Light-O-Rama Forums

My channel is on and will not go off

JimCanfield

I got up at 2:30 this morning to go to work and the lights on my garage were on!. The show is over so what do I need to do to fix this? For now I just unplugged the lights and am off to work.

If that does not clear up the problem. There is a good chance that the output Triac has failed in a shorted condiction. How many amps are you pulling through that Triac? Anyway, it appears that the triac will need to be replaced, if the above posted fix does not fix the problem. Depending on what controller you have, but I think most of them are limited to only 8 Amps per channel. You might need to reduce the number of lights or type of lights so you are only drawing 8 amps max. Better if you can get that below 7.5 if this is the case...

How do we find out if a triac is bad? If it is bad then I am screwed seeing how I do not know how to solder and would have to send the controller in and there goes my whole show:(

I'm having a similar problem.

Last night I had a fuse holder melt down in a spectacular smoking manner. (12.1A, right board).

After I bypassed the fuse (yes, I know) my channel 4 is stuck on. unplugging and re-plugging the boards with comm disconnected didn't fix it so I'm pretty sure the triac is blown. I'm good for now in that I have a spare channel. I didn't build this but I was wondering if LOR just sends out a replacement triac or if I have to send it all in after Christmas.

Max-Paul wrote:

I cant speak for LOR, but from what I have read. Sounds like they are very helpful. I would give them a call and explain what you need.

Helpful is right. I called them today and they're sending our a new fuse holder and a spare plus a triac and opticoupler. I'll install the fuse holder now and try to fix the triac next year after the last show.

I had two channels go out on the same controller this year, both stay on. The crazy thing is that this controller only has two strings of 50 LEDs per channel so it's definitely not overloaded. But based on past experience, it's probably bad Triacs. Fortunately, I have a couple spare controllers so I just swapped out the unit. Figure I will contact LOR for replacement Triacs after the holidays when things slow down at LOR. Had the same problem last year with another controller bought at the same time as this one. Maybe LOR got a batch of defective Triacs a year or so ago. Haven't had the problem with other units bought in previous years.

I must have gotten lucky or something. Ever since the channel stayed on and I then restarted my computer, which turned them off, they have not stuck on since. Must have been something left over on the computer. Thank you for all your help!