Light-O-Rama Forums

stand or.................

Guest guest

Here's 48 of 128 channels. Two more racks to build. One with two controllers and the last one with three controllers. I used pressure-treated 2x4's. It seems to work great.

Attached files 59962=3647-rack.JPG

jpcrew109 wrote:

Mountainwxman, what type of enclosures did you use? I really like that...can I have it?

I bought them on ebay. http://stores.ebay.com/Toomanyamps-Surplus-Electrical_Enclosures_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZ11QQftidZ2QQtZkm. Just go to their store and you'll see them. Only click on the one where you can submit a best offer. The offer I've been submitting is 15.00. Have three so far and five more to purchase.

Hopefull this helps and anyone can use this idea as much as you like. My way of saying "Merry Christmas" in August!

A couple more pictures will follow....

EDIT: added website

Attached files 60131=3666-closeup.JPG

DrNiceGuy wrote:

Mountainwxman,

How tight is the board in the enclosure? Was there enough room to work with?

Regards,

Doc

It's a little tight around the sides but in the front, there's plenty of room. Left & right side probably have 1/2' to 3/4" spacing between the heat sink and the box. Top 1/2" and bottom 3/4" to 1". The back 1/2" to 3/4" depending how you mount it, and front 3-5 inches. There's enough room to mount an MP3 show director in front of the controller.

Can anyone who has used these comment on water tightness. I know there were concerns about the ones from orbit. I kind of like the idea of being able to see the controller.

Scottsgrfx wrote:

Can anyone who has used these comment on water tightness. I know there were concerns about the ones from orbit. I kind of like the idea of being able to see the controller.

They're completely water tight until you punch holes in the bottom. As far as sheltering the controller boards, I let one sit outside for 3 weeks. Only thing I found were a couple of spider webs. Other than that... it's dry!

Scottsgrfx wrote:

I tried a $15 bid and was denied saying too cheap.:(

Scott, you might want to try again...or if you need more than one box, do it all in one offer. I offered to buy 4 boxes for $15. They accepted my offer & I just paid for all 4. I'll have one box left over however I'm feeling like I should grab a few more for future expansion....

mountainwxman wrote:

jpcrew109 wrote:
Mountainwxman, what type of enclosures did you use? I really like that...can I have it?

I bought them on ebay. http://stores.ebay.com/Toomanyamps-Surplus-Electrical_Enclosures_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZ11QQftidZ2QQtZkm. Just go to their store and you'll see them. Only click on the one where you can submit a best offer. The offer I've been submitting is 15.00. Have three so far and five more to purchase.

Hopefull this helps and anyone can use this idea as much as you like. My way of saying "Merry Christmas" in August!

What type/size of connector clamps did you use?

CUTTHEMUSIC wrote:

mountainwxman wrote:
jpcrew109 wrote:

What type/size of connector clamps did you use?

I had 2" connectors but 1 1/2" will work better. The advantage of using 2"... you can slip the cat 5 cable between the clamp and outer ring. Only bootless cables will work in that case.

Here's the dimensions of the controller rack: top 2 cross pieces are 36" long. I figure 12" per controller. They're cut 2x2's. They legs are 20" long and the feet are 24" long. They're 2x4's. The part not shown in the photo is a cord relief. I measure the distance from the outside of each foot. It should be a 42" cut 2x2.

Use pressure-treated wood screws and you should have it. In the boxes I used, the screw holes are 10-32, both inside and outside.

James Peachee wrote:

How long did it take to get the enclosures after you won them?

Thanks,

James

1 week to 10 days is probably about when I'll see mine. My offer was accepted on the 17th(Thursday) and they just sent me shipping notification & tracking information today, the 21st(Monday). The boxes are being shipped by UPS ground. They'll probably be here by about Friday wich would be 8 days from the date of purchase. Not bad at all.