Light-O-Rama Forums

All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Today
  2. Lot #13 HC 100 ct pixel strings with 10 foot plugs X 9 (used) - $100 plus shipping
  3. Yesterday
  4. k6ccc

Good ways to update props

Kind of depends on how you are sequencing. In either case, I would start by modifying the preview to reflect the new reality. If you are using Motion Effects (which I don't) as I recall, opening the effect will stretch it to the new size. If you are using SuperStar, there is a resize command to do that as well (and you can do the entire show in one command if you sequence that prop as a single "Insert SuperStar Effects".
  5. Looking for advice from this wonderful community... I'm starting to work on my holiday display early as I have some new props and sequences to add, but I also have a number of existing strings (AC and RGB) that run into my plants and trees. The one problem with these plants is that they are not so static (they grow, get pruned, and even get moved/removed). During last year's show, it bothered me a bit that two of the big trees (Palo Verde and Mesquite for those interested) had changed enough that many of the effects just didn't look right. So I want to update the props for those trees (in a couple of instances, I expect to increase the string length), and was interested in how others handle this issue. Do you create new ones and try to replace the existing? Do you tweak the existing (could be interesting as there are at least 32 strings of 50 pixels, and few pixels would be untouched)? Other methods? Maybe some just live with it? All suggestions are welcome (since I cannot be the only one with this problem).
  6. Tim Fischer

LOR and RGBW pixels

OK, so you have to model every pixel (or in your case flood) separately. I can probably make that work as I only have a limited number of landscape lights. But that's not very scalable if someone were to buy RGBW pixel strings in quantity.
  7. Hello, Revised List minus what is no longer available. Lot #1 Boscoyo Medium Arches. New never used. 6 pairs - $12 plus shipping Lot #2 Holiday Coro 350watt 12volt power supplies X 3. New never used. (HC brand not Meanwell) - $27 plus Shipping Lot #4 Fire Prop (throws fire in the air, used a few times) Used - $20 plus shipping Lot #8 HC Lay flat Pixels 50 ct. (New not used) X 10 - $125 plus shipping Lot #9 HC Lay flat Pixels 50 ct. (New not used) X 8 - $100 plus shipping Lot #10 HC Lay flat Pixels 100 ct. (New not used) X 3 - $75 plus shipping Lot #11 HC Bullett node 50 ct. & one 100 ct. (New not used) X 6 (total) - $90 plus shipping Lot #12 HC Extreme strip for a Pixel tree (still in roll never used, about 215 feet 2.5" spacing), Quick tree topper (QT8 16 strip) - $40 plus shipping I am working on taking apart some pixel mini trees which will result in 9 strand of 100 pixel with 10 foot cords attached that were from HC. Also, I am looking into all the controllers I have. I will post this stuff this weekend. Thank you!
  8. Zach Carner

LOR and RGBW pixels

I think Steven is describing the programming the same way I did it. I have the RGBWW flood lights from YPS. You essentially just have to play around with the channel programming in Sequencer to make it work. The RGBWW floods take 4 channels a piece instead of the typical 3. They are as follows: 1. Warm White 2. Red 3. Green 4. Blue In that order. For my sequencing I have an AC warm white strand modeled as 1 bulb in the flood light display option. That gets the first channel (Unit ID 1 Channel 1). I then have one smart RGB pixel light modeled as a flood that accounts for the next three channels (Unit ID 1 Channels 2-4). That way, if I want to change colors to say orange or purple, the color mixing still works the same way it would for a typical RGB flood. For the second RGBWW flood, I repeated this process. Warm white channel 5 and RGB smart pixel channels 6-8. It’s possible, just have to get creative. Like others have mentioned, not too bad when they’re the only things on during the spring and summer, but somewhat tedious when you have a lot of lights to program. I drive it all through a Pixie4 controller run off a director.
  9. Last week
  10. James Shelby

Mega Tree question

I'm running S4.
  11. BrianBruderer

Mega Tree question

Yes, it will run in S4 but I strongly recommend you stick with S5 or S6 whichever you are currently using.
  12. James Shelby

