Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR History

Guest guest

Jeff_Womack wrote:

Thanks for the history of AL at least as you see it. Now back to the thread.....LOR history.

I wasnt the first to mention the competition, but I think its worthy in any case to mention the influences that contributed to LOR's existence which like Pepsi, wouldnt be around if not for Coca Cola for example.

Very fine worth mentions already made were the vital contribution made by Planet Christmas web page's own existence. Also worth of mention, Jeff Sands' Blitzen, although I never could understand why the man hated Dasher, nobody else has ever offered an 8 channel "brain" for around $40 like Drew did.

I also think a very under recognized contribution was Dave Holmes' Dasher-S compatible serial controller. It not only showed a strong market potential for both Drew and Dan Baldwin for ready to go controllers that included brain and SSR replacement triacs, but were safer and easier to install and use. I also think Dave Holmes have a powerful influence by causing Christmas Cave to rethink its strategy because others were now coming in and eating Drew's lunch with his own invention and technology. We are kinda seeing D-Light doing a repeat Dave Holmes to Dan's LOR and now D-Light is helping eat Dan's lunch. I dont quite understand the passivity with Drew allowing people to copy the SCCB code in chips or Dan to allow people to violate his copyrights with clone boards but it looks like all the players in this business are just plain nice people.

• 4 years later...

wow...just came across this and found it very interesting! I remember graduating from highschool in 2005 and seeing Carson Williams video on the internet and wanting to get involved so bad! However, i didnt have a job and my parents wernt about to buy into this hobby! haha so i always told myself when i own a home that is the first thing i am buying.... and it pretty much was!

I personally got interrested in animated lighting when I first saw a show to the north of where I live now in West Haven, Utah. It was called WestHavenlights. It is now gone but I also viewed Richard Holdman's show 2 years ago and It helped me to decide to to it even more. Now that I have done a show for 2010 with 6 controllers (96 Channels) I am ready for more. I do have to THANK Dan and the rest of the crew for such a fine product line.

Jeff Millard wrote:

Jeff_Womack wrote:
I can tell you what I know... " "

Hope that helps.

Jeff

Please refer to the space between the quotes...

Jeff

You mean the space between the ears....

MikeH

Jeff Millard wrote:

I can make a nice straight line with the center finger of my right hand... or my left hand... or both... in stereo!

Jeff

Jingle Bells, Jingle Bells, Jingle s3 is on the way ya:D