Light-O-Rama Forums

Newbie Newbie And Newbie

fsdusawrestling

Good Morning,...

This year I wanted to WOW the Neighborhood I purchased a cmd24d....and flood lights....I do realize that each light is controlled by one plug,,,,which gives 16 left..however I was debating on getting taking pumpkins and their I got lost,,,so if their anyone that I can call or call a help desk let me know......and yes im a newbie

Thanks

Ritch

734-564-7876

First I am having trouble with your math. 24 channel controller. I presume your floods are RGB which needs 3 channels each. So I am a bit lost about the 16 left statement. Unless your floods are just a single color each and you got 8 floods.

What are you wanting to do with the pumpkins? single lamp in each or some form of RGB? Oh, OK, is that supposed to be Talking Pumpkins? People usually get rope lights which most of the time are 110VAC. So for that you would need one of the 16 channel A.C. controllers and then multiply the number of pumpkin faces times the number of elements per pumpkin. Thats how many channels divided by 16 to get how many controllers you will need.

Depending on the look/feel you want, you can combine 2 or more

rgb floods onto a single rgb channel cluster (3 chanels on dmb24d).

I'm combining 5 and 3 floods onto single channels. This freed up channels for other elements.

I am very new to this ...so this is what im buying ....one 16 channel controller with a cmd24d............I please keep in mind im understand some but not all by far..........I have 8rgb flood lights 3 channel per =24....16 channels left....to use for arches 4  channels per or so they make a two channel per..........I was trying to keep the cost down however would it be more wiser for me to buy a 32 channel from the get or for the best value which is the more wiser for the dollar...

?

I think your saying you have 16channels left because you have a CTB16PC as well as the CMB24D, but you could also be confused, thinking each flood takes up one channel, so they would use 8.

I'm pretty sure you mean the first one, because you spoke of using it for a leaping arch, which are normally 110v.

fsdusawrestler,

I would like you to go back and re-read both of your post. Does it make sense to you? If not, how are we to help you if we both cant read your post. Please slow down and realize you have the same problem I have had all of my life too. Our thoughts kind of get all jumbled up and when we put it on paper it is no longer clear as to what we were trying to get across.

In your first post you only mention how you were getting that CMD24D controller. No were did you mention a 16 Ch controller also. A 2 channel arch, what are you going to do with that? 4 ch is the minimum I would think. Now you can bounce the light back and forth. Many will use 7 channels. If you can afford it go with 32 channels along with the 24D controller. Only going to have 8 floods on it anyway. Though true you can do a lot with 8 RGB floods. But to me Floods are mood setting, a back ground device. Now others might have different opinions.

But to me Floods are mood setting, a back ground device. Now others might have different opinions.

That is true. Although you can do some nice chases and changes and there are some guys with flood only displays that look amazing.

Thank you all your help I will try to explain what im getting in more details

I have a yard that's 48 x 30 very small....however we decided we wanted to WOW the Neighborhood....so I purchased a 16 channel LOR...and Bought some talking pumpkins/tombstones/ghosts that takes up 16 channels.....then I looked into buying a cmd24d to some floods or strobes ..Then I figure I would just buy another LOR so  we can do chases with them...this I where I get confused in putting this all together and making it all work or should I forget about the cmd24 and buy something else so many different things/ideas......We are into Halloween and Christmas displays. However I've never done anything like this before....so many questions, so many question....lost in the moment...thanks again for understanding..

I don"t think anybody can tell how to setup your display it's yours just do what you think and after a few years you'll know what works for you.

I did a yard lay out this morning. I figure to use (3) 16 channel LOR ...(1) for singing pumkins  (2) arches (3) house. So I'm good on that now comes the hard part. Arches which is more easier CCR or LED. Which will aloud me to go from one holiday to another without much trouble......

Well the ccr's come with their own controller and can give you unlimited colors and effects the way to go if you can afford them

If you haven't bought already and budget is the issue as well as hooking them up, I would start this year with just the two 16 ch controllers and leave the RGB Floods until next year when you have a little more experience under your belt. you will have enough issues with doing your sequencing this year as you have added the difficulty of singing mouths as well. 

If you already have bought the 16 ch controller and the RGB Floods with the CMD24, and you can afford it, then get the extra 16 ch controller.

4 channels for arches? if your thinking about Halloween then why not do spinning webs with those four channels, bit more interesting display i think.

I use CCRs for my arches because for me it was a bigger bang for the buck.
For the cost of one controller (on sale the cost was close to the same) I get lights and can do a bazillion colours (I use only 4 most of the time)
here is a youtube video :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4APxuxSM6SY

There is another option for your arches. Instead of Lor's ccrs, you could go with Lor's CCP controllers. Even a bigger bang for your buck because one CCP controller can make two or 4 arches. Two arches would consist on 50 pixels per arch, or 25 pixels per arch for four arches. The summer sale (I am guessing) may happen later this month or early next month.  Or you buy San Devises & smart pixels & you can go that route.

Something to think about. 

Agreed with the CCPs. Not just for price, but they diffuse great inside of White Pex Pipe.

• 5 weeks later...

Is there any way to just let the lights play to the beat of the music. I did sequences last christmas which was great. But this year for halloween i have so much going on in different places, that i think it would be easier to just let them blink randomly and play to the beat of the music. Is this even possible?

Is there any way to just let the lights play to the beat of the music. I did sequences last christmas which was great. But this year for halloween i have so much going on in different places, that i think it would be easier to just let them blink randomly and play to the beat of the music. Is this even possible?

LOR does not have the ability to do what you are wanting. If you want the LOR hardware to do something, it has to be programmed to do so.