Light-O-Rama Forums

Stupid teenagers ruining it for everybody.

Jaynee

A wonderful neighbor called me tonight to alert me that teens had been in our yard at 11:30 p.m. messing with our display.  From inside their house they turned on their car (God bless remote control car starters) and flashed their headlights, and the teenagers quickly got in their SUV and drove away.

When my husband and I went out into the yard to investigate, sure enough we found one of our lighted animals was missing.  Nothing else was touched, thankfully.

Sadly, our security footage ended up being useless because A STUPID SPIDER had built a giant web over one camera, making it impossible to see much of anything in the night vision mode, and the other camera mysteriously stopped recording about 20 seconds before the car pulled up (something we could JUST see in the other camera, despite the web).  The other camera did not start recording again until 5-6 minutes after the SUV drove away.  I told my husband I'm investing in new cameras.  

But not only that, our motion detection light did not turn on at all - and when my husband and I went outside to investigate, quickly realized that it was set on LOW sensitivity and did not come on during the incident (it is now on HIGH sensitivity and comes on even when people are on the sidewalk (we tested this several times just now)).  On our security footage, through the web we could see a kid running on the sidewalk in front of house, but not much else because of the web.  My husband cleaned the web off the other camera and we now have a clear view again.

I posted on our neighborhood Facebook page in case anyone has info about kids being out at 11:30 p.m. at night, in case anyone knows something.  But I'm very grateful to our neighbors who heard the kids and scared them off.

This is the fourth year in a row that kids have messed with our display.  We were doing so well - two weeks in and nothing had happened.

So disappointed.

Edited by Jaynee

Man. That's a bummer. I'm sorry that happened to you. I always wonder what the kids do with the stolen stuff when they get it home. I mean, I doubt they're going to put it out in their yard now. Initially I was bummed that our neighborhood was gated, but honestly I'd rather just have our neighbors and friends enjoy the display (and they do) and not have to worry about unruly kids messing it up. It's a lot less stress lol. 4 years in a row.. man.. that's either extremely unlucky or there are quite a few bad seeds in the area. 

Sorry to hear that. It's bad to say but I've been waiting for something to happen myself. I'm not sure if you can chalk it up to jealousy, youth, ignorance or all of the above. 

• Like 1

I have a Night Owl system.

The thing I liked is the Power Over Ethernet (POE). If you are running wires to remote locations in your house it is easier to fish a CAT5 through a tiny hole than having to drill huge holes all over your house for the coax with connector already installed. That is what I did. I didn't use the supplied cable. I ran my own CAT5e then terminated the ends.

The quality is decent on my cell phone when I am not home. The whole system is easy to install and configure.

Edited by MikeERWNC

6 hours ago, LightsWithSoul said:

Man. That's a bummer. I'm sorry that happened to you. I always wonder what the kids do with the stolen stuff when they get it home. I mean, I doubt they're going to put it out in their yard now. Initially I was bummed that our neighborhood was gated, but honestly I'd rather just have our neighbors and friends enjoy the display (and they do) and not have to worry about unruly kids messing it up. It's a lot less stress lol. 4 years in a row.. man.. that's either extremely unlucky or there are quite a few bad seeds in the area. 

Last time something was stolen, the girl had it in the trunk of her car.

For the most part we live in a good area - but it's not the sleepy town it once was.  We have a LOT of teens in our neighborhood and not all of them are the brightest bulbs in the pack.  I'm hoping that in this instance we have what we experienced a few years ago - an honest teen who turned in the thieving teen and enabled us to get our piece back.

Edited by Jaynee

GOOD NEWS!  The housecleaner of our next door neighbor found it laying in their yard this morning, and brought it over.  From the description of where it was in their yard, it is most likely that when my OTHER neighbor scared off the teens, they threw it into the other yard as they drove away.

We've opted not to put it back out but will just put it in the shed and consider it a "head start" on breaking everything down at the end of this season.

12 hours ago, Jaynee said:

our security footage ended up being useless because A STUPID SPIDER had built a giant web over one camera

I keep having that on one of my cameras.  Fortunately it's an easy one to get to for web removal, but it's annoying.  Looked out there a few nights ago and the spider was doing it's thing right in front of the lens.  It's no longer with us, but another one took it's place :(

17 hours ago, Ebuechner said:

So your cameras are on the web. Give us the link:D. arachnid.com?

