Light-O-Rama Forums

Board not working after being SOAKED by rain

Panteradon

:( I have a box that got left open last night. This morning two circuits were on even though no show was running. I unplugged the boxes. At this point I did not know a box was open.

I tested a show this afternoon and it all worked. Tonight it rained harder and when the show started, Nothing on the box worked. I went outside to check the circuits and non in the garage were tripped. I went out front to discover the box wide open and SOAKED inside from the rain.

The red light is blinking in the box when no show is running.

Should I just dry it out with a hair dryer in the morning and hope it works. Is there anything I should look for?

Don

Not being a smarta$$, but I'd look for what/who keeps opening the box. Maybe use the hairdryer tonight and let the box sit open all night inside, then tomorrow re connect it up and test.

I had the same type of issue, except it was a combo rain/Asian beetle infestation. I cleaned out the bugs, loosened the board from the case and set it over a furnace vent and an hour later it was dry. After replacing the fuses (which had both browned) it worked okay. I agree with bisquit - I'd have a big stick in my hand and be looking around for whoever keeps opening the case.

Are you guys suggesting that Panteradon should give himself a beating? Box was LEFT open, wonder who did that?:(

Then it rained twice, but Don only went out to the box once, after the last rain.

OKAY OKAY.

I have beaten myself silly. (I am actually blaming my brother in law). I should have checked the box after the first night, but it never dawned on me that it could be open.

It is still raining so I will pull the box off of the post in themorning and dry it out. If there is only a blown fuse, I will stop beating my self. Otherwise, the beatings will continue.

Bruised in Houston,

Don

Bring it in and dry it out. Don't rush it -- you're going to want to try it after a few minutes (I've been there-- had snow get in a box once) but don't. Try the hair-dryer, then let it sit for 8+ hours, preferably overnight. After that, inspect again. If there's ANY trace of water, STOP and keep drying it.

Then power it on and hope for the best. The board is most likely salvageable. If you get lucky, it will just work. If not, you might need to replace some components, but it is unlikely to be totaled.

Panteradon wrote:

OKAY OKAY.

I have beaten myself silly.  (I am actually blaming my brother in law).  I should have checked the box after the first night, but it never dawned on me that it could be open.

It is still raining so I will pull the box off of the post in themorning and dry it out.  If there is only a blown fuse, I will stop beating my self.  Otherwise, the beatings will continue.

Bruised in Houston,

Don

I hate to burst your bubble of hope, but if it was a blown fuse, you wouldn't get a blinking light. But not all is lost -- see my prior post.

I've had one that I had to rinse with denatured alcohol, and a toothbrush, followed by an overnight dry before I could revive it.

Well, I pulled the box even though it is pouring rain. The fuses are NOT blown. This could be bad.

We will see in the morning. I have the unit drying out now.

I hope they have a box in stock I can get overnighted.

Don

KLB's advise is the professional way of removing water from a board.

Denatured Alcohol displaces water.

Because a fuse did not open does not mean you have major problems, water on the internal circuitry could keep the micro-controller from running and it might be your only issue. Wait for the board to dry out. BTW: you could put the board only into your oven set to WARM (180 degrees or less). Do not put the box in the oven or you might have a new enclosure design.

Blown fuses tell me you have an external event happen.