Light-O-Rama Forums

How to Attaching faces to the side of home?

Jay Czerwinski

I used to have an entirely indoor show and am converting my displays to outdoor. My faces are now on PVC frames but I am struggling with ideas on how to mount them to the side of my home. It is a condo/ townhome with a homeowner association, so I am eager to have a system that has minimal impact to the building, and nearly invisible hardware during off season.

I have wood eaves, with half of the walls fully stucco and the other half fully wood.

Any suggestions appreciated, I am finding I am wasting a lot of time contemplating what to do in my mind, and not just installing something to move forward.

Thank you in advance.

Before you move it outdoors better get in touch with the HOA and discover their concerns(if you haven't already done so) Many tales of woe on these forums re:HOA's!

Most HOA's consider the outside of a building "theirs" and the insides "yours". Guessing what your building and your decorations look like makes this difficult to answer but maybe hooks under the eaves would work. Hang the faces from the hooks with suspension wires or prop the faces from the bottom with PVC pipes and use the suspension wires to stabilize it all. After getting the blessings of HOA take one face outside and hang it. I found it always great to think about something before acting on it but sometimes figuring it out as you go works even better.

Please keep us posted on what works!

Good Luck!

Thanks for the feedback so far. My HOA seems to be pretty open to displays as they have published home decorating awards/competition. in fact, my fist week after moving in, my neighbors came over to warn me of how much they like to celebrate and decorate for Halloween! I was jumping up and down with joy inside, but kept my cool and said "I think I can do something to contribute!"

So my largest face is 8 feet wide by 8 feet tall. I want to hang it from the eaves as suggested but I am concerned they might flap in the wind. And the 8x8 face is on a tower portion of my home where the eaves are at about 40' up! The top of the face would be at about the 30' level.

The three other faces will go under 20' eaves which I feel more comfortable at that height. But my concerns are still with them flopping in the wind if hanging.

The ground is a last resort as I am paranoid about my first outdoor setup and theft/vandalism potential freaks me out. So I'm trying to design out-of-reach displays.

I didn't have any wind problem as it doesn't get really windy at my house. But if your face frames are PVC with wire mesh and a bit heavy from the rope light....I'm thinking the wind will blow right through. If your using coro or plywood, then you may have an issue if you just hang them.

Yeah know, providing pictures of your eves so that we know exactly what you’re trying to attach to would save everybody a lot of guessing as to what might work for you.

Also, what are these frames that you want to hang made out of and what is the total weight of each one?

Filling us in on all of the details will limit the useless ideas and give you a solution a lot quicker.

Yeah know, providing pictures of your eves so that we know exactly what you’re trying to attach to would save everybody a lot of guessing as to what might work for you.

Also, what are these frames that you want to hang made out of and what is the total weight of each one?

Filling us in on all of the details will limit the useless ideas and give you a solution a lot quicker.

Since my disply is still being built - I am not locked in to any particular design yet - - so my question is really "What do YOU do?" I'm not only looking for a solution for me, I am sure even ideas that are posted here that may not work for me, may in fact be helpful to others. Sorry if I put anyone in a positon of feeling like guessing instead of sharing.

I did state the frames are PVC pipe, but I could have mentioned 3/4" with 2"x3" cattle wire grid. I did state my largest one is 8'x8', but the smaller ones are closer to 4'x4'. I don't really have an easy way to weigh the largest one, but I am sure people who have mounted faces kinda know they are a bit on the heavy side - maybe 20-30lbs.

Per your suggestion - here is a pic of the side of the house. Thank you again for any ideas you can share!

post-6247-0-12695600-1348607781_thumb.jp

Edited by Jay Czerwinski

And here is an estimate of what I hope to acheive....

That would be very cool looking IF you can get them up there. The bigest one would be my big worry. I built my frames out of 3/4" EMT pipe and the same wire mesh, probably weigh about the same as yours. mine are 7'x7' & 5'x5'. It's not so much the weight but they are bulky to handle. I don't see how you'll hang them without putting holes in the siding. If you can position them with one bottom corner of the frame near a window, you could run a small wire or rope inside to keep them from moving in the wind. If you opt to making ground mounts send me a PM I'll send you some pics. 25 days till show time, good luck.

Jerry

Jay - My face which is approximately 6x6 hangs above my garage door and essentially I took 2 eye bolts threaded to go into wood and screwed them into the underside of my overhang from the roof. Then I put an eye bolt all the way through the top piece of the pvc frame on each corner and tightened up with a nut. I took a piece of chain connected to the eye bolt on the frame and used a carabineer to connect it to the eye bolt in the underside of the roof. It took a little trial and error to get the chain the right length but it worked well last year and hopefully should go up pretty quick again this year. Sorry i don't have any pictures but hopefully this helps.

post-6497-0-09720200-1348770366_thumb.jp

post-6497-0-05682300-1348770381_thumb.jp

Well looking at your house, it doesn’t look like my solution will work for you but maybe it will work for someone else.

This is how I do it and I’ve been using these for several years now. I use thousands of these little PVC clips. They are very strong and simple to use and fairly universal.

pvcclip.jpg

These are holding my icicles, which are wire ties to 1/2" OCD PVC pipe..

1004277s.jpg

Everything here is held in place by those PVC clips.

1005614s.jpg

PVC shutter frames.

1005623s.jpg

Even some of the wiring.

1002304s.jpg

Attatched is the PDF of how I did these.

PVC Clips.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the great ideas! Earnie, I still may use that method on some CCRs coming next!

KMB, I used that techniqque for hanging the frames with suspended ceiling wire.

Here is an update to the work in progress. I have the faces mounted now, only hanging from the top. Cracker was right - today was a windy day and they did not move hardly at all.

The 8'x8' Skull head ended up needing a pulley system that worked out great. I secured one side behind the roof line and it goes over a pulley down to the frame. On the frame it crosses through another pulley on one side and goes over to a pulley on the other side, which in turns returns to the pully on the roof and back to the area behind the roof where I pull and fix the cable at the right height. The beauty of this system is that through physics, I am only lifting half of the weight of the total frame and it is self leveling with the two pulleys on the frame!

Edited by Jay Czerwinski

I ran in to some type of problem uploading pics to this forum. So I just make a flickr account and hopefully these links work.

http://www.flickr.co.../in/photostream

Edited by Jay Czerwinski

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all of your support and advice!

My final work and first video of the season for my new 5 month old home is here: