Light-O-Rama Forums

looking for the cheapest extension cords!!!

Guest guest

well with christmas only 4 months away, i still have about 40 extension cords to purchase, i cleaned out the sale at the ace hardware near me. 25 - 40' cords for $4.95 each. anyone else know where to get cords real cheap?

I did wal mart last year for the 4.88 but they went up to 6.88 here this year. I got home depot for 5.99 with 10%off and they are 10Ft longer than wal mart. Worth the extra dollar from last year because there are some places that the extra was needed and filled with two 6 fter's. Jordan

p.s. My store has atlest 52 because i just returned half of what i bought:shock: Im putting some of my LOR boxes out in the cold.

I don't know about everywhere else, but around here, Menards is usually a dollar or two cheaper per cord than anyone else. For about the next week, they are offering 17% off anything you can fit into one of their paper bags that they have in the front of the store. I was just there this afternoon and bought eight rolls of extension cord ranging from 25 to 100 feet and saved about $20.

• 2 months later...

Time to resurrect this topic. I'm looking for 6' cords.

Yesterday I cleaned out Big Lots (5 cords was all they had) which were $.88 each.

Last year Target had some good multi-paks ... stopped there and although they have both Halloween and Christmas out I didn't notice cords.

Wal-Mart was about $1.20 each

Lowe's was about $1.30 each.

Anyone have other sources ... with all the LOR controllers sold this year there's going to be lots of people needing cords!

Get 'em early and get lots!

shawn wrote:

I make my own. Buy a spool of lamp cord and cut as you need it.

I Agree, Then you aren't left with a cord that is way too long, and have to wind it in a circle somewere and tie wrap it.

I believe this ends up being cheaper in the long run.

shawn wrote:

I don't have tons of money. But isn't $1.50 cheap?

For one cable, sure, that is cheap enough. If you need to buy 50 cables, saving 33% or $25 is worth some degree of effort to find a good price.

It sure doesn't help that the price of copper has sky rocketed in price this last year. Buying wire has doubled in price. The last time I went to buy some romex at Home Depot, I was stunned... in small quantity it was approaching $1/foot. Ouch!!! This also explains why extensions cords have risen in price over the last year.

If you want to roll your own, MECI still has lamp cord in 25' lengths for $1.29 (see http://www.meci.com/index.php/cPath/37_60) Then goto Action Lighting and buy some vampire plugs (http://www.actionlighting.com/Items.asp?Criteria=plug). Special hint: if you use SPT-1 wire, make sure you use SPT-1 vampire plugs. Same for SPT-2.

Making your own extension cords isn't always the cheapest way to go... but at least you're in control of how long they are.

drew10162003 wrote:

i've found 25' & 50' Cords at the doller store for around 2.50 for 25' and 4.50 for 50' so i thought it was a good deal

If they were at the Dollar Store shouldn't they be a Dollar?

P.S. I know somethings are more expensive there I just am making a comment. :D