Mega Tree question

Can this size of pixel tree, 19200 pixels, run in S4???
  13. James Shelby

Mega Tree question

Yes I found out both things. That's what I was saying before, I have, I think opened every door in s6 that there is. My plan is to throw a motion effect onto a sequence and let it run to the end but how do you fade it out at the end? Thanks for all your help, this has been an education for sure.
  14. BrianBruderer

Mega Tree question

Motion effects are done within the sequencer. You highlight the motion effect row, right click and choose "insert motion effect"
  15. k6ccc

Mega Tree question

Correct. SuperStar does have what is called Auto Sequencing, but it's still not magic. You have to put in a fair amount of effort to get good results.
  16. James Shelby

Mega Tree question

It appears I'm going down the wrong trail again. I was thinking SuperStar would apply "motion effects" to the whole sequence with a few clicks of a mouse but it appears from watching videos and following your instructions I was wrong, the effects are created by the user. Motion Effects and SuperStar are two different programs. I really thank everyone for your help. On to finding another trail to head down.
  17. gsmith37064

Mattos EVO Pixels

What type of controller and power supply did you use? How many pixels total on the controller? I assume 300 pixels per pigtail? How was the color? What about the brightness of the pixels? Did each strand come with a x-connect pigtail?
  18. yffej151963

Mattos EVO Pixels

I used them in strings of 300 without issue last year except they were harder to install in some props. But that was year one, so perhaps may be improved.
  19. James Shelby

Mega Tree question

This is the most help I've received in months of working on this, thank you so much. I have a few more weeks to spend on this then I have two remodels starting soon. And the display starts going up in October.
  20. BrianBruderer

Mega Tree question

To do steps 1 and 2, do the following: In the Preview Design screen click on "add" Choose the first option which will be "Create a new PROP using one of the built-in shapes, or define a custom shape" The "Prop Definition" dialog box will appear. In the middle, below the word "shape" click on the drop down. Choose "Matrix-Vertical-Rectangle" Set "actual number of strings" to 128, set "exact number of RGB nodes per string" to 150 To add a group, while in the Preview Design screen click on "add" then choose the second option which is "create a new group from existing props or groups" In the dialog box that appears place a check mark by the things you want in the group, in this case you only want the 128x150 prop As for the documentation saying that the license is for the number of channels or pixels, you are correct that that is what the documentation says. But it turns out, the documentation is incorrect. When I wrote that I was assuming a one-to-one correlation between pixels and little green squares, but I was wrong.
  21. k6ccc

Mega Tree question

Without shrinking it a little in the preview.
  22. gsmith37064

Mattos EVO Pixels

Has anyone played with these yet? https://mattosdesigns.com/products/evo-pixels?variant=45668249272620 It looks like you can get a long run of 300 pixels per node with the same power consumption as standard 12mm 50 string pixel node... if I did my math right. They fit in all the current mega strips, pixel boards, coro, etc from all the major vendors.
  23. James Shelby

Mega Tree question

Thanks for all the info. Like I was thinking my tree is 19200 pixels and that's to big for the 16000 license am I correct?
  24. k6ccc

