Light-O-Rama Forums

Cat 5 connections in rain/snow - How to prevent issues

tmeyermn

HolidayCoro recommends CorrosionX sprayed on the terminals and such, anyone else have a good way to keep them dry or prevent corrosion and other water issues?  I have a bunch of floods that I'm using with power injection and I'd like to make sure they keep running through Halloween and Christmas.

Thanks!

Tim

I was really impressed with corrosionX.  I sprayed it on the connector and on the coupler.  They are very temperamental even without rain so I am going to phase them out for waterproof pigtail connectors soon  

The general recommendation is NOT to cover with tape.  That will be far better at keeping any moisture in than keeping rain out.

I would recommend against having any connections except inside a controller box.  No connections in the rain makes it less likely to have problems.   BTW, leaving the controllers powered up will keep them a bit warm which helps keep them dry inside too.

I've noticed through many threads that many of you cover your controller boxes with plastic bags to waterproof.  Does that not cause a possible heat problem for the controller if there is not any air circulating?  Last two years my controllers (in LOR plastic weatherproof enclosures)  have been exposed to the elements.   Perhaps I've been lucky but have not had any problems.  but I'd like to keep it that way so if covering them is better I'd like to do that - -just want to make sure I'm not causing heat buildup problems.

Thanks for any input you can provide.  I learn a lot here -- really appreciate all your knowledge you share!

I covered my controllers with black plastic bags but did not seal them closed at the bottoms. I only did this for rain, snow and ice. Yes, I left them turned on 24/7. There were no issues last year.

Of my controllers, the ones that go on the ground, are put on a piece of 1"x12"x2' junk wood, with a 2"x2" at one end to make a ramp. I screw the controller directly to the 1x12 and screw & into the 2z2. This does a few things. It keeps the plugs out of the lawn, the moisture from everything, and because if the ramp, should any massive deluge happen the ramp would allow the water drain. I then cover with (lay on top) Costco yard and leaf bags and secure them to the ground with landscape fabric "U" pins.

I have never had a heat or water intrusion, issue. Plus you are outside, so the ambient temps at night are much cooler.

I second keeping the Cat 5 connections inside the box and covering with black plastic bags. Also secure the cable to a stake or tree to provide strain relief in case someone trips over a cable. 

I actually install a second female jack inside the box with a short cable to the card then hot glue it and the jack to the inside of the case to further protect the card's somewhat fragile RJ45 connector,

Thanks for the info on covering your controllers.  I Know how sensitive computer components can be to heat which raised my concern.  Glad to hear it's not a problem.

Thanks for the info on covering your controllers.  I Know how sensitive computer components can be to heat which raised my concern.  Glad to hear it's not a problem.

Heat is certainly a concern so depending on the climate of where anyone lives, makes that determination of how to handle heat or cold. Where I am, its very cold here at that time so too much heat, isn't an issue.

Tim, you may want to consider the waterproof Cat5 connectors LOR is showing on the accessories page of the store. They are called the RJ45 Waterproof Dangle. I don't know how long they have been selling them but this is the first year I noticed them. Probably picking up several during the summer sale myself.

John

I too cover them with a plastic bag, for both aesthetics and weather.

post-238-0-14619100-1439826914_thumb.jpg

post-238-0-15294800-1439826924_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dave Batzdorf