Light-O-Rama Forums

Not Backing Up Your Sequence?

mpageler

With several current threads on users looking for sequences after a computer crash, a reminder on The following sticky "backup" thread at the top of the Sequence Sharing forum.

http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/28643-backup-your-sequences/

Edited by mpageler

EGADS!   What do you mean you are not backing up your sequences?  ARE YOU CRAZY? :P

Before computers, only 2 things were certain:  Death & Taxes.  Now there are 3: Death, Taxes, & HD crashes.

It's not a question of 'IF' it is a question of 'WHEN'.  

Have you hugged your backup medium today?

Jesus saves.  Buddha makes incremental backups.

A backup saved is a penny earned.

The youth that you see here;I snatch'd one half out of the jaws of death.

(by using my backup)

And if the multitude of "lesson learned" back-up threads don't convince someone that they should be protecting themselves, what do you think a sticky message is going to accomplish? Other than cluttering the page with yet another warning that won't even be read?

Wowzers. Looks like someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed today. If your worried about cluttering. Why respond to a post and add to the "clutter"? Who cares if we get post after post after post of repeated stuff. This usually helps the newbie out seeing something front and center rather than digging an old post up. I know how to search for stuff but maybe someone else doesn't. It takes time for the newbie to get a handle on things and in time will be able to "get it" even if that means screwing up every now and then and learning from the lesson the hard way. And yes, I do have mine backed up on flash drive x2, hard drive x2 and cloud storage x2. Would anyone like to add to the clutter? :-)

And if the multitude of "lesson learned" back-up threads don't convince someone that they should be protecting themselves, what do you think a sticky message is going to accomplish? Other than cluttering the page with yet another warning that won't even be read?

What motivated you to  read this clutter thread?

Wowzers. Looks like someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed today. If your worried about cluttering. Why respond to a post and add to the "clutter"? Who cares if we get post after post after post of repeated stuff. This usually helps the newbie out seeing something front and center rather than digging an old post up. I know how to search for stuff but maybe someone else doesn't. It takes time for the newbie to get a handle on things and in time will be able to "get it" even if that means screwing up every now and then and learning from the lesson the hard way. And yes, I do have mine backed up on flash drive x2, hard drive x2 and cloud storage x2. Would anyone like to add to the clutter? :-)

That is the exact reason i disappeared from here for about 9 months. Certain members here are very hostile towards new members. I for one appreciate a good thread like this. Especially seeing as how i did not back up my stuff for a good month, and my hard drive crashed. lost more then just sequences, lost a lot of pictures as well. Now i do it on a daily basis. 

I hope i was able to help contribute to the clutter.

I hope i was able to help contribute to the clutter.

Very few people (relative to the number of computer owners) think to backup their data. Anytime it's mentioned it's a good thing.

A very good contribution, indeed.

I'm so paranoid, that I backup my backup.  Which is really good advice.  With Microsoft essentially giving away OneDrive space, there's no excuse not to.

I have recently been looking into replacing my hard drive with a solid state hard drive. Heard they dont crash like the spin up hard drives. Right now i have my stuff backed up on an external hard drive, but i also have my stuff backed up on SD cards as well.

SSDs also have limited life span.  EVERYTHING has a limited life span.

And let's forget for a moment about physical things that can cause data loss.  What about those fat fingers of yours accidentally deleting your sequence?  What about the virus you ran that has now encrypted your hard drive?

Backup or suffer the consequences.  ;)

ok ok ok ok ok ok ok ok

I freakin' hear you all.

I took off work today to work on yard setup,

but I'm gonna backup everything now...

Thanks....

Don't thank us.  Thank yourself when your show computer goes POOF.  Reach into the desk drawer for your backup, wave it at the smoking hulk that was your computer and do the nanner nanner boo boo dance.

nanner-nanner.jpg?w=538

mpageler - not hijacking your thread - this goes with it.

Thanks for posting BTW. I've heard it mentioned over & over,

but this was the time "I heard you"...

OK, so here's the deal -

My free "Dropbox" space has crashed.

