Light-O-Rama Forums

Music

Guest guest

I realize I hijacked 4hoogies thread in a big way, and apologize..

But have a question..may seem like a stupid one...but...going to ask anyway.

It's obvious I'm in a minority saying "don't think i am going to go down the music path for this first time with LOR.."

But now, as I read and read and read, I think.."am I making a big mistake here?.."

So does most everyone go the FM transmitter route..or are there as many people piping the music via speakers in the front yard, etc.?

I know of Ramsey selling low power FM equipment, I'm sure there are others..but its a pretty good investment last time I looked.

To Ernie's point...I guess there is a difference between "blinky blink" (even if it IS LOR blinky blink) and displays set to music...so maybe I do need to rethink that decision.

So for those who do go the music route, is it typically FM..speakers..or both?

Hi Don,

At first, I wasn't going to comment because it's your show. But since you asked, I definitely would recommend using music. Why bother with the expense of getting controllers in the first place if you're not going to synchronize the lights to music? Certainly it would be more economical and every bit as entertaining if you just used flashers or multi-function sets. No one would care or even notice because the display wouldn't even appeal to very many people

Personally, I use both an FM transmitter (EDM) and outdoor speakers. When it's real cold people definitely enjoy being able to sit in their warm vehicles and listen to the lights. When it's a bit warmer, there's few things more fun than joining a group of spectators who are literally dancing in the street. Try it - you'll like it.

It’s going to depend on where you live and your relationship with your neighbors. I don’t know the numbers but I have the impression that the majority use just FM to stay on the positive side of the neighbors and avoid any local noise ordinances.

I know some that have a pedestrian walkway in front of the display where they keep speakers at a low volume level.

Those that said they can turn up the volume also noted the need for much more power for outdoors due to the fact that you don’t have walls to redirect the sound back toward you. Amplifiers can be obtained really cheap at recycle stores like Goodwill.

I agree with George...

Last year I used both an FM transmitter and a Boom Box. Our winter weather in Seattle last year was unseasonably dry (and they are already saying this winter will probably be unseasonably WET!! La Nino as opposed to El Nino), so I had a LOT of walk-ups.

This year I will again use the FM Transmitter, but will be buying at least two (if not four) outdoor speakers.

I may have a unique set-up as I don't have any neighbors across the street (just a water tower) and since the speakers are facing across the street, the two side neighbors don't really hear them. I also shut down the show at 8:30pm on weekdays.

Also planning on having several interactive features this year, and one of them will FOR SURE need outside speakers... :shock:

I also use both a transmitter and speakers. Some people like to stay in their cars and many like to get out and watch from across the street. The people that get out tend to stay much longer than those in cars. I personally enjoy watching it outside as opposed to in the car, it just seems to have more of an impact. I am carefull to make sure that the volume is okay with the neighbors and so far no problem, but I have great neighbors.

And I also agree with what I think you will find to be an overwhelming majority here. Use the music.

Ok, so looks like saturday is time to do a little bit of budget revising and thinking about the music piece and best way to implement.

I am rural, very spread out neighbors, so the speakers should not be an issue...(need to take that one to the governing board, aka wife..;)) to make sure she's ok with it. I still don't think she realizes what she gave me approval to dive into..she knows she's married to a hopeless techie geek, but...this might be beyond what she typically expects..:)

Thanks again for the honest, and non-judgmental opinions, though I know there might be a desire to bonk me on the head with a tomato cage and say "no music?..what the &*%^#^%$ are you thinking?.."...:)

As for the FM vs Speakers, it really depends on how many spectators you expect to watch the show outside their car. Here in MN, that number is somewhere approaching zero, so I eliminated speakers a number of years back. That way, the neighbors have less to complain about, and virtually everyone stays in their car (or right next to it) anyway. So for the last 5 years or so we've used FM only.

While I've been in the "synced to music" camp since 2003, I would stop short of saying doing otherwise would be "just like using flasher sets". You could still do some incredibly cool, coordinated effects, just not synced to music. For example, mini-tree chases, arch effects, etc. Unlike flasher sets that just randomly blink or chase controllers that are monotonous, these effects could be very interesting to watch if done right, and with enough channels.

