Light-O-Rama Forums

Show up and running NOT

kingfish

everything is out controllers connected. controller one two and three running solid green light . controller 4 flashing green light

any quick troubleshooting tips before I go nuts and tear everything apart

Edited by kingfish

does not seam to be cat five when all cat 5 cables disconnected light still blinking  did change cat 5 to no avail

I have one controller that seems to not daisy chain out. so could be controller #3 is not "looping through" and controller 4 is fine.  I apparently have a bad jack on the right.  Have new jack and will replace after Christmas.  Just changed controller ID so it is the last one in the loop and all will work fine.  So that may be  the case for you too.  Take #4 and set it in #3's place and see if it connects then.  If so plug #3 in where #4 was and see if it connects.  If so, swap the ID's so your stuff will plug up right and worry about it after the light season!  Good luck and I hope this helps ya out and gets ya going. 

took new box which I just had to build . replaced 4 cause I am stubborn . and of course it did not solve problem. took box4 and reconfigure it to 3 and it works. know I know box3 is bad what do I do to troubleshoot box 3 to find out what is wrong. I am assuming bad jack like bd said

On 10/22/2016 at 0:17 PM, bdwillie said:

I have one controller that seems to not daisy chain out. so could be controller #3 is not "looping through" and controller 4 is fine.  I apparently have a bad jack on the right.  Have new jack and will replace after Christmas.  Just changed controller ID so it is the last one in the loop and all will work fine.  So that may be  the case for you too.  Take #4 and set it in #3's place and see if it connects then.  If so plug #3 in where #4 was and see if it connects.  If so, swap the ID's so your stuff will plug up right and worry about it after the light season!  Good luck and I hope this helps ya out and gets ya going. 

Bit confused.  Why would you have to change the ID?  As far as I  know, it doesn't matter what order the boxes are chained in. My #2 box goes out to my #4, and then 4 goes to 3, which goes to 6, and then to 5.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dcroc said:

Bit confused.  Why would you have to change the ID?  As far as I  know, it doesn't matter what order the boxes are chained in. My #2 box goes out to my #4, and then 4 goes to 3, which goes to 6, and then to 5.

Agree, don't need to change ID if it has a bad port just put it last in line until you can get it fixed.

Try moving the cat5 cable while it's connected, I had a bad rj45 jack before and I found it by wiggling the cable around. Look at the pins also in the rj45 jack see if any are bent not making contact.

I agree, check for bent pins or pins that are out of place. Its also possible that its become pulled out of the board slightly which would require a full teardown and resoldering but its easier to do than you might think. Help Desk can send you more connectors.

I had this problem when I first started because I used strain relief cat 5 ends and when the enclose door was closed it put pressure on the cat 5 and bent the pins in the jack.

My fix was simple and fast. I got a magnified glass and a very fine pick. Look in the jack and you will see the pins are bent inward. just take your pick and pull them back out some. This gave me lots of grief at first but not now as I use no cat 5 with strain reliefs. 

On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 1:16 PM, Dcroc said:

My original thought left out one thing, also change the position of the controllers physically ( 3 to 4 and 4 to 3) so the one that wouldn't daisy out would then be the last in the cable run.  Then deal with it after the season.  that way everything would plug up correctly and go!