Light-O-Rama Forums

Sequencing Software for Grid of CCRs

BrianBruderer

I bought 12 Cosmic Color Ribbons to be rays coming down from a star. CCRs have tremendous potential when using the full 50 pixels per ribbon but I soon found that sequencing them the standard way was difficult. I was not able to get anything ready in time for last Christmas, but I am determined to get this working well before 2010 Christmas.

Being a programmer by profession I started developing sequencing software designed just for a grid of CCRs. There are some very good sequence editors out there but I am not aware of one made just for a grid of CCRs.

My design principle is to never directly edit the standard .lms file. Instead, I have a meta file which is the source file for the effects. The effects can be exported as an .lms file and then they are playable by the standard Light-O-Rama sequence editor.

You can see 2 videos which are examples of what I have done so far by going to youtube and searching for Cosmic Color Ribbon. Or you can use the links below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDhMO2KcLcw

Does anyone know if there is already software to do something similar to what I am doing?

-Brian Bruderer

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BrianBruderer

• LightORamaJohn

• Dad02

• huskernut

Brian -- Excellent work !!! -- We all need an easier way to program CCRs as last Christmas was pretty hard and defaulted to Macro Mode for me. Where can I find info on the other sequence editors out there? I never enjoy having to recreate everything every year when I add new channels .. something to make editing easier is always nice.

Keep up the great work.

Ok the text thing is stunning!! Great job on that.

As melwelch said, LSP has a matrix animator that is difficult to use. Frankly I think LSP has a long way to go before its up to S2's speed. I really hope with the addition of the RGB picker LOR also implements some sort of matrix animator as well.

Ponddude wrote:

As melwelch said, LSP has a matrix animator that is difficult to use. Frankly I think LSP has a long way to go before its up to S2's speed. I really hope with the addition of the RGB picker LOR also implements some sort of matrix animator as well...

For 2 - 3 years I have had plans for a matrix tool in LOR. I believe that people will be happy with software enhancements this year!:P

I was very impressed with this use of the CCR! Looks really cool... I really like how the lights shot up and lit the star.

Dan

LightORamaDan wrote:

For 2 - 3 years I have had plans for a matrix tool in LOR. I believe that people will be happy with software enhancements this year!:P

Uh oh, looks like I'm going to have to save up money for CCRs this year!

LightORamaDan wrote:

Ponddude wrote:

As melwelch said, LSP has a matrix animator that is difficult to use. Frankly I think LSP has a long way to go before its up to S2's speed. I really hope with the addition of the RGB picker LOR also implements some sort of matrix animator as well...

Dan

I know the RGB software will blow us away... So please understand I am an LOR devoted fan... If I did not firmly believe you were the best in the world at what you do , I would have never purchased your products... The thing about the software is you will never be able to keep up... For example... Just wait and see the effects that will be done with the CCR... It will be a new and refreshing way to think about our displays.... Right now finding out what shapes people make with the CCR is great... An Arch was a natural.... The passing around of sequenced images is next... So instead of the focus on a musical being the timing, The sequencing of video is coming... That is what I PMed you a while back about.

Thanks for the link to the light show pro matrix editor tutorial. I had heard they had a matrix editor but had not seen it yet. It is similar to what I am doing but they focus on animation whereas I focus on other effects.

Light Show Pro is a very good product. They obviously have a team of good programmers.

My goal is to come up with a niche product that is usable for other people also that have a grid of CCRs.

-Brian Bruderer

melwelch wrote:

LightShow Pro does it...

http://www.lightshowpro.com/index.php?categoryid=16&p2_articleid=27

Excellant job on the CCR

If LOR is going to add this type of functionality, then I can stop my tedious task of trying to write my own program to insert matrix code into the XML.

DAN??? can you help me here???

Nice Effects on the CCR!

Being a program my self and being mostly a mac user I have been tossing around the idea of a open source sequencer for use with LOR. Wile S2 works great over all, I can't help but think that an open source program in such a talented community will have to lead to innovations.

