Light-O-Rama Forums

Using a different computer

RaceMedic

I will try and keep this from being long winded ....

A couple of months ago I downloaded the demo version of the software and began sequencing a few songs. I then downloaded the demo to my laptop so I can work on them on the go.

I found out now that if I started a sequence on my desktop I can't copy and past sections of the sequence to use further in the song. It says "Data from an encrypted sequence cannot be copied except on the sequence's originating computer."

I thought this was because of it being the demo version so this evening I bought the basic with plans on upgrading during the summer sale.

It still will not let me copy and paste ?!

Do I need to enter the key into the desktop version first and then resave the sequence for me to work on it on the laptop ?!

Thank-you for your time !

Dave

• 3 months later...

I created a sequence on my main computer, copied it and did some work on my laptop which has demo only then copied it back to the main computer and replaced the old sequence with the updated one. Now i cant copy or cut on my main computer?

The bottom line as far as I understand with the demo. Whatever computer you create a sequence on in the demo version is encrypted. You then have to license that computer and open the sequence to de-crypt the sequence.

If you take an un-encrypted sequence and open it on a machine with demo. When you save the sequence is encrypted. To get it decrypted you have to license the second computer that contained demo so the sequence can be de-crypted.

Chuck

mattera68 wrote:

I created a sequence on my main computer, copied it and did some work on my laptop which has demo only then copied it back to the main computer and replaced the old sequence with the updated one. Now i cant copy or cut on my main computer?

I presume that your desktop has a licensed version of S2 on it. And you stated that your laptop does not, it has a demo version loaded only.

Now if you go back and read what Jeff said, you would understand your problem. DEMO can not save a copy of your sequence that can be read by or in this case altered. If I remember correctly LOR has been kind enough to allow you to put this Lic. on up to 5 machines that you own. So, if they did not change this feature, just install the license on your laptop too. This should take care of the issue you are having.

Is it 5 machines? I already have it on 2, my main computer and an old one that I run my show on.

Guest wbottomley

mattera68 wrote:

Is it 5 machines? I already have it on 2, my main computer and an old one that I run my show on.

Then, you'll have three left.

..it isnt really 5 machines, it's 5 installations.. I ran into this trouble when I had to reformat my main machine due to a nasty malware load (thanks to my kids) which wrecked my Win7 OS.. As I had XP, then Vista, then 7Beta, then 7Retail on that computer and a couple laptops for sequencing (yes, still less than 5 separate computers), the Win7 reinstall put me over the 5 actual installations, but a phone call to Dan extended the # of seats..

TJ still five machines. See if it was installations then after your 5th installation they would have cut you off. But because you explained that you had to format you drive and reinstall your windows OS on the SAME MACHINE. They reset their system and you where allowed to download the software again. And I bet if you ever have to retire one of your machines. Again a friendly call and request for assistance will get your another download. As someone else said. They only want you to have it on 5 of your personally owned machines, no more and no friends machine.

So look at it anyway you want. I was not wrong when I said 5 machines.

Thanks for your help.

I'm so glad that Dan & Co are so understanding. I've got LOR on my home computer, show computer and a laptop that I use for debugging the show and for sequencing while away from home. Due to Malware, I've had to rebuild my home computer once, and due to a spike on my show computer yesterday, had to do the same to it. That, theorically should put me at 5 installs, but not too worried about it with Dan. All three are sitting in one room at home right now..