So it's your show. If you think you can make a good show without music, by all means, do it. Don't "cave in" just because most people happen to use music- it doesn't make it the "only correct way".

Best of luck!
-Tim

DonFL wrote:

Thanks again for the honest, and non-judgmental opinions, though I know there might be a desire to bank me on the head with a tomato cage and say "no music?..what the &*%^#^%$ are you thinking?.."...:)

Nah..we wouldn't waste a good tomato cage on your head...besides, it's not heavy enough...maybe a Mega Tree ;)

The fact you live in the USA where more & more folks are going with a musical display kind of puts some pressure on you to go the musical way.

Up this way in the Western Provinces of Canada this Lor thing (or D-Light, A.L, D.I.Y.) is still a new concept and static display homes can draw more viewers that a number of the homes using Lor or any other controllers draw up here.

There is a fellow in Edmonton that draws 400 cars everyday with no let up at all until take down.

Candy Cane Lane draws something like 400-600 cars a night if not more. 2 miles of lite houses.

I had more cars and viewers on foot while I was static than I have been getting once I went controllers...........but last year things improved and people are now accepting musical displays slowly but surely.

This year I may very well get the viewers thanks to the project I am working on, and I believe some recording artists want to display the show on their website.

I believe like Tim that you can do a static display with some controllers adding some special effects to mini trees that do a slow fade into 4 colours or something to that idea.....and the folks will come......and word of mouth helps.

On the other hand, you spent bucks on Lor controllers and you would be better off doing a musical show........you could have a day with music and a day without music all of December and keep track of viewers and see which draws the folks.

It is your display, your money, your choice.

Oh yes, I use an FM Transmitter & Boom Box, and do to the very cold temps we had these few years no neighbours complained because they wanted to stay warm in their homes. ;)

Guest Don Gillespie

its your display do it your way I to use an FM receiver and also channel music outside if you are going to put music outside do not get cheap speakers as they will sound terrible I hook up a receiver to my computer and then take the sound out that way, thus I can control all of the effects ie; bass, treble, things like that the people will come make no mistake about it I have seen lights that have no music it looks ok but the lights with the music is a knock out, people will watch for quite some time welcome aboard ;)

Don:

MY preference is to set the display to music. But as you know, that's not the only way to do it. Sequencing to music can be fun, and the end product can be amazing, but it also consumes the most time and effort of all this display stuff - especially if you are at all anal retentive and want the beat dead on with the lights. The music requires a little more investment of $$$ also, but can be well worth it. But it is NOT a requirement.

If you decide to sequence to music -- Last year (my first with LOR), I used speakers only, because of limited time and funds. I used "rock" outdoor speakers. It was great to stand out there and hear it and see it at the same time (fruits of my labors). The grandkids (ages 2-7) were blown away and can't wait to see this year's display. I kept the volume reasonably low (no complaints from the neighbors). But I had very little foot traffic. So the people in the cars that stopped had to roll down their windows, IF they realized there was music. (Comments were all more than positive.) So this year I'll be using a transmitter (Eclipse 4000) as well as the speakers.

If you decide NOT to use music -- you'll impress far more if everything you make the lights do makes sense with the rest of it. Rather than having elements blinking willy-nilly, I suggest you:

1) create "scenes" or vignettes with the lights. One scene could be all red, for example, while another is all green. Or use other parts of the display (blowmolds, mega/minimega tree, etc.) as scenes. Make the lights purposeful by being very intentional with what you create.

2) Even without music, there should be a "beat" or tempo to your sequences. Switch between the scenes slowly (fade from one to the next). Everything should flow smoothly. It will look better and make more sense to the observer than if everything is jumping along herky-jerkily.

