Light-O-Rama Forums

Replacing show computer in panic mode

ItsMeBobO

Last night was a disaster. About 2pm I noticed my computer had no sound. Tried all kinds of programs and settings. All the wiring was good. Not a peep from any program. Panic! This pc has been going down hill for a while. Network adapter was no good. Had to use USB connection to cable modem. Hard drive burned up last spring and I had to reinstall everything and did a bad job. Must be a blown sound board since the pc is on its last leg.

Quick! Get the show on a new computer! I had purchased a cheap-o refurbished gateway to use as a show computer a few months ago but it was still in the box. My first time with Vista - arg! Could not connect to the internet. Try getting drivers for USB to Com device with out internet. Wade through drawers of installation disks. Oh no...can't register LOR software offline without help from LOR.

LOR support phone mail is down, Can't leave a message. Bad luck. Call about six times but line is always busy. Then they close at 4pm my time. No after hours support for registering! Ut-oh, work harder on getting internet connected fast. crap, lost internet on the other computer. Can't send support email, or ask for help on forums. An hour later, not sure why, vista internet connects. I wish I knew what I did to make that happen. ok Show is supposed to start in 15 minutes, I can do it. FedEx comes to door. I see driver walk right through yard instead of clear sidewalk! I consider yelling from door but see he made it back to truck without pulling any plugs. Register LOR was a snap now. Hmmm usb485 won't control lights. Its pouring rain so I go outside to look at wiring & GFCIs. OH NO! a cover was blown off a controller! The one with screws lost in the grass! Not too wet, still blinking,scrounge a screw. Back to usb485, ahh wrong com port. Contolling lights now! yea! Wait, Show won't start! keep trying keep waiting...dang the time zone is wrong, pc thinks its only 3pm. Call wife and get out of baby daycare pickup. Verify...doh! all the folder names are different. Show not found. Sequences not found. Recreate the show and schedule fast.

Phew ! only 20 minutes past my scheduled start time and its running. Mentally pats own back a little prematurely.
Wait...all the lights went off... shoot screen saver kicked in at 10 minutes and stopped show..set higher. Won't start back up.. shoot, reboot and it starts again. Wow Vista reboots a lot faster than XP. No Lights again? Dang...now power saver kicked in and shut off pc. Another outage, grrrr won't start up.. Reboot again and it going PHEW!

Finally...go back to see what is wrong with former show computer. Find MUTE was selected on volume control. Didn't need to change show computer. Look on keyboard and find a mute key on right edge. I never knew that was there. Hang head and go to bed before show is even over.

LOL

Sorry...but I had to laugh...

knowing that some day, something like that will happen to all of us...

if it hasn't already!!

Jeffrey wrote:

Only laughing because I can see myself in your shoes! :D I think we've all had "those" days.

Boy! aint that the truth!!! And some of us have been there and done something like that.. :D

Goes to show what we will do to get out display up and running. I traveled alot this year and was way behind on getting my display setup. After several nights setting up in the dark I got it all done and started up the Saturday after Thanksgiving. It can be a pain but well worth it in the end. And I still call it fun. LOL

Sorry to hear of your woes. I guess on the plus side now you have a Real Backup PC!!!! Always sucks when your doing stuff in a flurry of activity just to get the lights on...

Wow! that's a rough night! My show computer was getting a bit long in the tooth this year too. (still running Windows ME!) I upgraded my wife's computer and decided to put her old Dell out there. So far working very well. Last year I was thinking that my speakers may need to be replaced the sound was a bit distorted at the higher volumes. But with the new computer all is well.

My new file server would work admirably for shows. Acer Aspire Revo. its a nettop, requiring a Monitor, Key/Mouse. It is a nice small device, lower power. Perfect as a lightweight file handling server. find them for about 200 bucks.

• The topic was locked