Light-O-Rama Forums

Dielectric Grease and GFCI

jcwarren

I was just curious to see if anyone has tried using dielectric grease in there cord connections. When I was an auto technician we used it a lot in automotive connections. It helped a lot to prevent corrosion problems. I would suspect that it would keep the water and debris out of the connections and therefore have less GFCI concerns. Knock on wood I did not have any problems this year. (Well except for when someone ripped my lights off the fence and the wires shorted to ground).

I do well enough with just the cord ends elevated, that I have not felt the need to add anything. My concern about a grease is that it would tend to capture dust and dirt during tear down, that would be one more thing to clean up during tear down or set up. I tend to think that WD-40 might do a better job of mostly drying up, and not attracting particulate, while still providing some hydrophobic behavior...

I do use the grease in some c7 and c9 sockets and for my 220v power connections as they are outside all the time. The connector is protected from the weather by the humidity still tends to tarnish the brass and copper connections. I don use the grease on the smaller cords. I agree that it could collect grit.

I use dielectric grease on all of my feeder connections (power to the controllers). I haven't had a problem sense but I have no GFI's on that portion of the display. My problems were always corrosion related.