Light-O-Rama Forums

16kpc Chanel's come on and stay on

tjmarty

I just built 3 units they tested okay in hardware utility but ran i am running the show certain Chanel's will light and stay light until it is used by the sequence then for no reason will come on again and stay. All three new units are doing it .They ctb16kpcv1 kits. I down loaded the new version of software V2.6.0 And Updated firmware v 4.32 and still the same problem any body have any ideas.

Thanks in advance.

Tony

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mark h2o

• stachows

• HillBilly4Ever

• SteveA

Hey Tony,

I'm seeing the same thing with one controller for what seems to be 13 of the 16 channels. A second controller seems to be doing is but much less and only 1 or 2 channels. They randomly come on when they should not. Then, if the sequence playing actually tells them to come on they work and do whats expected but when they should be off, they randomly come back on. I saw other posts talking about not having enough load on the channel but i don't think that is the issue as each channel is running one set set of 100 lights and 60 LED per channel. Both controllers were purchased new back int he spring fromt he sale and this is the first time being used.

If any one has any wisdom, please help! This problem is really making a mess!

thank you

Joe

Hey Guys

I was on the same thought proccess as Steve with the Cat5..I actually did have my wires crimped wrong in the RJ-45 in the 2 new cables i made up. (Everything was working, but the wire pairs were not as they should have been).

I corrected the cables and the problem is still happening. Last year I had 2 controllers and no issues. This year 5. I disconnected one, #5, and #3 is the worst running 16 channels on 2 arches. In some cases, as many as 13 channles come on or get stuck in a shimmer when they should not be on at all. #4 picks up a stray once in a long while, #4 is running 16 channels on 2 arches as well. In my testing of my corrected cat5, I also noticed #2 is also having a stuck channel here and there but once again, nothing close to what #3's issue. The interesting part, if the currently runnign sequence actually tells the stuck channel to activate, it does go back to working. Also, any stuck channels turn off when a sequence ends. Almost seems like they are picking up a signal to tun on but nothing ever tells them to turn back off until they actually get a signal or the sequence end at which point the software may send a "all off" command.

For what its worth, 1,2,3,4 are dasiy chained in that order so its not even the furtherest out controller having the most issues. I am running about 200-250 feet of cat5 using the USB adaptor. Maybe thats too much for it?

All controllers are on the same firmware, and the 3 new ones came with the same firmware that my original 2 came with.

I am seeing the EXACT same thing happen.

I am ready to pull my hair out...

I have 12 LOR controllers, this is my 4th Year, and have NEVER seen this yet...

This is happening on OLD an NEW controllers alike. Some have 300 lights some just a few.

It happens to almost every song now, and is usually one or two channels per song.

I also have a CCR and iDMX. I have no LOR ID conflicts.

This is very frustrating :shock:. I have created all new sequences, updated all the firmware, and am running the latest version of everything...

Still no fix.

Scott.

I had the same exact thing happen to me last year and this year.

I added two more controllers this year. During testing of the new controllers I never had an issue. I ran all my sequences several times. These controllers run C7 lights on the house and have a minimum of 105 watts on each channel.

I re formatted my desk top pc this year and routed the cat5 further away from any major power sources.

I am using the USB cable with filters and even have a longer cable going to the transmitter to get it a little further away.

I thought that this cured the issue only to have it resurface again AFTER I hooked my other controllers up. Now every controller is having issues with this (channel hang) as we called it last year.

I explained to Dan what was going on last year but was unable to find a cure for it. Without being able to see the setup it's very difficult to troubleshoot.

It seems like more and more people are having issues with this and I believe that whatever is causing this will be the same for everybody.

I hope we can find a cure soon because these shows are almost unwatchable with all of these channels sticking on, shimmering and doing what ever they want to do.

Scott, what have you changed or added this year becides the sequences and firmware.

Last year was my first year and it happend to me right off the bat, plus other issues. So I really have no 'before' to work off of.

I know exactly how everybody feels. I almost feel like telling every car that comes by that I really didn't sequence the songs that way, lol.

I'm hoping Dan can reply and he might have an answer to this.

I think the trick or quick fix/bandaid would be to send off signals to the channels that are actually not doing anything to help keep them off. Once mine come on...they stay on until a signal comes along to turn on and back off then they clear for a bit and come back on. Sending off signals ever few seconds to non active channels might just be the fix but would require a change to the program.

Would this be possible Dan (AKA "the man who can save Christmas")?

Just checked all connections to 7 controllers. Problem in new boxes.Disconnected on at a time, and ran a program.If I disconnect both new boxes program runs fine. Hook up one box,problem reappears. Disconnect the new box and try the other new box and problem still there. Disconnect both boxes problem goes away. Problem is in new boxes.

Are any these "new" boxes v6 or the new v7 boxes as this could be a clue? It will be silkscreened on the board. Not sure about the PC boards, but CTB16DV6 is on the right side of my DIY boards. I figure the v7 will be in the same place, but have not seen one. I did read that the v7 boards also have some different hardware that required different (4.40) firmware. If they are v7, what color are they. My V6 boards are blue.

Hmm... Interesting...

This year I added three new controllers. All PC kits. Explains why I have the problem this year, but not last year.

What if find interesting, is that the lights that come on are channels that are not even used in that sequence, or that part of the sequence.. They just magically turn on. Those channels do work normally if I tell them to turn on (and off) but I see no reason why they would just turn on on thier own???

Also, my controllers, old and new all say CTB16PC V1.

At this time, all my boards are green but i didn't check for any version numbers on them. Last year i soldered up my own boards, this year, my 3 new ones made more sense to buy them already soldered and just put the kit together.

I have been seeing it mainly on 2 new controllers from the spring sale but I also saw at least one channel on my old controller (used last season with out issues) do the same thing. Thats why i'm thinking it might be software related.

In the case of where I am seeing the most trouble is my Arches as some songs don't even use them at all.

Any one have an easy way to try with an older version of the software?

Tried with old software and all versions of program. You need to un plug your new boxes and see if problem goes away. Thats what I did,and used just my 5 old controlers and program has no problem. plug up just one new controller and problem comes back. Up dated all old controllers with new firmware and problem stays with new controllers.

Unplugged my three new controllers and the problem (and a big chunk of my lights) goes away. Plug in a new controller, and problem is back...

This morn I started the lights again and right off the bat lights were sticking on the house and arches.

I unplugged the last two controllers from last year and the problem was still there. So the problem had to be with the first set of controllers from last year.

From there I replaced the cat5 from the PC to the first and second controllers and routed the cable away from where the power comes into the house. Ran the program for half an hour and no channels stuck on that I could see. It has never done that before.

I noticed that the sheathing stripper on my cable crimpers were cutting into the cat5 wire. So I peeled the outer sheathing back like a banana and trimmed it off then put the ends on.

I'm also wondering if EMF was causing issues. Every time I run it from my notebook for testing I use a spare comm wire laid out in the middle of the driveway and yard with no issues. It's when I use the setup I originally put in that I start having major issues.

I guess the real test will be tonight. I just have a strange feeling that it will be back.

Time for some adult egg nog:D