Light-O-Rama Forums

Ultimate Mega Tree

thebaronn

Hello!

I finally purchased a new camera and posted some pictures.

http://www.facebook....71009213&type=3

I could only upload 70k on here so I used my facebook page.

Everyone comments about our huge pixel screen this year, but my first love was and still is this tree!! 2 years ago I had my mega tree in the same place. Last year we built the pumpkin mountain from graveyard scene in The Haunted Mansion Holiday ride at Disneyland. After that was such a big hit, I decided a plain old mega tree wouldn't do and I wasn't on the RGB pixel bandwagon....yet. During last Christmas, me an the kids were drawing Christmas trees and I drew a standard tree (3 triangle son top of each other) and my son said what's that? That's not a tree! At that point I found my mega tree for 2012.

This is my Ultimate Mega Tree! (My old mega tree hit the ultimatrix and evolved into this!) It uses a PVC Skeleton (I re-used the skeleton from last year's pumpkin mountain) that is covered by Coroplast. The tree has 3 sections, top, middle and bottom. Each section was hot glued together and then was rested on the PVC skeleton and when I was happy with the placement of each section, it was zip tied into place. After the tree was assembled, I painted it it Flourescent Green. It looks beautiful and as you can see in the photos, It actually resisted fading pretty well. Once the tree was painted, I placed 32 ornaments on the tree. I looked at them from different angles to do my best to ensure that it looked random, yet evenly spaced. Now, where did I possibly get these ornaments? It's a good story and I know you want to read about it.... If you look closely you may recognize them, they are the back halves of Jack-O-Lantern Pumpkin pails!!! Originally I was looking for blow molds, But the price, and the fact that the BlowMold community may not be happy with me cutting blowmolds in half, changed my mind for me and I decided to go this way. Another reason I really like these pumpkins is because they reflect the flourescent lights well at night and allow the color of the CCPixel to shine though with minimal orange tint.

Each of the pumpkins has 1 CCPixel bulb lighting them up(I actually found a use for them!). No hot glue or anything, just drill a hole and press the pixel 1/2 way through, works well.

The Garland, so to speak is actually strings of pixel spheres from Ray Wu. Each sphere has 3 WS2811 pixels inside and is individually addressable. One DMX universe covers all three strands.

The tree is 23 feet tall (I think) and light enough that I can carry it all by my lonesome. Which is important when you are the only sane person up at 3am working on Christmas Lights.

The tree star is is from target.

Not much else I can think of right now. It is actually quite boring when you break it down. But I love this tree and I think I will try building a 3-D version next year. And if LOR or LSP gets their software together regarding pixels, I can see it covered in pixels next year also.

If you have any more questions, let me know.

Happy New Year!

post-953-0-55121500-1357694987_thumb.jpg

Hello!

Everyone comments about our huge pixel screen this year, but my first love was and still is this tree!! 2 years ago I had my mega tree in the same place. Last year we built the pumpkin mountain from graveyard scene in The Haunted Mansion Holiday ride at Disneyland. After that was such a big hit, I decided a plain old mega tree wouldn't do and I wasn't on the RGB pixel bandwagon....yet. During last Christmas, me an the kids were drawing Christmas trees and I drew a standard tree (3 triangle son top of each other) and my son said what's that? That's not a tree! At that point I found my mega tree for 2012.

This is my Ultimate Mega Tree! (My old mega tree hit the ultimatrix and evolved into this!) It uses a PVC Skeleton (I re-used the skeleton from last year's pumpkin mountain) that is covered by Coroplast. The tree has 3 sections, top, middle and bottom. Each section was hot glued together and then was rested on the PVC skeleton and when I was happy with the placement of each section, it was zip tied into place. After the tree was assembled, I painted it it Flourescent Green. It looks beautiful and as you can see in the photos, It actually resisted fading pretty well. Once the tree was painted, I placed 32 ornaments on the tree. I looked at them from different angles to do my best to ensure that it looked random, yet evenly spaced. Now, where did I possibly get these ornaments? It's a good story and I know you want to read about it.... If you look closely you may recognize them, they are the back halves of Jack-O-Lantern Pumpkin pails!!! Originally I was looking for blow molds, But the price, and the fact that the BlowMold community may not be happy with me cutting blowmolds in half, changed my mind for me and I decided to go this way. Another reason I really like these pumpkins is because they reflect the flourescent lights well at night and allow the color of the CCPixel to shine though with minimal orange tint.

Each of the pumpkins has 1 CCPixel bulb lighting them up(I actually found a use for them!). No hot glue or anything, just drill a hole and press the pixel 1/2 way through, works well.

The Garland, so to speak is actually strings of pixel spheres from Ray Wu. Each sphere has 3 WS2811 pixels inside and is individually addressable. One DMX universe covers all three strands.

The tree is 23 feet tall (I think) and light enough that I can carry it all by my lonesome. Which is important when you are the only sane person up at 3am working on Christmas Lights.

Not much else I can think of right now. It is actually quite boring when you break it down. But I love this tree and I think I will try building a 3-D version next year. And if LOR or LSP gets their software together regarding pixels, I can see it covered in pixels next year also.

Happy New Year!

Are you thinking 3-D as in essentially three pyramids stacked or more of a rounded shape?

Hello!

Happy New Year!

I loved the train and sound. You did an outstanding job with your display. i would love to do the matrix board and duplicate your feat someday. Just for kicks how long does it take to sequence that train?

John

I loved the train and sound. You did an outstanding job with your display. i would love to do the matrix board and duplicate your feat someday. Just for kicks how long does it take to sequence that train?

John

I honestly have no clue. I did it at work a little at a time. But I can tell you that I hated every second of it.......

Just a thought but, since I saw holdman's ice trees, I've been trying to figure a way to do something like that on a like 15' tree size.

Kind of goes along with the 3D tree idea your thinking about.

• The topic was locked