In either case, I don't encourage rushing in and buying a bunch of stuff and throwing it all together. Decide what you want to try, try a few things, see how they work, then reevaluate. Look for new ways to incorporate old ideas. Right now you have a zillion things to consider, and unless you are Mr. Gates, money is always a factor. Go it "slower," and create and follow a plan. There is always next year to "make it better". Don't try to do it all at once.

And remember, you can always do both (music and silent). Get a starter kit, and if you at all think you might add controllers in the future, I recommend you get the advanced software and be done with it. Then create some silent sequences that get you up and running (also gives you some experience with the software). Then pick a couple of "simple" straightforward songs that you like to hear ('cause you're gonna hear 'em over and over and over). Set them to music, then add them to the mix. Create your show by intermixing the musical sequences with the silent ones (called animations).

Above all, have fun with it. If you can't have fun, it ain't worth it. And, if YOU have fun, those who watch your show will see that and it will be fun for them, too.

Cray

DonFL,

Seeing you too are in Florida, I would recommend both FM transmitter and speakers. I find I get more people standing watching the display than sitting in their car (weather permitting).

I bought a FM stereo receiver at a garage sale ($20.00) tune it to my FM station and plugged the receiver into a timer. My show runs from 6:00pm to 11:00pm but only from 6:00pm to 9:00pm are the speakers working, happy neighbors.

If you go this route be sure to test the receiver before buying it. Plug it in, push the power switch, then unplug it, I waited a bit then plugged it back in to see if it powered up. Some units require you to push the power button again.

I just used a cheap plug in timer from Lowes instead of programming it into LOR. Just kept it simple and can change it fast if needed.

Lee

This is kind of related, last year was my first with LOR and 2nd with a music animated display. We have a lot of people that walk at night all year, one elderly gentle man yelled over at me last year: "Your lights look great when they are all on, then they start flashing and all that crap" I told him to walk on my side of the street and you can hear the music....

I have my outdoor boom box turned up just loud enough to hear it if you're on the sidewalk in front of my house - but not from across the street.

My vote is both FM and outdoor speakers if you live in a mild weather location.

Steve

sjmiller wrote:

This is kind of related, last year was my first with LOR and 2nd with a music animated display. We have a lot of people that walk at night all year, one elderly gentle man yelled over at me last year: "Your lights look great when they are all on, then they start flashing and all that crap" I told him to walk on my side of the street and you can hear the music....

I love that.."they start flashing and all that crap.."...I think my wife said that to me once..:D

I honestly haven't come to a decision on this. The easy one is.."yes, music"..budgetarily, I can manage it.

Still thinking about the fact I have no sidewalks, rural road, 50 mph..would be interesting to see if anyone stops to see if there is any music to the display or "just flashing lights and all that crap..". If I do it, I pretty much have to go with an FM transmitter so people are not trying to cross the road if they stop. And yea, it also raises the question of..am I in a location which really isn't a good situation for a major display..

So as I sit on the beach this weekend (an oil-less one..) will have to decide which direction I go in.

DonFL wrote:

And yea, it also raises the question of..am I in a location which really isn't a good situation for a major display..

I knew my house would not be suitable for any amount of traffic (main arterial with no place to stop and park), so I set up at a friends house.

They are pretty good at letting me do whatever I want...in fact just cemented 9 sleeves into their front yard for this years display.

jimswinder wrote:

I knew my house would not be suitable for any amount of traffic (main arterial with no place to stop and park), so I set up at a friends house.

They are pretty good at letting me do whatever I want...in fact just cemented 9 sleeves into their front yard for this years display.

Now, that's a friend!!

And if you want to come by my house and set up your controllers and lights, that would be OK, too. :P

Cray

Cray Augsburg wrote:

And if you want to come by my house and set up your controllers and lights, that would be OK, too. :P

Have Sequence, Will Travel

D&G Gillespie wrote:

Are they true freinds are they picking up the power bill LOL

Yep...they picked up the bill...all $30 extra of it. Their bill for December/January (we get billed every two months) was $130...which was $30 more than the same period the year before. But we don't know if the difference was the lights or the extra 500 sq ft of house I had added on for them.

I run all LED's... :P