Light-O-Rama Forums

Mega tree sequencing look.....4 or 8 channels?

Robert G.

I have an 8 foot pvc pipe where I cut 8 evenly spaced slits at the top where I hang the light strands from. I recently strung 8 strands on it and played it on the LOR. I liked the look of the spinning effect, but maybe 8 channels, which means I need 8 100ft ext cords..Would it be better to just string 4 strands on the tree? They are 100 bulb strands so it each can go up one side and down the opposite side. So all in all it will be 4 strands, technically 8, running 4 different channels. Will the spinning effect of just 4 channels some what be the same as if it were 8 channels? I'm looking for a way to cut down on extension cords and the usage of channels, but what will look better? Can someone maybe send me a video of a 4 channel and 8 channel in action?

Thanks for any help.

Have you given thought to putting the controller under the tree? Then you'd only need two long distance cords (for the board power) instead of 8.

I have thought of that, except then I would need longer cords for everything else because of the way I'm positioning my several mega trees. Still just wondering what looks the best though.

I think you should do one with only four channels and see what you think of it. Although I've never done or seen one with four channels, I don't personally believe that's enough to give you anything but the crudest hint of "rotation", but its your tree and if you like it that's what's most important.

Regarding your extension cord situation, if you do the math you might be shocked :shock: at how little difference there is in price between all those extension cords and another controller... showing Sharon those numbers has greased the skids for at least a couple of controllers that I wouldn't otherwise have right now.

George, thanks for your tips. I guess you're right about the smallest hint of rotation so I think I'll go with the 8 channels. Also, quick question about arches; say I'm using 2 10ft pvc pipes and use a coupler to attach them. How do I, or most people, get the bent pvc pipe to stay sturdy? It takes power to hold it in a bent position, so how do people do it without them tipping over?

-Thanks.

Many, perhaps even most, people use 1/2" rebar driven into the ground. I personally have 10' arches and use pieces of rebar that are between 2 and 3 feet long. I drive them into the ground at approximately a 60 degree angle until about 6 or 8 inches shows above ground. For a larger arch like yours you'll likely need longer rebar "stakes". You might even need to use guy wires to stabilize the arch.

On my Mega tree (some may argue I'm cheating, but) I used one controller (16 ch) and went 8 slices of white up and down so that 1 and 9, 2 and 10, etc were on together. Then, I used 4 ch of red and green 1,5,9,13 on together, etc. It is not for purest, but cuts down on controllers your biggest expense. And the effect is pretty good, too. Also, I found that my "effects" from mini-trees translate very well to the mega tree as one is a linear motion and the other circular saving you a ton of time sequencing. I call mine the poor man's Mega tree or at least the frugal man's Mega.

Robert G. wrote:

which means I need 8 100ft ext cords..

Are you buying pre-made extension cords or making your own from SPT2 Lamp Wire and Alligator plugs?

Big money savings making your own...

Robert G. wrote:

I was buying my own. You would have to fill me in on those self made ones.

Do a search on "SPT2" on the forum, you should find lots of posts about it.

Basically you can get a 1000' spool for about $80 (less shipping)..the Vampire Plugs (I originally said Alligator plugs...wrong animal!) are about .50 cents each. Just need to shop around or hit the sales. CDI has about a week left on their sale:

http://www.creativedisplays.com/SiteResources/Data/Templates/templatea.asp?docid=514&DocName=Home

But there are other places to buy. Google it...

They are easy to make, and no waste since you make them to the length you need.

Here is an example of using 4 channels of red, 4 of blue, 4 of green-

http://www.vimeo.com/8301480 Hopefully I will be expanding to 8 next year if I can find some Walmart leds in the after Christmas sales. As the tree looks a little thin to me. On each channel I have a string going from the ground up over the top and back down. And another plugged into its end and back up and back down. Technically it is 4 strings with 2 soldered together to get the height I wanted.