Light-O-Rama Forums

Newb concerns---Vandals and security

JediKnight2

I am about a half a second from pulling the trigger on a 16 channel system...I do have some concerns/questions though....

This year has been AWFUL with pumpkin smashers...I mean its actually ridiculous! Never happened on my cul de sac...but all through my neighborhood pumpkins got smashed. Had a lady tell me her lights got pulled down a few times last year...We have been running lights on our home since we moved in...2000...and never had a light damaged, pulled down, stolen....I think my neighbors had some rhein deer get into the mood one night...but that is something I might do to be funny. So...while I have never had any DIRECT damage to my Christmas lights...it makes me nervous as I plan to move to the next step.

My plan right now is to move my box in every night...since I only have one it won't be a big deal...but how do you guys secure the box...to a pole cemented in the ground?

I am also looking for some sort of alarm to put in-line so if a line gets cut an alarm sounds...not necessarily the alarm that is in between the LOR and computer...but say a strand light...is there a such thing...

I was also concerned about theft...so I put my boxes in the garage...had to buy a lot more SPT2 for my extensions...but at least I know my controllers are safe...and dry.

There are lots of security threads here, as well as on PC.

For myself, I worry less about controller theft than outright vandalism of the display. Most folks don't know what controllers are, nor their value. Even so, I padlock mine with thick cable to a nearby fixed object (tree, usually). Sometimes I worry that this actually increases potential theft due to the increasing of perceived value ("why are those boxes padlocked? They must be expensive...")

I can remember only a couple threads over the past 6 years where controllers were outright stolen. I can remember countless ones where displays with controllers were vandalized, but the controllers were unharmed...

Up until a few years ago, I had some controller boxes just sitting unsecured on the ground, about 8' from the curb... As the increased publicity of animated displays happened (the "Carson effect") I decided I'd better add some security...

We also use security cameras, including a new one this year that I can monitor remotely via internet and pan/tilt/etc.

I think another thing to look at is how much does the rest of your neigborhood light up? If you live on a street or subdivision that has a good percentage that put up lights it's less likely you have problems. I'm not talking animated but any lights in general. I've lived where I was one of very few to start with and the kids would come buy and twist short srings out. They would just twist the bulb in the socket go to the next and so on until the string went out. Then on to the next string and so on. Always within easy reach of the road or drive that they could beat a path out quickly if they had to. As more people around lit up and probably as the kids matured a little that would go away. Where I live now plenty are putting up lights when nobody did when I moved there. I think that's my influence, as they figure geez this guy puts up all these lights we should at least do something. I have one that is two doors before me that I think once his little guy out grows blowups he will go animated also. He has asked questions and he already knew who Rich Holdman was, so he has done some looking. I'm always willing to loan out a string of lights here or there if someone asks, just because I figure the more that do put up lights the less likely you are to have a problem.

Lenny

Guest Don Gillespie

What have done over the years is I have made a 300 foot cable with the ends looped then I thread it through everyone of my displays with a lock at each end it helps if you wrap one end around a big tree, I also had to install 3 cameras outside we had a lot of theft over the years I found the cameras and the cables did the trick I don't hide the cable I make sure people can see it even the drunk guys leave everything alone, as for the LOR controllers I have them mounted in my carport away from the elements and out of view of the public it did mean I had to make longer extension cords but that was the easy part.

What I do is leave my LOR controller on my garage floor and run long extension cables to each of my light displays. I then close the garage door and throw the horizontal lock into place which keeps the door from being raised. Then I disconnect the trolly from the door so I don't accidentally hit the opener and ruin my door. Vandals may still be able to destroy my lights, but they'll NEVER get my LOR box.

Well...what I think I am going to do is put a fence post in the ground...one of those green flat ones...mount my box to that and then pad lock the box to a cemented eye bolt....in addition...just in case someone just tries to vandalize it...I am going to place a Doberman Security Glass vibration sensor inside...that way if someone kicks it, etc it will sound off....I make it sound like I live in a horrible place...I really don't...just I cannot afford to have one stolen or vandalized...

Attached files 190641=10700-doberman.jpg

JediKnight2 wrote:

Well...what I think I am going to do is put a fence post in the ground...one of those green flat ones...mount my box to that and then pad lock the box to a cemented eye bolt....in addition...just in case someone just tries to vandalize it...I am going to place a Doberman Security Glass vibration sensor inside...that way if someone kicks it, etc it will sound off....I make it sound like I live in a horrible place...I really don't...just I cannot afford to have one stolen or vandalized...

Hmmmm, I am not sure about that sensor. It looks like it should work if it is a true vibration sensor. Some of those types of sensors are tuned more to the frequencies of breaking glass and don't contain motion sensing at all. Since this is fairly inexpensive, I'm guessing it is basically sensing motion and not sound?

I hope you plan on mounting it in such a way that it is not noticeable. I see it has an on-off switch! In the dark, no one is going to see that without a flashlight, but you never know who might be smart enough to turn it off or smash it.

I'll be interested in knowing if it works and how sensitive it is. Might be a good to scare off some thiefs if it goes off.

Like Tim, I have always been more worried about intentional damage than theft. Fortunately, we have never had an incident in over 16 years of doing this stuff. Two years ago we caught some kids in the act of "about" to cause trouble (motion sensors alerted us).

It's a vibration sensor...so if you set it..and tap it it will go off. I plan on placing it INSIDE the case...that way when it goes off .... your not getting to it unless you take the time to take the cover off.