Says "can't sync  ... (your Dropbox is out of space.)"

Got the thumb drive outta the safe.

Said last time I used it was 2011.... Spank me now...

Didn't have enough free space to save all my sequences.

Technology - humph... You would think 2GB would be big enough to save the world...

Had to get one of the Kingston SD cards I bought from LOR to back up sequences, critical bank and tax financial files (in that order...)

Now I only have one backup SD card to run my miniDirector with.

Before I spend money upping the size of "Dropbox", what do you guys recommend for safe & inexpensive backing up?

I see " MS OneDrive" mentioned above.

Any other recommendations?

Before I spend money upping the size of "Dropbox", what do you guys recommend for safe & inexpensive backing up?

I see " MS OneDrive" mentioned above.

Any other recommendations?

Dropbox is a great file syncing platform, that many people use for backups. (The technical side of me points out these are different things.)

That said I've had no issues with Dropbox, and would recommend it to anyone.

I create a new copy of my sequence each year.

I backup everything to a NAS (long term)

Then I have a backup on a jump drive that I carry around (short term)

I put my sequences on Google drive to share.

Other people download my sequences (WCS I can make a callout for people to send things back)

I version control my exported channel config files.

I need to version control my Visualizer .lee file.

Lets see, I back-up to MS One Drive, 1 Tb that comes along with my Office 365, $9.99 per month. Dropbox, 1 Tb for $9.99 per month. 2) 32 Gb thumb drives at about $15-20 apiece. 2 External drives at $60 apiece.

Having the peace of mind that my years' work is in several different places, and I can pull them up at a moment's notice, "PRICELESS"

It only takes a few seconds to back-up your hard work. It only takes a second or less to lose everything. A couple of years ago, I deleted all of my sequences, by mistake, less than 2 weeks until going live. I believe I actually had a mild heart attack. My saving grace, my PC was not hooked to the internet at the time, so everything was safe in my Dropbox. I just downloaded them again and away I went. If that had not been the case, and I had deleted my sequences, I would have went home that day and tore the whole display down. There was no way to recreate those files in less than 2 weeks.

It was a very important lesson learned though. That's when I started making backups of everything, Sequences, visualizer files, channel configs, everything. Multiple backups too. It's something everybody needs to do to save their bacon.

IF YOU'RE NOT BACKING UP, SHAME ON YOU. It's all part of the hobby. It's best to get in the habit of doing it during your sequencing sessions. Save those sequences during creation too. I've heard people say they worked for multiple hours, only to have something happen and lose those last couple of hours of work.

Dropbox is a great file syncing platform, that many people use for backups. (The technical side of me points out these are different things.)

That said I've had no issues with Dropbox, and would recommend it to anyone.

Just saw your email from "Synchronized Christmas"....

"No sales pitch here. Just a friendly reminder to backup your data!"

Very classy my friend...

Having a backup is good. Having multiple backups is better.

I've said it before, but worth repeating. At home all the files are on my server which is using a RAID-1 array so a single disk crash won't lose anything. That is backed up to an external hard drive every weekend and taken to work. I have several of those drives that are rotated through work. The most recent weekly backup is always at work. At the end of any programming session, the latest version of each file that was worked on is backed up to Google Drive.

I always use a file naming format that leaves no doubt of how current a file is. What I do is put the date and time or a date and revision letter after the song title. For example: Joy_to_the_World_2015-11-03_1015.lms or Joy_to_the_World_2015-11-03d.lms That way, no matter where a file is gotten from, there is no question when it was revised. That way if I'm searching backup sources and I have two versions of a file - for example: Joy_to_the_World_2015-11-03_1015.lms and Joy_to_the_World_2015-11-02_2215.lms, there is no doubt which one is the most recent.

I can not emphasize the importance of off-site backups. If your house is destroyed (fire, flood, tornado), or a burglar cleans you out, having a backup on the shelf next to the computer does you no good.

Maybe try zipping the file or making more then 1 zipped files and e mail them to yourself then save that e mail..