Light-O-Rama Forums

cat 5

Donny M. Carter

whats the difference between booted and bootless cat5 cable? don't tell me one has a cover over the connector. thanks for the help.

The boot will protect the retaining clip from breaking off as you pull the CAT5 back through holes or other obstacles. But, the boot can make it difficult to compress the clip when you want to remove the plug from the socket.

I can't speak for the PC controllers. But it can be fairly difficult to release the clip from the Showtime controllers if the boot is there (especially in colder temps). I usually buy booted cables and trim about half the boot off. That way I get some protection and it's not too bad disconnecting them.

Especially in cold weather, the boots really restrict the ability to compress the tab, and yes, they cause problems on the CTB16PC controllers as well.

On the cables that come with slide over boots, I slide them back before plugging them in.. They they are still there to protect the tabs when puling them out of the enclosure, or storing the cables. On the ones with molded in strain relief with boots, I use a flush cutter to cut off the snagless part...

When I build new cable ends, I tend to use the overpriced panduit connectors that have a strain relief as part of the assembly, and an extra long tab that curves back down, into the strain relief. The result is virtually snagless, without any extra difficulty to remove them.

any ideas on where i can get some of the boots with the curl down built in. i looked around online, and just like everything else. there is a million places to look. thanks for the help.

Here are the connectors I currently use:

http://www.panduit.com/Products/ProductOverviews/ProductSearch/index.htm?Ne=1&lastNodeId=ss_prod_coppersolutions&sid=1271B31D3C17&N=5000001%201872+3001960&recName=SP688-C

This other version exists. It does not have the strain relief, and assembles more like a normal cat 5 end.

http://www.panduit.com/Products/ProductOverviews/ProductSearch/index.htm?Ne=1&lastNodeId=ss_prod_coppersolutions&sid=1271B35EE283&N=5000001%201873+3000227&recName=MP588-L

The first one, (which I use) has more parts, and takes some getting used to, but I really like the resulting cable ends. Patch cables with those ends, and cat5e cable would more often than not test to cat 6 patch cable standards. But last time I priced them out, they were $125 for a box of 100..