Light-O-Rama Forums

Attaching to Stucco

bryandolan

I am thinking of using a dab of clear silicone caulking on the back of the CCR to attach to an arch over my entryway (Stucoo covered styrofoam arch)

Any thoughts to how this would work out using dabs of this around the arch and letting it set?

Well, my thought (for what it's worth) is . . .

How ya gonna get it back down?

My experience with silicone caulk is that it one of the most difficult things to remove (other than that little label at the foot of my mattress). Once set, it sticks extremely well to anything it is in contact with. It will come down, but my concern would be for the safety of your CCR. And it would more likely pull some of the stucco from the arch.

You might consider screw eyes or hot glue. Hope this helps.

Cray

I don't have the CCR...yet...so I don't know how heavy the ribbon is, but what about those command adhesive strips? I have had luck with them and as long as you get the ones that are rated pretty heavy, you shouldn't have a problem. They also remove very easily without any residue.

Is there a thread on attaching ccr to pvc for a arch. Yesterday I used the pull ties and perhaps made one to snug as it shorted out the strand. When i removed the tie, i could wiggle the strand and get it back on. So, now i want to glue them to the pvc, but am having no luck at all with glue, as the silicone sleeve just wont allow any adhesives stick to it.

so far i've tried goop, i cleaned the strand with adetone, wire brush. tried epoxy. now i am experimenting with Kilz. The way it looks, i might be back to ties, but being moe careful at what points in the strand i tie. (i will try silicone today)

Also, I used a tupperware like container to place my controller in, with a notch in the rim for the wires. Seems adequate, but i don't have snow like some of you.

i am content with Legacy mode, as it has allowed me to be much more creative with the strand. I have two arches, and can make waterfalls, shooting stars, fireworks, and such, as well as chasing arches.

What about that putty stuff they use for pictures and what not that come off easly without removing paint? Many schools require you to use this and not be putting holes in the walls.

-Pat

That thread seemed to discuss more about the housing than how to secure the ribbon to the pvc pipe.

I did not get a chance to try silicone, but seem to have had luck with a commercial grade of polyurethane sealant called Geocel 3300. I still have that short, and I hope glueing it to the pipe will act like a cast and keep it from moving and shorting again.

Word to the wise, be careful not to tie where there are circuit components, and not to tight. It, the ribbon, seems very sensitive.

I haven't started yet but my plan is to use velcro.

I plan on attaching the velcro to the ribbon and to the pvc pipe for the arch. That way I can take the ribbon off the pvc when I store it off-season. I could also use it again for Halloween or something else by using velcro on the new structure.

Tip: not much will stick to the ribbon. experiment with small sections of glue and or velcro to make sure you are convinced its holding. i cleaned the backside with acetone, and finally settled on a polyurethane sealant, but didn't try silicone which might work.

here are some pictures of my double arches, showing the controller box I used. 75 channels legascy RGB.

Attached files 187885=10613-IMG_0932.JPG

• The topic was locked