Mega Tree question

There are two limits in this discussion. And Brian may have to correct me a little on some of this. 16,000 squares on the sequencing grid. This is currently a hard limit in SuperStar. For the most part it can be ALMOST any combination of number of rows times the number of columns. As I recall either rows or columns does have a max that is something like 256 or 320. When I started in 2011 it was 64 rows and I don't remember how many columns. That number has gone up multiple times since then. This has nothing to do with your license level. In my current layout, I have 64 rows (yes, a holdover from the old days) and 150 columns. Your license level dictates how many channels can be exported to the Sequencer. Note that I said channels, not pixels. Although SuperStar deal primarily with pixels, it CAN deal with single channel props. I do have a couple and it goes into the count that Brian mentioned earlier. You can sequence a larger number in SuperStar, but you can't export the result to Sequencer. Prior to S5, number of pixels and pixels being sequenced were the same, but that changed with S5 - just to confuse it a bit more. In MOST cases with S5/S6 the number of pixels and the number of pixels being sequenced is the same, HOWEVER if you use the preview mode (in Prop Definition in the Preview Editor), you can shrink it down to a smaller number. Not something I have ever done, but as I understand it, you can shrink the prop in the preview and that smaller number is what gets sequenced. If you shrink it a lot it will get more blocky looking, but with only a small reduction, no one (except maybe you) will ever notice it while watching the show. Someone who has done this may be able to explain it better. One other note for S5/S6. I suspect the way MOST people use SuperStar, they are sequencing one prop at a time. In other words, grab one prop or group that likely relates to the one prop and do the "Insert SuperStar Effects". When doing that, your SuperStar license only needs to be as large as the largest prop or group being sequenced at a time. In other words, if your pixel tree is 800 pixels, with a 270 pixel star on top and your arches are 300 pixels, if you were only sequencing the tree, you would need a license that covers 800 pixels, but if you sequenced the tree and star, you would need a license that covers 1070 pixels, and if you did a group with all three you would need a license that covers at least 1370 pixels. Note that I am mostly not doing it that way. I sequence a group that has every prop in my yard except my P5 and P10 matrix panels and my old school singing face trees. That group has 11,805 channels (mostly pixels). In full disclosure, I have a 16,000 pixel SuperStar license - which is now large enough that I can sequence my P5 or P10 matrix panels separately. If Brian comes up with a larger license limit, I could sequence both matrix panels and the rest of the props in one "Insert SuperStar Effects)...
  25. James Shelby

Mega Tree question

sorry again but where do you do number 1 and 2. After reading the information on the superstar website it said 16000 pixels not squares in a grid. I would hate to waste your time and mine for this not to work with me starting out with 19200 pixels. That is a lot of money to upgrade to if it doesn't work also. I'm looking for something that will just work. I remember the starting days of RGB and you needed to build your own boards and link 4 pieces of software together for the lights to work. If superstar needs to have some trickie finagling to work, how am I to fix that if in the show it stops working?
  26. k6ccc

Mega Tree question

Any chance of that number getting larger in the future? Double it and I'll buy the upgrade in a heartbeat...
  27. BrianBruderer

Mega Tree question

Again, sorry for all of the frustrations. I have been there. I have been stuck spinning my wheels trying to figure out software. I also apologize that superstar doesn't do more than 16,000 squares on the sequencing grid. When I designed things years ago, 16,000 seemed like more than anyone would ever need. I was wrong! I just tried it and verified that superstar instant sequence works if you do the following: 1- make your tree be a vertical rectangle instead of a tree 2- make a group and add your 128x150 tree to it 3- when viewing the group, you can set the arrangement on the right side of the dialog box, set it to "Use Preview" 4- using the slider at the lower right of the dialog box you can set the grid to whatever size you want. Set it so that the width is 24 or less 5- go to the main screen of the sequencer, select the motion effect row for the group. Do "insert superstar effect" 6- after superstar launches you should be able to do instant sequence. Even with the 300 pixel license you can do instant sequence and play it within superstar. But when you exit superstar and go back to the sequencer it will not play to the playback screen in the sequencer, nor will it play to your actual lights. To do that you will need to purchase a license that supports the number green squares in your grid. While in superstar, if you click on Tools and select "Layout", on the right side of the layout dialog box it will tell you the number of squares in the grid and the license level required to support the grid Also, note that by reducing the grid size, the effects on your lights will be limited to the resolution of the grid. It might be good for me to remote into your computer and help you out. If you want to do that, send and email to brian@superstarlights.com and we can set up a time to do that.
  28. James Shelby

Mega Tree question

But the message told me it would not play the lights either. Please don't be upset with me, this is learn as I go. I have no one here who understands the programming and every path I have taken has ended in a dead end. The error came when I tried to open SuperStar, "I'm only licensed for 300 pixels and I had 57,600 channels in my sequence". So I went to the SuperStars web site and found it only goes up to 16,000 pixels, so what do I know my tree is 19,200 and last I checked that's over the maximum of 16,000. I am trying really hard to get a foothold on this and after months I'm still finding every rabbit hole I go down leads to a dead end with people getting short with me. I feel one day I will understand it but the only way that's going to happen is if I ask questions. Most of you know the one thing you know, I'm running into everything and so far none it pertains to what I'm doing but I'm sure it will get narrow down soon.
  1. Load more activity