Light-O-Rama Forums

Computer Requirements...

Gork68

I am wondering what kind of horse power it takes you guys to run a large display? I ask because I thought I would use a new netbook I have lying around that is 1.6 ghz proc and 2 gig ram but it is not enough for my display... It runs the show fine with just LOR channels and 2 DMX universes but once a 3rd universe is added it starts to studder and hiccup. I tried to run all 20 universes I have but it hangs for a fraction of a second on 2 second intervals. It is a problem with the computer running the show because I have a massive gaming rig I built and I ran the show from it with no problem at all... I obviously don't want to use that as my show computer so I am going to build one for the show. so if you are running LOR channels and 20 universes of DMX e1.31 what would 'minimum' requirements be on a show computer?

My show runs on a Pentium 3 with 2 gigs of ram 2.2 GHZ. just a cheap basic computer I built for under 100 bucks. been using it for 2 years now with no problems. it runs 4 residential 16 channels controllers and 2 CCRs on one network and 4 CCPs and one CMB 24 on a second network. I used a netbook my first 2 years and it worked fine but I was only running the one network  with 2 16 channel controllers and 2 CCRs. 

Edited by Box on Rails

I don't know what I need to be able to pump everything I have... I have thousands of pixels over 20 universes and the netbook has trouble at 3 universes. the nice thing is it became an issue at a great time! with all the deals going on this weekend I order an intel i7 4970k 16 gigs ram an ssd and everything else to make a very nice show computer for only $600!!! This way I know my show computer will be able to keep up for a few years as I continue to add... ;)