Light-O-Rama Forums

Can't get enough.......S...P...T!

Guest guest

Wow, I ordered 2,000 ft of SPT2 at PLUS from Action Lighting and thought that it would cover my needs. Not so! I used around 1,000 just doing my three mega trees yesterday! Now I will have to use some extension cords (yuck) to finish up my display this week. The only reaosn I post this was someone posted on the other board that they couldn't even fathom using 500 foot of SPT! This year's display includes roughly 3,000 foot of it so far!

Jeff,
I'm just trying to get an idea of my needs for next year when I ask this question. What do you use the SPT2 for? Do you run it from the controllers to each strand you want to control? Basically instead of using extension cords you run everything with SPT2 directly to the controllers.

Scott...

Scott,

Basically I now use SPT for everything I can. Custom cuts are the best! Anyway, lets take my mega trees (3) for instance. There are 48 LOR channels controling them. Each channel needs a separate cord made to go to the lights that the particular channel is controlling. My mega tree setup used over 1,000 ft of SPT2 to get them dancing! 24 strands at about 12 foot each. Plus 24 strands at about 30 foot each.

Jeff -

It looks like SPT is the best route to go - most flexibility and cheapest(?). Could you give a quick SPT summary? For example, what's the difference between SPT1 and SPT2? If I buy the cord, then obviously, I need to buy the male and female ends, but are they pretty easy to make? Any pitfalls, good practices, special tools to be aware of? Are you doing this just for your extension cords or for C9s as well?

Trying to get a jump on next year...
- Steve

I have used a lot of SPT 1 and 2 and have no complaints. Just did my next years 32 channels using Pin connectors that Bryce talked about at Mini Plus Fast, Easy, Fairly inexspensive. Did it to fast now I need 32 more channels for next year. Got mine from Action2k eletronics. If you explore this, make sure not to get the Mini pins and also get the crimping tool. Lots of wire in a 3/4in garden hose. I did call the place and they were good with helping me out.

glenn

deweycooter wrote:

Jeff -

It looks like SPT is the best route to go - most flexibility and cheapest(?). Could you give a quick SPT summary? For example, what's the difference between SPT1 and SPT2? If I buy the cord, then obviously, I need to buy the male and female ends, but are they pretty easy to make? Any pitfalls, good practices, special tools to be aware of? Are you doing this just for your extension cords or for C9s as well?

Trying to get a jump on next year...
- Steve

The difference in SPT 1 and 2 (Tim, I know you will correct me if I am wrong!) is the thickness of the insulation. SPT 1 18 AWG is good for 7 amps. SPT 2 18 AWG is good for 10 amps. Some people want to go as small and light as possible fso they go for the SPT 1, I prefer somewhere in between SPT 1 and a regular extension cord. YOu can do a lot with 10 amps! Usually myself and many other SPT users try to keep below it's max, somewhere around 7 amps for SPT 2.

As far as the plugs, no one can beat Action Lighting's prices. They are so easy even an Auburn Tiger can make them! Seriously, there are no tools needs other than a pair of snips to cut the wire. Once the wire is cut you basically lay the wire into the plug and slide a cover over the wire. The cover pushes down on the wire and into the two vampire teeth, making contact.

I do this for all my cords. I don't use C series bulbs though.

Hope that helps!