to -20s on an average year during the nights.
I was thinking I could use some of the old wood I have out in the barn, and use that for the braces, but I'm nor 100% sure I want to use it yet.

Jesse