Hmmm, open source sequencing software, thats something to think about. Right now though, I'm focusing on ironing out the last wrinkles in my CCR editor. I plan to have a downloadable demo version by next Saturday night.

csf wrote:

Nice Effects on the CCR!

Being a program my self and being mostly a mac user I have been tossing around the idea of a open source sequencer for use with LOR. Wile S2 works great over all, I can't help but think that an open source program in such a talented community will have to lead to innovations.

there are a LOT or RGB products coming down the pipe.. 2010 will be an unprecedented year in that arena... last year brought a few products from various vendors that proved to be good products but at times cumbersome to sequence with...

so now dan and LSP and others are working on the software end of it to harness the power of these few products....

the products here and that are coming are going to be from Novice to advanced as far as skill level to use them...

im sure any of you on planetchristmas have seen the curtain matrix product by miniboyink. that device in its first phases will be plug and play out of the box with preset patterns inside of it that can be called up by DMX.. and later there will be software to make your own patterns.. but that product will be easy for the relatively non-techie to take it out of the box set it up and have great display effects right off...

the CCR is very versatile... all we saw were arches last year.. i think because the demos were arches and people werent exactly sure what to do with it.. and of course all eyes were on those that bought them to see how they held up... and i have heard of very few failures so the device is now proven and many people are jumping on the bandwagon... the CCR is easily able to outline buildings, be made into the superstar effect.. they could theoretically even be made into a Mega tree.. I bought one right after christmas and its done everything from be an arch to be bent around into a small test grid to now it is on a wreath and looks GREAT in a wreath!.. and when I order some more during the sale at least one will have a permanent home inside the house with a pre-programmed standalone sequence to do slow color fades on top of my kitchen cabinets as art-ful accent lighting....

of course Galaxia came out with their RGB product in 2009, which is pricey in small systems but not so bad for larger systems... it is also very versatile and pretty easy to get up and going on.. a little tough to integrate with LOR but recently they asked me about DMX so my thought is that they are exploring DMX integration...

another new product this year that has real promise comes from new zealand and is called the "response-box" color changing christmas light project... that system uses a network of controllers.. some of which will be open-source.. it is fully waterproof and is controllable by DMX so integration into an existing LOR network is pretty seamless...

another whole direction this can be taken is this too:.. the LOR controllers are DMX compatible meaning that they can be DMX heads on a fully DMX network... software such as ".matrix'(dotmatrix)(opensource) and "Madrix"(pricey) will take video and convert it into DMX.. some of that software is expensive but it would allow existing LOR equipment to make the jump into true professional lighting schemes...

plus there are grassroots projects going too like this new CCR software and such.. we are going to see a lot of new things this year as we drive around looking at displays come christmas-time.. I know mine will virtually be unrecognizable from previous years with all the technology im adding!..
-Christopher

I now have a demo version of the SuperStar Sequence editor. It will soon be available on my website at www.superstarlights.com but until then you can email me at superstarlights1@aol.com and I can email it to you. It is a self extracting zip file that contains the program, a tutorial, and some sample files. Hoping to get some feedback on what people like and what could be improved.

-Brian Bruderer

LOVE the video!

I was watching the SuperBowl halftime show (The Who) with my wife...I said "That stage is AWESOME". I wish I had that technology.

Perhaps I do already! (OK - I have _one_ CCR, so I'd just need to buy about 1000 more....)

if you want a 32 "leg" wheel wit ha 20 foot diameter you could easily cross ribbons. 16 of them to do it...

if you want a 10 foot diameter "wheel". you could cut 8 ribbons in half and cross the halves...

not cheap but certainly possible....

and with softweare like the superstar software it makes the thought of it a lot easier to sequence it....

obviously the problem with cutting ribbons is that you pretty much make them use for that purpose only.. so that 2 years down the road when the layout is old-school and you want to reconfigure, its tougher to do

-Christopher