Light-O-Rama Forums

Lights.

Robert G.

Just have a few questions about the lights:

About how many lights total can the standard 1-16 channel (1 controller) LOR support? Is there any way I can find out how many lights I have?

Would another type of fuse work in the LOR besides the 15A?

About how many lights total can the standard 1-16 channel (1 controller) LOR support? Is there any way I can find out how many lights I have?

You will need to do a little homework on your end. You didn't tell us exactly which kind of controller you have, so here is the product matrix that shows the specs for each one: http://lightorama.com/Documents/AC_ControllerMatrix.pdf

Assuming, for example, you have the CTB16PC board with high power heat sinks, you are limited 8 amps (960 watts) per channel. In addition, channels 1-8 collectively are limited to 15 amps (1800W) and channels 9-16 are also limited to another 15A (1800W), when plugged into a separate wall outlet on a different circuit.

All of your light strands should have tags that tell you how many amps/watts each uses. Mini-light sets of 100 are usually between 0.2 and 0.4 amps (24W and 48W). LEDs are usually around 0.04 amps (~5W) for the same number of lights. C7 bulbs and C9 bulbs are usually 5W and 7W, respectively, although they do exist at 7W and 10W also.

Watts = Volts (120V in North America) * Amps
Amps = Watts/Volts (e.g. Watts/120)

Would another type of fuse work in the LOR besides the 15A?

No. Don't try to overload it or you may melt it. The fuse is there for a reason.

Robert G. wrote:

About how many lights total can the standard 1-16 channel (1 controller) LOR support? That depends on the type of lights you're using. The controller can handle up to 30 amps of power flowing through it. Each side can handle up to 15 amps total and, presuming you have the heavy-duty heat sinks installed, a single channel can handle up to 8 amps Is there any way I can find out how many lights I have? I think the best method is to simply count them. Would another type of fuse work in the LOR besides the 15A? Personally, I wouldn't try to find out.

Robert G. wrote:

Is there any way I can find out how many lights I have?

Umm ? count them? I think you may have meant how many are on and the total power.

This utility will help you determine if you are overloading anything.

http://www.t2lights.com/christmas/lorutility.html

Do not put in a bigger fuse. Instead reduce the number of lights or don't have them all on at once. Try a lower intensity when they are all on.