This morning I flipped over to the live camera video feed on that TV and that spider was FRONT AND CENTER rebuilding his dang web!  I told my husband that the mission tonight is to FIND IT AND KILL IT so it can't rebuild it again.

Another item to consider for a easy solution (I sell and all install alarms and cameras for 30 plus years) Try an item for $200.00  dollars for

a product called RING.COM. his is there internet address or can purchase at Best Buy and a few others. It connects through your internet

wifi and then interface it through your smart phone. Has both audio and video, will send live video to your phone. Another item to look at is

drive way alerts.The one I recommend is made by a company call OPTEX. You can GOOGLE an get them for under $200.00 detects

motion it beeps inside the house and then you can look out to see why it beep When it comes on your phone you not only get video but

you can also get audio and even speak back to them.    Good luck and again sorry for your grief

• Like 1

Another item to consider for a easy solution (I sell and all install alarms and cameras for 30 plus years) Try an item for $200.00  dollars for

a product called RING.COM. his is there internet address or can purchase at Best Buy and a few others. It connects through your internet

wifi and then interface it through your smart phone. Has both audio and video, will send live video to your phone. Another item to look at is

drive way alerts.The one I recommend is made by a company call OPTEX. You can GOOGLE an get them for under $200.00 detects

motion it beeps inside the house and then you can look out to see why it beep When it comes on your phone you not only get video but

you can also get audio and even speak back to them.    Good luck and again sorry for your grief

2 hours ago, Jaynee said:

This morning I flipped over to the live camera video feed on that TV and that spider was FRONT AND CENTER rebuilding his dang web!  I told my husband that the mission tonight is to FIND IT AND KILL IT so it can't rebuild it again.

2 things that might help if your camera is in the area that you can do this. Mothballs in a cup near the camera or dryer sheets. I've used both of these methods with varied results. But I've always seen Improvement

• Like 1

On 12/13/2016 at 10:36 AM, manitoutheos said:

That way too high for motion alarm.

I use three and all together cost far less than that. They are going strong for three years and I have full width front coverage about 300'

Now if they come past that with bad intentions my video system will record it as they suffer from lead poisoning.

On 12/13/2016 at 0:05 PM, Ebuechner said:

2 things that might help if your camera is in the area that you can do this. Mothballs in a cup near the camera or dryer sheets. I've used both of these methods with varied results. But I've always seen Improvement

I have a large camera mounted in my old satellite dish mount on the top of my roof about 75' up.

Two days after returning the lift used to install the camera I had a huge banana or wolf spider make a web dead center.

Ended up taking my pressure washer and outing some bug killer in the liquid tank and terminating it!

Havent seen another spider on it since almost 4 years ago

Spiders with security cameras are definitely an issue. Those little buggers like to show off in front of them. I own my own business I have a lot of security cameras and that's one of the biggest problems. For me even a single string of the web in front of the camera creates an issue, my cameras are setup to record on motion and that single little strand moving in the breeze will end up recording a lot of dead video and using up hard drive space.

With the direction we went on this thread maybe it should have been stupid spiders are ruining it for everybody :D.

Jaynee you know you've been accepted when we hijack your post.

Now do we start talking about orange extension cords

Heh.  I'm one that uses orange extension cords (and red/white striped), so let's not talk about that.  Don't want to get into an argument over the fact that I got them cheap!!

1 hour ago, Jaynee said:

Heh.  I'm one that uses orange extension cords (and red/white striped), so let's not talk about that.  Don't want to get into an argument over the fact that I got them cheap!!

I think you missed it it's an ongoing joke around here. it was started by someone who made a video claiming that orange extension cords use more electricity.

So of course the rest of us took that post to the extreme. :P

(You had to be there)

6 minutes ago, Ebuechner said:

I think you missed it it's an ongoing joke around here. it was started by someone who made a video claiming that orange extension cords use more electricity.

So of course the rest of us took that post to the extreme. :P

(You had to be there)

I remember that thread well. =)